A tweet that’s divided opinion…

Guest mrbluesky

Taken out in context, I think Souness is referring to his time and the passion involved, compared to todays diving and soft players. 

He’s not specifically saying it’s a “man’s” game. i.e no place for women 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, vulva said:

Give me the likes of Souness any day over the sterile media trained bores that populate Sky Sports daily, just to pacify the wetknobs in society that can’t get out of bed without bellyaching about something. 

Think there's extremes on both sides; I also think there's too much of Micah Richards at the moment,  who is there as a new style 'personality ' rather than an ex pro with an insightful take on the game.

I know the last bit was a dig at me, but I in general I won't stop being angry about the state of this country

I'm  not sure how the constantly angry and bellyaching Souness is the opposite of 'wetknobs' like me to be honest. 

Just now, Bannofan said:

Think there's extremes on both sides; I also think there's too much of Micah Richards at the moment,  who is there as a new style 'personality ' rather than an ex pro with an insightful take on the game.

I know the last bit was a dig at me, but I in general I won't stop being angry about the state of this country

I'm  not sure how the constantly angry and bellyaching Souness is the opposite of 'wetknobs' like me to be honest. 

Wasn’t a dig at all. 

I really enjoyed the Euro’s but the whole thing since has been hijacked by the latest crusade for those who like to be offended. Souness talks sense and is a really good straight talking pundit. 

Micah Richards talks nonsense in my opinion. I just don’t get the hype and they are really trying hard to make a double act with Keane who in reality is on a different level. 

• Like 2

My worry with the "man's game" stuff is that it elevates [association] football as a contact sport.

When football rules were codified in the nineteenth century, the two big differences between the codes were that rugby football version allowed control of the ball with hands; and that rugby was full contact. (You read your Wodehouse, incidentally: for him football is rugby union; the round ball game is soccer).

I like rugby, although less so these days; know more about it than "soccer"; played at a pretty strong level. Rugby is a contact sport. Football needs contact as a limiting factor, but the whole point of the game is guile and artistry.

This sort of topic always brings out the worst in the kind of pigthick northerners who voted for Brexit.

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

My worry with the "man's game" stuff is that it elevates [association] football as a contact sport.

When football rules were codified in the nineteenth century, the two big differences between the codes were that rugby football version allowed control of the ball with hands; and that rugby was full contact. (You read your Wodehouse, incidentally: for him football is rugby union; the round ball game is soccer).

I like rugby, although less so these days; know more about it than "soccer"; played at a pretty strong level. Rugby is a contact sport. Football needs contact as a limiting factor, but the whole point of the game is guile and artistry.

This sort of topic always brings out the worst in the kind of pigthick northerners who voted for Brexit.

It’s a contact sport. 

Plenty of other great sports available that are non contact. Darts, croquet, tennis etc. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just Beth England trying to become relevant here. Don't like Souness, he's so outdated and his knowledge isn't great for someone in his role, BUT there is nothing malicious about this comment. What gender were playing the game he was analysing? Men. So who is his comment going to be about? You got it, Men. He's not going to mention women's football when watching Chelsea vs Spurs in the male league. She obviously wants to get her name out there and one of those to jump on any comment possible to attempt to elevate the female game. The summer did that anyway, so she doesn't really need to jump across throw away comments like that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, M Royds said:

Not being mardy buddy, just confused on what I should be commenting on? 

Is another one of those ridiculous ‘middle class breakfast’ posts?

lol

Did I touch a nerve with that? lol

10 hours ago, Rogers said:

Taken out in context, I think Souness is referring to his time and the passion involved, compared to todays diving and soft players. 

He’s not specifically saying it’s a “man’s” game. i.e no place for women 

That is what he meant. 

Most people over reacting surely didn't hear it in real time and have taken it completely out of context. In fact it's a great example of this poo that happens all the time. Things getting taken out of context, it's tiresome. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest mrbluesky
2 hours ago, M Royds said:

I don’t think so. Just confused by your musings. You’ll have to explain what you’re asking me to answer?

Come on mardy bumb, stop playing dumb lol

Guest mrbluesky
4 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

Anybody??🤨