Best of both worlds?

Great video. As a general comment, you're getting better every week mate, has been wonderful to see the quality of video improve over the months, and also the confidence in which you state your opinions

Disagree ever so slightly with the positioning of your 4-3-3 suggestion though. Instead of having Bannan as advanced central midfielder, I'd go for one with Byers deeper, Fizz on the right and Bannan on the left.

Byers

Fizz               Bannan

Johnson

Windass         

Smith

We know that Windass in the "wide right" position will want to drift indie and support the striker, and we know that FDB can offer powerful driving runs forward. I'd love to see him occupying that space with Hunt on the overlap/underlap. Bannan can push forward to underlap Johnson and occupy that half-space on the left side of the pitch where he delivers all those consistent crosses. Johnson and Bannan on the left would leave no room for errors for any opposition defences. And of course, Bannan would still have license to drift inside and have Johnson on the overlap.

I've enjoyed 3-5-2 a lot, it has obvious pros, but this 4-3-3 is something I hope we get to see this season.

• Like 1

Great video, which echoes a lot of my own thinking on the matter.

Some on here have got really defensive (excuse the pun) whenever the idea of a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 has been floated, as if the fact that we did well last season using 3-5-2 means we have to play that way forevermore.

I doubt Moore is about to ditch that system, but I'm sure he'll only give it so long if our defensive issues persist, similar to how he revised our plans to get the attack firing partway through last season. 

He's spoken about having greater tactical flexibility, so hopefully we might start to see a switch to a different setup during games as and when required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He's spoken about having greater tactical flexibility, so hopefully we might start to see a switch to a different setup during games as and when required.

I think that's the crux of the matter...he wants to be able to switch in games to see out winning positions but... we have to be doing the basics right before that can happen so the quicker our new defenders get up to speed the sooner we can look at this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Great video. As a general comment, you're getting better every week mate, has been wonderful to see the quality of video improve over the months, and also the confidence in which you state your opinions

Disagree ever so slightly with the positioning of your 4-3-3 suggestion though. Instead of having Bannan as advanced central midfielder, I'd go for one with Byers deeper, Fizz on the right and Bannan on the left.

Byers

Fizz               Bannan

Johnson

Windass         

Smith

Mate, I completely agree. I've got to be honest, I just cut and pasted the midfield 3 from Saturdays¬† line up to save time! ūü§£¬†

Definitely would like to see Dele-Bashiru playing the position Byers was in last season (but in a 4-3-3)

Screenshot_20220805-110230_YouTube.jpg.01c4c512ffacb89d9f36fb9447ab7b32.jpg

As it is, I've got a feeling we'll be sticking with the 3-5-2 so mebbe even thinking about this stuff is a waste of our time! But thats football isn't it I suppose.  Chatting and supposition!

Anyway, this seems as good a time as any to plug me previous video!! 

https://youtu.be/Wmp4VyXDN9Y

• Love 1

@Sheff Cam what the chuff are you doing up at that time in the mornng? Half 3! Get thee sen to bed lad. That said, cracking video, as per. You and @punkyhorrors do some quality work which we are all grateful for.

I've been thinking about our formation for some time, but especially since the arrival of the new players. I'm not adverse to 3-5-2, but on too many occasions both last season, and in the pre-season friendlies/first game, we got exposed behind the WB. If one CB comes across to cover, all it takes is two opposition forwards and an advanced midfielder to get in to our box and we could be facing a 3 on 2. We aren't the quickest team over the ground, so we constantly need to be switched on to get men back to cover. It won't always happen.

Playing the 4-3-3 you suggested, with Johnson further up, could potentially work. He could always fall back in to make a back five, or at least cover when we don't have the ball. Bannan and Windass are both willing runners, and two of the quickest players we have. Bannan does love a tackle too, and could hound the player in possession with Byers/Vaulks holding the space. Fizz could be floating waiting to pick up, likewise Windass. That could make for a quick transition.

It's certainly a formation worth trying. Maybe one to start with in the Pizza cup. Maybe one we swap from, or to, depending how a league game is progressing. If it keeps us tighter at the back but still allows us to utilise the attacking force we have, then maybe it will be something we see more often.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

@Sheff Cam what the chuff are you doing up at that time in the mornng? Half 3! Get thee sen to bed lad. That said, cracking video, as per. You and @punkyhorrors do some quality work which we are all grateful for.

I've been thinking about our formation for some time, but especially since the arrival of the new players. I'm not adverse to 3-5-2, but on too many occasions both last season, and in the pre-season friendlies/first game, we got exposed behind the WB. If one CB comes across to cover, all it takes is two opposition forwards and an advanced midfielder to get in to our box and we could be facing a 3 on 2. We aren't the quickest team over the ground, so we constantly need to be switched on to get men back to cover. It won't always happen.

Playing the 4-3-3 you suggested, with Johnson further up, could potentially work. He could always fall back in to make a back five, or at least cover when we don't have the ball. Bannan and Windass are both willing runners, and two of the quickest players we have. Bannan does love a tackle too, and could hound the player in possession with Byers/Vaulks holding the space. Fizz could be floating waiting to pick up, likewise Windass. That could make for a quick transition.

It's certainly a formation worth trying. Maybe one to start with in the Pizza cup. Maybe one we swap from, or to, depending how a league game is progressing. If it keeps us tighter at the back but still allows us to utilise the attacking force we have, then maybe it will be something we see more often.

Well it's out the winder now Smithy is out!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sheff Cam said:

Well it's out the winder now Smithy is out!

Aye. That's not the news we needed with Gregory already out through suspension.

What are your thoughts on the 5-5-0 formation lol