Byers back

Adeniran is coming back to fitness, with FDB, Backinson and Voulks we've still got plenty of bodies in midfield.

If Byers and Bannan are both out for a while Windass gets to play in his preferred position at the front of midfield with Gregory and Smith up top with Paterson able to cover for anyone of that lot would love Byers back but if we have to be a bit more direct until he's back then we'll be ok

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Adeniran is coming back to fitness, with FDB, Backinson and Voulks we've still got plenty of bodies in midfield.

If Byers and Bannan are both out for a while Windass gets to play in his preferred position at the front of midfield with Gregory and Smith up top with Paterson able to cover for anyone of that lot would love Byers back but if we have to be a bit more direct until he's back then we'll be ok

Well now you’ve put it like that

Id not risk Byers for a while yet

We could hopefully be heading for a squad and formation that picks itself instead of being tampered with all the time

And I love the sound of this direct football 

I’d love us to have a go at some of that

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, horny owl said:

Well now you’ve put it like that

Id not risk Byers for a while yet

We could hopefully be heading for a squad and formation that picks itself instead of being tampered with all the time

And I love the sound of this direct football 

I’d love us to have a go at some of that

I know it was different opposition but when Adeniran, FDB and Backinson played as a midfield 3 the opposition just couldn't handle them.

As long as we play with some tempo we'll be ok with whoever plays

He must have read my spouting and came back before the needle was primed, hope at the very least he makes the bench this week-end. We have missed Byers and for all the midfielders we have, and I think they are all capable, he offers something different , he retains the ball well giving others the chance to catch their breath. I think like BB he changes the tempo puts his foot on the ball and looks for the telling pass. He is nearly always available to our defenders to take some pressure off them which gives them more confidence passing out from the back. He also chips in with goals and offers something different from corners and set plays so will be great to get him back hopefully with no setbacks.

On 13/12/2022 at 07:30, Sultan_Pepper said:

Good post.

And let’s be totally honest, 90% of us would prefer us to be more direct, even with Baz on the pitch. I’m not a ‘gerrit forward’ but we are twice the team when we play with higher tempo.

• Like 2

Easily one of our most influential players.

We focus on his ability to keep our play flowing but we maybe under-appreciate his goal-scoring.

A comparison with our strikers this season:-

Byers 3 in 773 - goal every 257 mins

Gregory 4 in 1087 - goal every 272

Smith 4 in 1197 - goal every 299 

Windass 4 in 1489 - goal every 372

(Smith & Windass includes one pen)

And it’s no fluke. After his long lay-off last season his record was superb, with 6 goals in 1350 mins.

So he’s scored 9 in his last 2120 minutes - extraordinary for a midfielder. It’s Lampard/Gerrard territory.

Wonderful player. Hope he’s back soon and that he stays healthy for the season.

37 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Easily one of our most influential players.

We focus on his ability to keep our play flowing but we maybe under-appreciate his goal-scoring.

A comparison with our strikers this season:-

Byers 3 in 773 - goal every 257 mins

Gregory 4 in 1087 - goal every 272

Smith 4 in 1197 - goal every 299 

Windass 4 in 1489 - goal every 372

(Smith & Windass includes one pen)

And it’s no fluke. After his long lay-off last season his record was superb, with 6 goals in 1350 mins.

So he’s scored 9 in his last 2120 minutes - extraordinary for a midfielder. It’s Lampard/Gerrard territory.

Wonderful player. Hope he’s back soon and that he stays healthy for the season.

very true and top analysis fella . 

• Thanks 1

George Byers -

Always looking to make a forward pass.

Always available to receive a pass.

Always makes the right pass selection.

Always dangerous in the 18 yard box.

Always tracks and helps out defensively.

Big, big, miss.

Moore - just because he does the work of 3 players - it doesn’t mean you can therefore keep the lazy f.ooks in the side….:ph34r:

10 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Played only 4 games in the last 3 months. We’re fairly desperate to get him back. 

That’s an amazing stat, I didn’t realise we’d been without him for as many games as that.  I know every team gets injuries but Byers takes us to another level of performance, a huge miss.