FIFA Club World Cup

Essix Blue

9 hours ago, owls maniac said:

There’s far too much football on TV as it is. 

Fifa are a total disgrace and only interested in making a buck. They couldn’t care less about the fans or player welfare. 

How will the European teams qualify?

I think the plan was for the previous 4 winners of champions league and europa league to qualify when it was going to be 24 teams. A 32 team tournament is going to need more than 8 European clubs though so no idea how it will be decided. 

13 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Infantino said something today that he wanted this club thing to be as big as the WC.

He is delusional enough to think that all English people are going to support Chelsea or something. We’d all be wanting them to lose more likely. 

Did anyone even care when Man U won it in 2008… bet Fergie doesn’t even remember being there… wearing the World Club Cup badges in their domestic games looked embarrassing to me. 

But I guess this will be a big budget version, with an even higher bid from the host. 

The main problem for me is if the top 8 Prem clubs that sign up get £££££££££££££ then our league will be even more fizzed. 

And I don’t need to see Riverplate vs Chelsea or some Chinese team. I’m sure we can all live happily without it. 

• Like 3

But this is where the “legacy fans” thing comes in.

Are most of the British audience bothered about Chelsea vs Riverplate or some Chinese team? No. But how does that potential audience stack up vs audiences that will watch it? Especially if somewhere like China is the host?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Are most of the British audience bothered about Chelsea vs Riverplate or some Chinese team? No. But how does that potential audience stack up vs audiences that will watch it? Especially if somewhere like China is the host?

All about the cash isn't it. 

Are the "legacy" fans worth as much as the fans from abroad, the casuals etc., who will never attend an actual game in their lives? 

In pure money terms, I can't imagine the "legacy" fans (the proper ones) come remotely close. 

The game in this country sold its soul the minute the PL was greenlit and it has been going down a slippery slope ever since. 

7 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

The betting companies are gunna love it

15 hours ago, MSN SYSOP said:

Let them all fk off if they want..but when it t1ts up and want to come back then they start in the bottom tier of our leagues. 

Unfortunately the big boys hold all the aces, so domestic leagues will fall over themselves to accommodate them. Might end up with biggest teams having enormous squads (so hoovering up even more talent) so they can fight in multiple competitions.

Don't think we've factored in the feelings from the players.

The last thing they will want is more football and travel in a crowded calendar already.

I mean yes they get paid eye watering amounts at the top level. However you aren't risking an injury and burnout in a 2nd rate tournament.

Glorified pre season friendlies, somewhere for the die hard fans to go for their holidays as well.

Won't  be on my radar as no way will this be on free to watch TV. 

I wonder at what stage players will refuse to take part in these schemes?  if you think of it as work, if my boss told me to do loads of extra shifts for no extra money, I wouldn't be best pleased. 

This would only work if the big clubs were able to create spin-off squads for the new tournament.

So they’d have their squad for their domestic league and cup, another for continental competition, and one for global.

Means the clubs could potentially play two fixtures on the same day in different competitions.

It will centralise power and wealth even further, and will cheapen domestic leagues. In short, a select few will be better off to the detriment of many, and for that reason it will happen sooner rather than later.