Our formation (again)

2 hours ago, Albertowl said:

We had nothing going forward on the right. Completely unbalanced set up meant every time we went forward in the first half it was down our left flank. Bizarre when Palmer was sat on the bench. We should have been very easy to defend against. 

For the last 12 months we have scored for fun at home playing with wing backs and getting crosses in. Why have we abandoned a system that has clearly worked for us?

Yep. This totally.

1 hour ago, Box_Man said:

We won today because Shrewsbury couldn’t finish some gilt edge chances in the second half.

Formation wise we got worse the more DM changed it throughout the game.

Second half was a hard watch today. 

I was in disbelief at the end of the game when we never had anybody upfront to hold onto the ball when making clearances... The result being our clearances were then becoming (literally) the first (under no pressure) pass of their next attack... 

IMO Shrewsbury looked like they were going to be subjected to a massive defeat/ mauling early in the first half, but then we increasingly chose to sit back and so eventually gained the result through their shear lack of converting any goal scoring opportunities including the 3nr identical attempts (from memory) that required minimal curl on the ball (Sunday League Basics) to hit the bottom left of the goal... 

6 hours ago, reggae said:

Omg. I'm shocked. 

Owkstalk football managers don't understand our formation ?

Tell me more ?

I don't trust people who don't have an opinion on formations and tactics employed by the club they love.

It's a big part of supporting and always has been.

I find the considered poster's views interesting.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

We dont look convincing at all at the moment.

Im not complaing as i will happily take scrappy 1  0  wins, but feel we are riding our luck.

We miss Byers

And despite his 2 goals i dont think mighten is good enough for us. 

God knows what DM formation was however it was hard to watch and in the second half a better team would have punished us and taken points off Wednesday fact 

1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

I don't trust people who don't have an opinion on formations and tactics employed by the club they love.

It's a big part of supporting and always has been.

I find the considered poster's views interesting.

4 4 2 get it in there arf. 

Play same.teeyam every week. 

I could do a better job .

That ok ? 

15 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

I am increasingly confused what it is.

If you only watched the right-hand side of the pitch, it is like a 3-5-2 with Iorfa at right wing-back. But if you watched the left it is a 4-3-3 with Reece James at left back and Alex Mighten on the left wing.

You could say: "Well, it is a 4-3-3 and Windass is just tucking in offer the right wing", but he seemed to barely ever be on the right wing and was lining up more like a centre forward, so rather than tucked in it was like a completely different position (you can see below how he was our furthest player forward by a mile).

Windass went off in the 75th minute and played his last 7 minutes on the pitch on the left flank, so that has moved his average position dot a bit further to the left on the pitch map below than perhaps it should be. But I think even without those final 7 minutes, his average position would be somewhere to the left of the penalty spot.

Or was Dele-Bashiru our tucked in right midfielder in a 4-4-2? I give up. Whatever it was it worked (kind of).

1983086430_Screenshot2022-11-19at17_45_52.png.006cb76d389b5b04d935a9a2d4ce0b51.png

It's called flexibility 

It was definitely a 4-3-3 yesterday, albeit a very lopsided one.  Windass is nominally on the right, but we know he will never stay there so it leaves a big hole there.  Against better sides the right back will get overlapped as no cover, and against the weaker teams we will need an attacking full back, that doesn't really fit Iorfa's game.

Might be better switching Windass and Mighten, as when he Windass starts left he doesn't tend to roam as much as he does from the right.  I do wonder whether his roaming is with Moore's blessing, or whether he just can't help it. 

I thought the same SouthRustyOwl. It was a fairly bog standard 4-3-3, at least at the start. I think the perception that it’s lopsided is just a result of who is in the wide positions. At fullback, Reece James is comfortable on the ball and has a good range of passing, so he tends to stay deeper and pull wide to give himself space to get his head up. Iorfa is less comfortable in this regard so he pushes up the wing, so he’s effectively playing off the shoulder of his defender, which enables him to use his pace and power. No dig at Iorfa but it would probably look more balanced to the eye with Palmer at right back, as he’s more similar to James.

Similar thing with the forwards. Mighton is a natural winger, so he tends to stay wide on the left. Windass is a natural number 10, so whilst he’s nominally the right side forward, like you say he drifts around more. 

Now what it turned into in the last 15 minutes I’ve far less idea. I think it was meant to be that 4-2-2-2 we’ve used on occasions recently but by that point we were just digging in and lobbing bodies at things. 

Yeah was strange . 
I think going forward our best back 5 will be

palmer

ikky

mcguiness

famewo

james 

byers 

baz

dele / vaulks / Bakinson 

Smith

gregory

if it’s a back 4 it wants to be

palmer

ikky

mcguiness 

James 

I actually think Marvin Johnson could be used as a left mid in a 4-2-3-1 for example or 4-3-3 . 

• Like 1

I certainly think we play with some real fluidity in our systems this season. We seem to be set up so we can change numerous times during matches. There are differing opinions on our system the last few weeks so I’ve attempted to analyse in game what systems we use. 

I’ve noticed we played a very narrow 433 primarily, but this changes during the game numerous times. 

There was a point in the game yesterday when we played 4231 when Bannan went next to Bakinson and Mighten, Windass & Dele Bashiru played as the 3 behind Smith. 

We also looked to use a back 5 and Mighten drops into the LWB area and James shuffles into CB. 

There was also a point during the end of the game where we seemed to be playing a 433 except it was very unbalanced without anyone operating down the right wing. Gregory & Smith played next to each other & Wilks was playing at LW.