Observations of last night

5 minutes ago, ruscol85 said:

Now that the dust has settled somewhat…

- The lineup; I actually liked it, and was looking forward to seeing how they would get on for the hour or so you usually get before subs are made. Can understand Bannan and Windass being benched, given Windass’ fragility lately and Bannan’s somewhat slow start to the season. 

- Before the red card; I thought we did very well, limited Posh to mostly counters and long balls, dominated spells and should have had a goal at least. That James/ Johnson combo down the left looked to add balance, midfield looked solid and Paterson/ Gregory linked and looked a handful

- The red card; wether it was or it wasn’t it was certainly the turning point. I thought yellow at best, ref disagreed. James gave him the option by going so high

- That first sub; As soon as James was sent off my initial reaction to how the back 5 should look was: Paterson, Ihekwe, Heneghan, Palmer, Johnson. Make no changes, see it through till HT and re- group. Regardless, a change was made, but for me the wrong one. I’d have still taken Byers off and kept the height of Vaulks and Bakinson on, but I’d have brought Windass on. Put him in with Vaulks and Bakinson, keep the back 5 listed above and hoped for something on the break or a hit of magic from Windass. 

- Crosses from the right; Moving Ihekwe to LCB is a non- starter for me. Johnson is by far and away the easiest WB we have to play against if you want to get crosses into the box. If that happens, and often did last night, Ihekwe is out of the equation to head the ball away if the cross beats him. Last night that left Heneghan basically alone as Iorfa couldn’t head a ball if his life depended on it. Keep Ihekwe at RCB. Barely any crosses come down our RHS as both Hunt and Palmer defend the cross much better that Johnson. Moore really needs to suss this out and fast. 

- Overall; we were on a hiding to nothing as soon as the red card happened. Go down to 10 men, at home, against Burton, and you’ve a chance. Do it away v Peterborough and you’re in for a tough ride. I actually thought we started the 2nd half brightly and were unlucky not to go in front, bit it was always going to be an uphill battle. I’m not too upset about last night to be honest, as the red card kills it for us. But please DM accept that LHS is an issue and sort it, quickly. It’s the only way we’ve actually conceded a goal all season, it’s staring us in the face. 

Bit of a ramble there 😂

Be interesting to see the defensive lineup Saturday. 

Agree with all of this.

The Johnson / Iorfa combination cannot be allowed to happen again, ever.

Edited by Pieman
  • Like 3

Look, we are going to lose games and they are a team who just came down from the Champ...but we don't half know how to lose in style.

That was an absolute disaster class last night - sending off, Byers sub, two more free headers from right sided crosses.

• Like 2

Wasn’t there and only just watched the highlights, but the game obviously turned on the red card. I’m surprised how many posts agree with the red tbh because I really didn’t see anything too dangerous in it. Yes his foot was up, but it wasn’t reckless and he seemed to make minimal contact at best with the Peterborough lad. I reckon if the ref had shown a yellow no one would have given it a second thought. 

• Like 5

I agree with most of this. No issues with the starting lineup, we had more than enough to beat them. We started the game well, and until the red card, I could see us getting all 3 points. It’s not often a team will go away, lose a man after 30 mins and not get beat!

The over reaction on here is ridiculous. It’s one defeat largely down to a dodgy red card !
Bolton is a tough game to follow now, but I expect a good result there, with the likes of Adeniran, Bannan and Windass back in the team at the expense of Bakinson, Vaulks and Paterson.

UTO

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ruscol85 said:

- Overall; we were on a hiding to nothing as soon as the red card happened. Go down to 10 men, at home, against Burton, and you’ve a chance. Do it away v Peterborough and you’re in for a tough ride. I actually thought we started the 2nd half brightly and were unlucky not to go in front, bit it was always going to be an uphill battle. I’m not too upset about last night to be honest, as the red card kills it for us. But please DM accept that LHS is an issue and sort it, quickly. It’s the only way we’ve actually conceded a goal all season, it’s staring us in the face. 

Bit of a ramble there 😂

Actually, that's by some distance the most sensible post I've read on yesterdays game. It puts the result into perspective and the criticism was constructive rather than the all too predictable 'Moore Out' rants.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

- The lineup; I actually liked it, and was looking forward to seeing how they would get on for the hour or so you usually get before subs are made. Can understand Bannan and Windass being benched, given Windass’ fragility lately and Bannan’s somewhat slow start to the season. 

- Before the red card; I thought we did very well, limited Posh to mostly counters and long balls, dominated spells and should have had a goal at least. That James/ Johnson combo down the left looked to add balance, midfield looked solid and Paterson/ Gregory linked and looked a handful

- The red card; wether it was or it wasn’t it was certainly the turning point. I thought yellow at best, ref disagreed. James gave him the option by going so high

- That first sub; As soon as James was sent off my initial reaction to how the back 5 should look was: Paterson, Ihekwe, Heneghan, Palmer, Johnson. Make no changes, see it through till HT and re- group. Regardless, a change was made, but for me the wrong one. I’d have still taken Byers off and kept the height of Vaulks and Bakinson on, but I’d have brought Windass on. Put him in with Vaulks and Bakinson, keep the back 5 listed above and hoped for something on the break or a hit of magic from Windass. 

- Crosses from the right; Moving Ihekwe to LCB is a non- starter for me. Johnson is by far and away the easiest WB we have to play against if you want to get crosses into the box. If that happens, and often did last night, Ihekwe is out of the equation to head the ball away if the cross beats him. Last night that left Heneghan basically alone as Iorfa couldn’t head a ball if his life depended on it. Keep Ihekwe at RCB. Barely any crosses come down our RHS as both Hunt and Palmer defend the cross much better that Johnson. Moore really needs to suss this out and fast. 

Bit of a ramble there 😂

Excellent post, not sure how your sensible reasoning will go down. 

• Thanks 1

Iorfa should never play for us again. Palmer, Heneghan, Iheikwe, Vaulks, Bakinson, Paterson, James. I'd rather see all this lot play in the back 3 before him. The size of him should make him a monster to play against, he's far from that. He's scary, but not in a monstrous way. Like you said, Heneghan is defending for 2 when Iorfa is at the side of him, i'd rather go to a back 4 than play a 3 with Iorful

• Like 1

Agree even down to 10 men we played some good football, dont know how Vaulks shot stayed out, but the defence once again was a nightmare, both of their goals should have been cleared or at least challenged properly. 

Arguably thats 3 points dropped already because we cant defend crosses. 

Bit of a ramble there 😂

Common sense on OT, well I never! How refreshing.

One thing though, I think our line-up on Saturday will be more attacking and go at Bolton.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Look, we are going to lose games and they are a team who just came down from the Champ...but we don't half know how to lose in style.

That was an absolute disaster class last night - sending off, Byers sub, two more free headers from right sided crosses.

I think reaction to a setback will be more telling. Put in a strong performance and turnaround Saturday, people will forget all about last night.

4 or 6 points from Bolton and FGR and it will be a strong start to season.

3 hours ago, ruscol85 said:

Bit of a ramble there 😂

Good synopsis - agree with most, although I expect those in charge of the decision making (whether the decisions made were right or wrong) are basing them on more than just hoping 'for something on the break or a bit of magic from Windass' ...after all, I'm sure we all agree it's the hope that kills you 😀

5 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Actually, that's by some distance the most sensible post I've read on yesterdays game. It puts the result into perspective and the criticism was constructive rather than the all too predictable 'Moore Out' rants.

Just trying to be constructive. It’s a complex game isn’t it? Often we’re quick to be a bit black and white but there’s more to it