Old Sheffield Airport

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

It’s already been built onto

I work just round the corner from there.

There is enough room  across from the old terminal to accommodate a stadium. However, with the new shopping and restaurant/bar development being built (just off the parkway exit for Catcliffe), I'm not sure they would give planning permission.

The old runway was for sale a year ago, maybe longer, can’t remember.

Sure it was around the £700,000 mark.

It’s 160m wide and over 1km long, Hillsborough is 158m wide. Back of south to back of north.

New York stadium is 135m wide 

Doncaster 140m

Bramall Lane 155m

It would be incredibly tight to get a stadium on there, maybe if the wasteland and path at either side were included it would give you some extra space.

I walk down there nearly every day, nice bit of land but will probably end up being offices and warehouses 

• Like 1

It would be a backward move for us to relocate there imho. The public transport links are non existent and there’s no other places of interest (pubs, bars, food outlets, shops, parks) near it. 

If we were to vacate Hillsborough then I would prefer us to move to somewhere like Kelham Island/Neepsend or, at a push, in the town centre (around Castlegate maybe). I believe that that there wouldn’t be enough land around these areas but they’d be easier to get to than Tinsley/Catcliffe and would serve the city and the fans better. 

For the record, I’d prefer us to stay where we are. 

• Like 3

On 14/08/2022 at 08:09, jp1981 said:

I work just round the corner from there.

There is enough room  across from the old terminal to accommodate a stadium. However, with the new shopping and restaurant/bar development being built (just off the parkway exit for Catcliffe), I'm not sure they would give planning permission.

Cos they're United fans? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Lets move to Rotherham, buy Millmoor and redevelop that, just for the two reasons, we always won at Millmoor and it would pee the toy towns fans off big time. lol

If we did that they would think they were even more relevant 

it would be unbearable 

only way this would work is if we bought the new York stadium extended it by another 20,00 painted it blue and called it new Hillsborough and they went back to that dump they came from. 

I think that pretty much sums up there relevance in football never mind to us 

3 minutes ago, AlanLee said:

We don't need 2 teams in Rotherham.  Stay where you are and develop the 'old lady' (or rust bucket as it's more commonly known) 

In fairness, we weren’t talking about two

teams in Rotherham. Just us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Owl in Manc said:

its a VOLVO car dealership now

But why is it?

Looking at the article, it says we have acquired the land and sought planning permission, I'm guessing some funding was arranged externally through grants etc.

Now it's a car dealership.