• Mighten
    • Paterson
    • Gregory
    • Iorfa
    • Smith
    • Bannan
    • McGuinness

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/12/22 at 23:43

Copied and pasted from the OMDT thread. Apologies if you've already seen it:

Well, why did the subs make so much difference? Was it because Bannan came on (and hence the rest of them started to take it seriously)? Was it because Wilks went off (so we weren’t playing with 10 men – actually 9 because FDB hadn’t turned up at that point)? Or was it because we switched from 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-2 and instantly had a formation that worked. FDB and Johnson were able to push further forward into roles that suited them better. We had more control in midfield. We had two strikers. Please, please, please Darren just open your eyes and see it.

Ratings

Dawson – 6 did fine. Made a couple of saves. No panic with the ball.

Hunt – 5 Oh dear. He suddenly looks out of his depth at this level.

Palmer – 9 MoM. A magnificent performance capped off by his fine ball for Johnson to set up our first

Ihiekwe – 7 No complaints. Hope he’s not seriously hurt.

Johnson – 7 a quiet game at full-back but his two crosses from wing-back changed the game for us

Vaulks -7 One of the few players who seemed to take it seriously from the off. Not especially effective but he certainly made the effort unlike….

Dele-Bashiru– 4  That bursting run at the end nearly gave us a third goal but he was content to walk through the game for the first 70 minutes. Truly awful lack of interest. Surely he only stayed on because we are so short on midfield options. On his last two performances he can leave. Thank goodness we haven’t spaffed a long-term contract on him.

Paterson – 6 As usual, not short of effort but had precious little impact.

Mighten 6 Another who can’t be accused of not trying but actually offered very little going forward. So easily goes to ground and loses the ball

Wilks 4 What a waste. Not only did he not run, he actually looked incapable of it. Was he knackered? He certainly played as if he was. We seemed to lose it almost every time he got the ball. I’d have been happy to replace him with ANYONE who could run a bit.

Gregory 6 Another mediocre performance from him. He’s not been at his best lately but I hope he soon recovers from this latest knock.

Subs

Bannan 7 – changed the whole atmosphere just by being Bannan

Smith 7 – 2 crosses, 2 goals. Gregory must have been cursing that he never got any crosses like that.

Iorfa 6 - OK

McGuinness – n/a sound as usual

With Windass and now possibly Gregory out we might have to call on Wilks again but NOT if we play 3-5-2 (with Paterson and Smith up front).

With Heneghan and now possibly Ihiekwe out we might have to bring Famewo back sooner than planned but a back 3 of Iorfa McGuinness and James should still do fine, pushing Palmer to wing-back.

11 hours ago, Brommers said:

Mighten has been excellent in recent games.

We've all seen this week that International players can be inconsistent so why can't some fans accept that of league 1 players?

Aren't we supposed to have the best squad in the league yet constantly reading posts that some of our players simply aren't good enough for the 1st team. 🤔

Hes not been "excellent" at all. In all his time here,  hes been ok v accrington and decent v morecambe. Thats it. He was anonymous v shrews and ineffective yesterday. Prior to that he was awful, so hardly excellent.

Maybe he came with too high hopes, but he has really struggled here.

I dont want us playing with 10 men, just to try and get him some confidence back for forest. Our sole aim is automatic promotion, nothing else. Id rather he went back in january and we picked up another premiership loan that can deliver for us this season and boost our cause

• Like 1

Nine sets of ratings so far (as I see Tamworthowl's marks on the other thread too) and these are the average scores:

Dawson: 6.3

Hunt: 3.6

Ihiekwe: 5.6

Palmer: 6.6

Johnson: 6.9

Wilks: 3.4

Vaulks: 5.6

Dele-Bashiru: 4.7

Mighten: 4.7

Paterson: 4.4

Gregory: 5.1

Iorfa: 6.0

Smith: 7.8

Bannan: 7.0

Will tally up the final scores at the end of the day, but Smith seems to have this one in the bag.

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Who plays the through ball to Johnson to square for the 1st goal? 

whoever that was gets MOTM 

It was Palmer but I don't think it made him MOM.

Then again no one stood out. If anybody Smith for his 2 goals. Says a lot about the rest when he was only on the pitch for 20 mins.

9 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

Hes not been "excellent" at all. In all his time here,  hes been ok v accrington and decent v morecambe. Thats it. He was anonymous v shrews and ineffective yesterday. Prior to that he was awful, so hardly excellent.

Maybe he came with too high hopes, but he has really struggled here.

I dont want us playing with 10 men, just to try and get him some confidence back for forest. Our sole aim is automatic promotion, nothing else. Id rather he went back in january and we picked up another premiership loan that can deliver for us this season and boost our cause

What a fine post, I agree with every word.  He seems to like falling over to get a free kick, and he's not even very good at that. We can't carry passengers, it's vital we continue to keep pace with the top two..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, morganowl said:

id drive mighton back . wilks though he can walk

Agree.

Was really excited for the Wilks signing but he’s not only been poor looks overweight and generally uninterested.

We have a bloated squad and as he’s now our player I hope Moore can get him turned round (mainly coz he won’t be going anywhere) but I’d much rather give Mightens playing time to young Davidson 

Dawson  -  6   Steady enough, one decent save, couldn't do much about the goal.

Hunt  -  5    Don't think he was as bad as a few are making out. Lack of match sharpness understandable as he's hardly played this season.

Ihekwe  -  5    Sketchy at times.

Palmer  -  6    See Ihekwe but an extra point for the pass leading to our first goal.    

Johnson  -  6   Looks lost when having to defend, better further forward, extra point for the 2 assists.

Vaulks  -  6    One of the few that came out of that shambles of a first half with any credit. Battled on despite not getting much help from the                                  other midfielders.

Dele F-B  -  3    Poor, looked so lethargic and just ambled about. I thought he would impose himself against a League 2 midfield but alas no.

Wilks  -  4    Don't know what to make of this guy. Sometimes it looks like he's never seen a football before. Offered nothing.

Paterson  -  3   You can usually rely on him to put himself about, but I think the worst performance I've ever seen from him.

Mighten  -  3    Did nothing, don't know how he managed to stay on for the full 90 mins. Lightweight and not a patch on NML or Theo Corbeanu.

Gregory  -  6   Battled and put a shift in throughout until his injury, with little support.

Subs;

Iorfa  -  6   Steady

Bannan  -  6   Added some composure to the midfield and lifted the team. Good ball that led to the winner.

Smith  -  7   MOM  for the 2 goals and being a handful that their defence struggled with.

McGuiness  -  Not really on long enough.

A shambles in the first half and lucky to go in only one down. Had no idea what the formation was supposed to be and the players looked like they didn't either. All over the shop.

A bit of a worry that some of the fringe players were awful against a League 2 side. They certainly didn't put up much of a claim to be starting.

8 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree.

Was really excited for the Wilks signing but he’s not only been poor looks overweight and generally uninterested.

We have a bloated squad and as he’s now our player I hope Moore can get him turned round (mainly coz he won’t be going anywhere) but I’d much rather give Mightens playing time to young Davidson 

i was also excited by both signings . ive spoken to someone a few weeks ago and was told about the lazy uninterested part about wilks ,i said i hope your wrong. 

• Like 1

Final scores, thanks to the 11 who voted:

SWFC vs Mansfield Town, 26th November 2022

Dawson: 6.2

Hunt: 3.6

Ihiekwe: 5.5

Palmer: 6.4

Johnson: 6.8

Wilks: 3.5

Vaulks: 5.6

Dele-Bashiru: 4.5

Mighten: 4.7