A point won | Darren Moore's post-Exeter reaction

Guest Jack the Hat
On 10/12/2022 at 18:32, Jim said:

3 defeats in 21 games. One of the meanest defences in the league and achieving 2 points a game which the masses on here were demanding yet the masses want him out. I’ll never understand our fan base as the likes of Lukuhay, Monk and Pulis never got the sh!t, our current manager gets.

Lukuhay and Monk got way worse than Moore. Lukuhay- after an injury crisis - got 20 points from the last 10 games in his first season and got the best out of Nuhui and Forestieri. I think Moore is well respected by a lot on here. Some people don't rate him - which is their prerogative - but Lukuhay and Monk both came to the club at bad times and it stayed bad. Moore has been allowed time and has a big budget for this league so considering we have only put perhaps 3 good performances together all season, can be expected to get some criticism.  He will be here all season so has the time and tools to prove people wrong unlike the other two.

20 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

As we have 42 points and every chance of getting to half way with between 45-50 then why not? 90-100 points over the season. I suspect we will get key players back and strengthen in January so it’s about staying within distance to the final straight 

We've can't  get to 50 points by half way through the season.

The best we can do is 48 points. That would be a good total, but means beating Oxford at home and Fleetwood away on Boxing Day.

At the half way stage last season the best 2 were Wigan with 51 and Rotherham 46.

• Thanks 1

Always unwise to post just after a disappointing result so with the dust having settled a bit, here's my considered opinion. 

Compared to the first half of last season we are doing a lot better so far in terms of results and points gained and are still on track for the magic 2 points per game which should get us automatic promotion. Certainly, if we put a run together like we did from January onwards last season then we'll be up. In isolation Saturday's result is pretty good and especially so considering we were scored so late to rescue a point. 

Where I have concerns (and where I think a lot of others are coming from) is that performances have been nowhere near what we saw from January to April, and we've been winning a lot of points by fine margins. Keep doing that and we're laughing but if those fine margins start to go against us then we could be heading for the lottery of the play-offs again. In fact, in a lot of games in the first half of last season we were creating a lot of chances but not putting them away and then being hit by a sucker punch, offensively we were playing pretty well and once we sorted the defence out a bit (and got over our horrendous injury crisis) we were away. 

We've still scored plenty of goals this season but on the whole, it seems like we're creating less chances and perhaps we're starting to see the impact of that with only 3 goals scored in the last 4 league games. Could be a blip but something seems to be missing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll add that the 2nd half on Saturday was the worst football we've played for a long time; it was almost like the players were scared to come near to the away support. I think it shows the influence of Bannan and why we really need him fit ASAP. 

Based on reputation Windass, Smith and Gregory (plus Wilks) should be tearing opposition defences to shreds but it's just not clicking up top and that's a real worry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

I'll add that the 2nd half on Saturday was the worst football we've played for a long time; it was almost like the players were scared to come near to the away support. I think it shows the influence of Bannan and why we really need him fit ASAP. 

Based on reputation Windass, Smith and Gregory (plus Wilks) should be tearing opposition defences to shreds but it's just not clicking up top and that's a real worry. 

The 4 plays are totally underperforming v there potential (particularly Windass) more or less the entire strike force seems a lack of effort and desire to me DM needs to get to grips will cost us in the end if we’re not careful 

20 hours ago, 1966 said:

The 4 plays are totally underperforming v there potential (particularly Windass) more or less the entire strike force seems a lack of effort and desire to me DM needs to get to grips will cost us in the end if we’re not careful 

This is totally true. 
They aren’t playing to what they should be. Not sure of the reason tbh but these sorts of players should be battling and showing their skill in abundance. 
After the Southampton game their players saying what great players we had. Well, not doing it in league one games, are they recently? 

5 hours ago, PriceAPP said:

This is totally true. 
They aren’t playing to what they should be. Not sure of the reason tbh but these sorts of players should be battling and showing their skill in abundance. 
After the Southampton game their players saying what great players we had. Well, not doing it in league one games, are they recently? 

Smith not effective without a direct style and service,Windass? Not a forward but an attacking midfield player(people forget this)Gregory? Out of favour? Unfit?

Playing it out is slowing us down and will cost us further dropped points

On 11/12/2022 at 09:17, Mountain Owl said:

I think the biggest problem with Datren is his lack of honesty. Thats just a red rag to a bull with many of our supporters. Wev'e been struggling for weeks now relying on 1-0 struggles or lucky breaks. 

Its far from convincing and we just need some forthright comments.

Movement on and off the ball not good enough, too slow in getting it forward, sloppy play leading to goals against. 

Supporters are more likely to back him if he shows awareness of our problems.

You suggest DM of being dishonest. This is a pretty big accusation. You then reference. “far from convincing “ performances on the pitch and tactics that you don’t approve of. Nothing to do with honesty. 
Why do you accuse DM of being dishonest? 

5 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

You suggest DM of being dishonest. This is a pretty big accusation. You then reference. “far from convincing “ performances on the pitch and tactics that you don’t approve of. Nothing to do with honesty. 
Why do you accuse DM of being dishonest? 

He never owns up when we're poor or admits our frailties in games. Giving honest comments is more likely to get supporters onside. It would show he's aware of the weaknesses and intends to do something about it.

On 12/12/2022 at 12:56, Tommy Crawshaw said:

We've can't  get to 50 points by half way through the season.

The best we can do is 48 points. That would be a good total, but means beating Oxford at home and Fleetwood away on Boxing Day.

At the half way stage last season the best 2 were Wigan with 51 and Rotherham 46.

My original point still stands then. Anywhere between 45-50(48 if we’re being specific) is automatic promotion form.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2022 at 21:30, Mountain Owl said:

He never owns up when we're poor or admits our frailties in games. Giving honest comments is more likely to get supporters onside. It would show he's aware of the weaknesses and intends to do something about it.

So let's get this straight - you want our manager to stand in front of press to discuss our frailties in order to please a few flapping drama queens?

I don't

I want him to ignore them and carry on getting promotion as he is doing

Sod the drama queens - they need ignoring

Owlstalk Shop