A tweet that’s divided opinion…

Guest mrbluesky

The moment I heard him say it I knew there would be a furore.

It really doesn't bother me and I don't think he's meant to cause offence. At the end of the day, he's a bloke in his 60s throwing old a lazy cliche.

I'm a pretty liberally lefty type, but this seems like a storm in a teacup.

Perhaps not the greatest bit of punditry, but people need to take a step back.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

You honestly think he was treating fans with contempt by describing the physicality of the mens game in this way? Seriously??

Yeah, along with other things. 

If it's so obvious then why say it. You pay a fair whack for Sky Sports so I'd want pundits to spend time telling me things that I might not know. 'Football is a physical game'. Thanks for the expert knowledge Graeme. 

4 hours ago, katie melua said:

Completely taken out of context. Would she be doing the same thing if the pundits at the Brentford v Man Utd game said it was like watching Men against Boys?

Don't get me wrong, I can sort of understand this day and age why this was raised. But there was no malice behind it at all. 

2 hours ago, markg said:

Probably no malice. But what’s the point in saying a game featuring men is a men’s game. Waste of words and airtime. 

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Mens football is a man’s game.

Women's football is a woman’s game.

I really don’t see the issue here.

Maybe watch it

He talks about football being a man’s game because tackling is back 

He isn’t saying it’s like ‘men v boys’, he’s isn’t talking about men’s football he’s saying men play physical football not women. 

It’s a poor comment. 

• Haha 1

Just now, McRightSide said:

Maybe watch it

He isn’t saying it’s like ‘men v boys’, he’s isn’t talking about men’s football he’s saying men play physical football not women. 

It’s a poor comment. 

I watched it and I agree with you. 

but even if he didn’t mean it in that way, it’s lazy, boring punditry which is short changing viewers 

• Haha 1

If anything, it's more a slight on the modern men's game than it is on the women's game. 

i.e. he's implying that the current game is full of "softies", whilst back in his day they were all snapping each others legs etc. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

He isn’t saying it’s like ‘men v boys’, he’s isn’t talking about men’s football he’s saying men play physical football not women

He's not saying that at all. He absolutely didn't infer or refer to women or women's football. 

I dont particularly like Souness but he's getting some unfair grief on this. Totally out of proportion and people putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. 

A non story but I suppose he'll be forced to quit now due to P.C. pressure 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62548431

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

He's not saying that at all. He absolutely didn't infer or refer to women or women's football. 

I dont particularly like Souness but he's getting some unfair grief on this. Totally out of proportion and people putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. 

Should be made to quit for his crap lazy punditry 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, markg said:

What way? 

In the way that the rent a protest mob get hold of the issue/problem/agenda and blow things all out of proportion. 

The Womens Euros was brilliant. But let’s not forget the average attendance in the Womens Premier League was around 1500 last season. Equality isn’t the issue. Interest in it is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Maybe watch it

It’s a poor comment. 

He didn’t say anything about women.

Speaking to Talksport on Monday, 69-year-old Souness said he regretted "not a word" of what he said in Sunday's broadcast.

"Let me explain," he said. "I've been advocating for years that the referees have such a major part to play in the success of the Premier League.

"We've got to be careful what we say today and I've not been very good at that, but we were becoming like other leagues.

"The refs were blowing the whistle all the time, the game didn't flow and it just wasn't a very good watch. Our game has always been unique, always been more meaty, more in our face, more intense and we've got away from that.

"Yesterday in my comments I said we've got our game back. That's the kind of football I remember playing. Our league will be better for it - we are back."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

If anything, it's more a slight on the modern men's game than it is on the women's game. 

i.e. he's implying that the current game is full of "softies", whilst back in his day they were all snapping each others legs etc. 

So he’s implying that it’s a man’s game because it’s not full of softies.

What kind of football matches aren’t full of men?

54 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

It’s just a sloppy comment.

There is no need for him to talk about whether or not football is a ‘man’s game’

Saying it was a good, physical battle and he enjoyed it is more than adequate.

No need to refer to it being a ‘man’s game’

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

So he’s implying that it’s a man’s game because it’s not full of softies.

What kind of football matches aren’t full of men?

Why are you getting so angry? 

Not saying I agreed with it, just pointing out that his remark was more of a slight on the men's game. 

Chill the f*ck out. 

• Like 6