Radio 5 Live to stop classified football scores.

10 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know you can check to results on your phone but something nice about getting in the car and hearing the Out of the Blue music with the headlines and then the reading out of the full classified results.

You do feel the  BBC in London not really fussed about Mansfield, Exeter and Gillingham.

You might have a valid point if 5 live wasn’t broadcast from Salford and is a department of BBC North.

• Like 1

Thankfully they have retained out of the blue, but I agree that it’s a shame to lose the classifieds just to squeeze in some bland interview with one of the PL managers. People can find that content on their phones just as easily as the scores, so why not retain some tradition? 

• Like 6

On a similar note, as I write, there's no mention of the Carabao Cup on the BBC's football home page. No link to any match reports, no mention of the draw, nothing. The headline article include Man Utd women signing someone, something about football and psychology, and an Italian side I've barely heard of signing a Nigerian I've never heard of.

1 hour ago, Sova said:

On a similar note, as I write, there's no mention of the Carabao Cup on the BBC's football home page. No link to any match reports, no mention of the draw, nothing. The headline article include Man Utd women signing someone, something about football and psychology, and an Italian side I've barely heard of signing a Nigerian I've never heard of.

image.thumb.png.9390c8756a8b444a3f4b63e5e6948e1e.png

I do agree though that it is poor of them to get rid of the classified results.  

Not everyone on the planet has a smart phone and what about people who are say visually impaired etc? 

Plus, it just reinforces the point that the only thing they care about is the top 6 and the rest of us can fizz off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You would think by now that article writers would know about football fans taking the pi$$ out of them for constantly saying 'Frank Lampard's Everton' and 'Steven Gerrards  Aston Villa', yet they go and use both in the write up about the second round draw. There can't be a football fan in the country that doesn't know who managers either club. Are they now at the point where they are parodying themselves?

Perhaps they are like some kid at secondary school trying to up the word count on their second rate essay.

Edited by BridportOwl

1 minute ago, Sova said:

OK, fair enough. And the draw's pretty prominent too. Is that the .co.uk site? I'm looking at the .com one.

That was the .co.uk.

I do agree though that, generally speaking, the Beebs coverage of anything outside the Top 6 has got increasingly worse. 

• Thanks 1

I think my beef with this is actually not what we are losing but what they are replacing it with.;

The time they get back will be just given to the PL and when I say the PL I mean the Big 6.

I didn't go to our game last night but was looking at the BBC website, during the game there was no "Live Carabao Cup" thread but there was one for the Real Madrid/Eintracht Frankfurt glorified friendly. :rolleyes:

After the game they didn't put a new story up about the draw until at least 20 mins after it had happened, and when they did it mentioned who 3 or 4 PL teams had drawn. It wasn't updated with the details of the draw until 22:50 which was around 40 mins later.

Now if the Big 6 were part of the draw you can guarantee it would have been updated a lot quicker.

I don't have an issue with them not giving a throw about anything below the PL, but don't make a token gesture to make it look like you care, I'd rather you didn't bother.

• Like 2

I've always felt they somewhat half arse their EFL coverage. 

Even when they had the rights, it felt half arsed to me. 

The highlight show was on at 12am? 

Tbf, I don't really rate Sky's coverage all that much. It's not terrible, but still feels quite half arsed in comparison to the PL. 

I will say though that the EFL coverage has the better commentators. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2