McGuinness

SLJ

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was chatting to an Ipswich fan recently and he reckons they've got the best squad in the division.

They've spent somewhere in the region of £5m in the past couple of seasons.

🤷‍♂️

Yeah, and I seem to remember an Ipswich fan saying: 'How can Wednesday claim to have the best squad when they have Bakinson, Stockdale and ...McGuinness!'

18 hours ago, Owls2k said:

It's a skill at any level.

But I don't judge a manager's success on little achievements, but the overall goal. 

We brought Moore in to save us from relegation, he failed. 

We should have got us promoted last year, we didn't. 

We have the best squad in the division this season, let's see where we land. 

I have no issue with Moore's recruitment, it's generally good but he's also been helped by the owner too. 

It's what he does with said players that is causing the reasonable questions.

Well said quality comment.

Yes Shipston was and was he used? Not saying he should have been but when he becomes part of the first team squad getting game time then Moore will get the praise he will then deserve 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mister Soul said:

Come back to me at the end of the season. The best squad in this league makes it better equipped by definition to deal with injuries whereas other clubs are not. .. 27 games left to play for

Correct, but also it's a huge benefit having real quality on the bench that would walk into the vast majority of other squads in the league. 

Add to that that we can also make 5 subs per game, allowing us to replace quality with quality. One concern is our subs often have the opposite effect to the intended one. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was chatting to an Ipswich fan recently and he reckons they've got the best squad in the division.

They've spent somewhere in the region of £5m in the past couple of seasons.

🤷‍♂️

I've just chatted to a Rhyl FC fan who said I'm right about everything, so there. 

13 hours ago, Dan™ said:

Best squad is a bit subjective isn't it, some might even say that it's a bit "convenient" for you to claim that. I distinctly remember when people said the same about us in the Championship with Carlos too, despite us being something like the 6th or 7th highest spenders at the time. Wolves spent over 30M one summer back then for example, but apparently we had some divine right to win promotion because Chansiri spent a bit too. If you expect perfection I suggest you just give up now, because you'll never be happy.

Would you still be critical of Moore if we finish the season with 100 points in 3rd place? Genuine question.

It's also convenient for people to ignore the quality we have in order to continue the erosion of more than reasonable reasonable expectations.

There are decent teams in this league but it's us who has the strength and depth. 

Yesterday's bench included Paterson (Champ and Prem experience), Wilkes (22 goals the last time he played at this level), Vaulks (dropped down from the Champ), Gregory (we know his quality) and Palmer (huge Champ experience). Let's be honest, it's an embarrassment of riches. 

As for Carlos, you are bang on with your assessment of the Championship, but that makes the point here as we're now a big hitter in this league. Our situation now is completely different to the thankless task of trying to compete with relegated prem teams with parachute payments. It's the vast majority of teams in this league that now look up to us with similar envy.

There's no arbitrary points total that means Moore is a success or not, it's about promotion and circumstances surrounding the outcome of the season. 

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

It's also convenient for people to ignore the quality we have in order to continue the erosion of more than reasonable reasonable expectations.

There are decent teams in this league but it's us who has the strength and depth. 

Yesterday's bench included Paterson (Champ and Prem experience), Wilkes (22 goals the last time he played at this level), Vaulks (dropped down from the Champ), Gregory (we know his quality) and Palmer (huge Champ experience). Let's be honest, it's an embarrassment of riches.

You're right, we do have a great squad for this level overall and we should be competing for the automatic places. The thing is though, we are competing for the automatic places, but the atmosphere around the club and manager still has a definite tinge of negativity floating around the place. It's really frustrating to see when we're currently doing so well.

Even if we do have the best squad, that guarantees absolutely nothing in terms of results. Changing managers is just as likely to see us drop to being another play-off chasing side as it is to make us into a cert for the automatics. Why would anyone want to take that gamble when we already look like competing this season?

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

There's no arbitrary points total that means Moore is a success or not, it's about promotion and circumstances surrounding the outcome of the season.

I completely agree with you. There's no points total to determine success, and the circumstances of what the other teams do is important to consider when judging our finishing position.

Falling way short of the automatic places and floundering in the play-offs means we're likely to consider giving another manager a shot next season. Failing to win promotion on 90+ points while pushing the top 2 all the way would be a different story, showing that we're still moving in the right direction and we'd be taking a massive risk to try changing things up for the following season.

Thankfully, I can't see Plymouth keeping up the pace, so as long as Derby don't pick up too much I think us and Ipswich will end up as the top two.

Storey mark 2 isn't he. PNE/Cardiff deem them not good enough for their squad, come to us and are our stand out defender for half a season in Storey's case and a full season in McGuiness's case, then go back to parent club and play week in week out. I couldn't believe PNE didn't want Storey last season and i'm the same with Cardiff and Mcguiness this season. He's easily a championship centre back, and Cardiff can't be blessed with options by the looks of their league position.

21 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Just oozes class .absolute monster in the air , strong but also very capable on the ball and no slouch either . 

would love to keep him but unfortunately I do feel he will end up going back . 

I do feel I’d be close to devastated if they have him back - especially with Heneghan being out. We will really miss him