Ineffectiveness on Corners

6 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

We were top, or amongst the top in goals from Corners last season, that doesn't suggest we have been poor from Set-Pieces for years, and we have the same guy taking the majority of the Set-Pieces as we did last season.

I don't know about corners on their own, but in terms of goals from set pieces, we were around the same position in the league rankings last season as we are right now.

Screenshot_2022-11-17-11-24-10-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.47da6653a4052510de0b07913bad7432.jpg

It's goals conceded from set pieces which has seen a massive shift (in the right direction):

Screenshot_2022-11-17-11-26-28-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.89ae2f73ca607d582276829a83c8ca96.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-17-11-26-55-88_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.b8f6c82420d0210d8606b0fd7938f414.jpg

I'm amazed by the fact that Plymouth have only scored one and conceded one from set pieces so far this season, though. 

What are they doing at set pieces!?

• Like 2

On 16/11/2022 at 10:23, tjchitt86 said:

For a side with physical players such as McGuiness, Ihiekwe, Dele-Bashiru, Windass, Smith and Heneghan when he was fit , it's amazing how little a threat we pose at corners.

Can you make a thread every week?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/11/2022 at 10:23, tjchitt86 said:

For a side with physical players such as McGuiness, Ihiekwe, Dele-Bashiru, Windass, Smith and Heneghan when he was fit , it's amazing how little a threat we pose at corners.

Half is to do with delivery and the other half is the actual players in the box.

Bannan is clearly a fantastic player, peerless at this level with a brilliant passing range but I really wish Darren would let someone else have a go at an in-swinger on what would suit a right footed delivery. It was particularly bad at Accrington. He just looped the ball to the far post and left it hanging in the air long enough for the defenders to clear. He's far more effective in-swinging with his left foot but even then, we don't seem to attack the ball with any great purpose. 

Famous last words but we've got better at defending corners and crosses in general as the season has gone on and although we're finding other ways to score the goals, I'd really like to see us chip in with a few goals from corners. It's almost as we've focused so much on defending crosses that attacking them has been overlooked. Win the first header, cause a bit of panic (like teams caused us last season) and toe poke it home!

Would love to see us try something different because at the moment we're too easy to defend against at corners. 

If you’ve time this week can you start the following threads please?

Why don’t we ever win 6-0 away?

Why do we never win at Derby?

Why don’t our strikers get hat tricks?

Why can’t we get into the top two?

Many thanks

Every Owls Fan

• Haha 3

On 18/11/2022 at 10:21, Owls Loyal said:

I think this was a great OP.

I cannot believe that DM does not see that our corners are so predictable.

Mix it up with different corner takers, targets and positioning of our players in/around the box.

If nothing else it would confuse the opposition.

Bannan, in swinging, centre half heads, goal 😂