Statman and Robin - can't fool us

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

And virtually all the time against 3rd division opposition which makes the stat irrelevant

Nope - the stats is the stats
Facts are facts

come on

Give in

Own up

He's got the second highest win ration in our football club's entire history

You get that from winning games

• Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Jack the Hat
4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nobody has ever said he's the second best manager mate - not once

But he has the second best win ratio - that HAS been said, claimed and is fact

There will be plenty of other threads so if I was you I’d skip this one to avoid embarrassment. That is if this post and the hitler one is anything to go by because- do you know what - the OP has NAILED this one to the door! Contender for post of the year.

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

So you only want facts that support your argument? The truth is very obvious to see. He's a decent manager who has turned the club around but when it comes to big games he's not been very successful. 

There's some strong evidence that basically a team will perform in line with it's wage bill. It's borne out by lots of research. Part of it is obvious really, it's clear that teams like Man City will do better than Bournemouth. Transfer fees don't really have an effect, it's just the wage bill. A good manager is someone who consistently gets a team to do better than that, something Wilkinson did at Hillsborough for instance. Moore hasn't done that, I'm on his side and back him but I don't get anyone right now who doesn't think there are question marks. 

Have you read Soccernomics? I

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nobody has ever said he's the second best manager mate - not once

But he has the second best win ratio - that HAS been said, claimed and is fact

This is how you can be misled by stats and even ‘facts’

Before claiming a good win percentage you also need to consider the competition level.

Lets not even pretend to believe our current manager’s record compares with Catterick, Buckingham etc unless it can be achieved  in the top division. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Blatter said:

This is how you can be misled by stats and even ‘facts’

Before claiming a good win percentage you also need to consider the competition level.

Lets not even pretend to believe our current manager’s record compares with Catterick, Buckingham etc unless it can be achieved  in the top division. 

They had top division players - Moore doesn't have that

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Moore, and before any cries let me finish, is a bit like Benitez at Everton.

He got results but everyone hated the football, they allow it as the results are there, but once the results go you are left watching boring football that is no longer working.

I am not saying Moore is there yet but we are in a rut. 3 terrible games in a row, 1 goal. The two wins prior were poor but you let them go as we win.

It, to me, feels like we are at a crossroads, we will either come out like last season and pick up win after win that this time will take us 2nd.

Or we will drift into 4th, the fans will be lost and we bow out in the semis to Derby.

You can feel the fans are being lost right now and the vocal few will become a majority. How many more poor performances before the attendances drop and the chants start?

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Have you read Soccernomics? I

I'd recommend Football Hackers: The Science and Art of a Data Revolution if you've not already read it. It talks a lot about data, how you can use it, but also that it's not the be all and end all. There's references to Brentford, Klopp and it highlights certain things you perhaps knew but didn't know much about

7 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

He got results but everyone hated the football, they allow it as the results are there, but once the results go you are left watching boring football that is no longer working.

I am not saying Moore is there yet but we are in a rut. 3 terrible games in a row, 1 goal. The two wins prior were poor but you let them go as we win.

It, to me, feels like we are at a crossroads, we will either come out like last season and pick up win after win that this time will take us 2nd.

Or we will drift into 4th, the fans will be lost and we bow out in the semis to Derby.

You can feel the fans are being lost right now and the vocal few will become a majority. How many more poor performances before the attendances drop and the chants start?

Our results will pick up though

Many of the posts are all saying 'we are probably going to get worse and not go up' but there's no evidence that's the case at all

Once the key players are back and we're firing again most people will settle back down and only those fans who have been screaming for Moore's head since August will remain dissenting voices 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Jack the Hat
5 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I'd recommend Football Hackers: The Science and Art of a Data Revolution if you've not already read it. It talks a lot about data, how you can use it, but also that it's not the be all and end all. There's references to Brentford, Klopp and it highlights certain things you perhaps knew but didn't know much about

Ok thanks

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Our results will pick up though

Many of the posts are all saying 'we are probably going to get worse and not go up' but there's no evidence that's the case at all

Once the key players are back and we're firing again most people will settle back down and only those fans who have been screaming for Moore's head since August will remain dissenting voices 

That is the hope.

We are in a rut that needs a change. We haven’t looked like scoring for a while now. The players need to step up and act like they’re good enough. Moore needs to make subs quicker. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They had top division players - Moore doesn't have that

Check Catterick’s record. 
With the exception of Ron Springett , he  achieved his record with a group of players from the second division. Several did become recognised top division players even England Internationals but only after playing under Catterick.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Guest Jack the Hat
16 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Yeah and a few similar books. 

I thought so as I have just started and straight away it talks about how there is no correlation between transfer fees and success but there are wages and success.  I picked that up from your post .makes a mockery of the win percentage stat really. We should be doing better based on deeper stats!

2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Check Catterick’s record. 
With the exception of Ron Springett , he  achieved his record with a group of players from the second division. Several did become recognised top division players even England Internationals but only after playing under Catterick.

The same could happen with Moore

• Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Jack the Hat
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

With far better players

When Atkinson took over we had low grade top flight players. Hirst wasn’t established. Our best striker was Steve witton. Whereas Moore has chaps players in league 1

22 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

Not sure this is entirely fair. Until the last few games Moore has been playing pretty attacking football. We've scored a decent amount of goals and generally started games very much on the front foot.

Clearly the last few games hasn't been like that but generally speaking I wouldn't describe Moore as someone who plays boring football.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1