Radio 5 Live to stop classified football scores.

Getting in the car at 5.00, starting the engine as the Sports Report music kicked in after the reporter had given the headlines. Its part and parcel of Saturdays. 

Will be very sad to see it go but I suppose most people have phones now where they can see the results.

• Like 6

As others have said we all have phones and people tend to be fairly up to date with scores, but for me it will be the affect it has on the little guy.

The article mentions they'll be still keeping on top of the goals/scores as they go in, but in reality as goals get missed they'll just spend the time they've gained back talking about the Super League 6, because you can never do enough of that can you :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

It's probably not needed anymore but still feels like a shame to see it go.

Saying that it does feel like another small erasure of things outside the top flight. Instead of finding out what's happening in League One and Two, here's more airtime for a fourth Jurgen Klopp interview.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Putney said:

It's probably not needed anymore but still feels like a shame to see it go.

Saying that it does feel like another small erasure of things outside the top flight. Instead of finding out what's happening in League One and Two, here's more airtime for a fourth Jurgen Klopp interview.

Think this just about sums it up really. 

The coverage from the main broadcasters is pretty much entirely dedicated to the top 6 now. 

That's where the game is going and it will only become more like that in the coming years. 

• Like 2

I watched pretty much the entirety of BT's coverage for the Saturday game against Fulham v Liverpool. 

Bar them chatting to a few Fulham fans about how they weren't happy over the ticket prices and lack of signings, there was barely another mention of them prior to kick off. 

I understand that Liverpool are the reason the vast majority of people are tuning in, but do we really need endless coverage about them? Those people are tuning in regardless of what content you have for the build up. 

Why not profile some of Fulham's new signings or explain how well they did in the Championship (again)? 

Perhaps go to the effort of making the opposition (facing the big side) feel somewhat relevant and not an after thought? 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jul/23/final-whistle-for-the-pink-un-british-footballs-last-surviving-matchday-newspaper-closes

Only two weeks after the demise of the last local paper’s football paper. Sad times, but I check scores and get my football news online, so I suppose I have to accept it.

I know you can check to results on your phone but something nice about getting in the car and hearing the Out of the Blue music with the headlines and then the reading out of the full classified results.

You do feel the  BBC in London not really fussed about Mansfield, Exeter and Gillingham.

• Like 2

To be honest, most of the games are finishing quite late now given the amount of injury time being played, plus VAR checks etc.

With James Alexander Gordon reading the results, you knew if your team had either won, lost or drawn depending on how his voice was with the home team. Didn't even need to know the score, a low voice for the home team and your side was away - 3 points!!! 

• Like 1