Premier League introduces mandatory sexual consent training for all players

The Premier League has introduced mandatory sexual consent training for players and staff.

It comes after recent high-profile police action in England involving top-flight footballers.

Training sessions will address healthy, respectful relationships and include understanding harassment and consent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62418468

• Like 1

These kinds of trainings are a standard part of life in the Military. I think it's well intended but it ends up being either low-effort or desperate and misinformed. The intent often comes off as sheilding the organisation from liability rather than educating those who could do harm and protecting those who could suffer from it. Hopefully they do extensive research and invest appropriately to make it genuinely effective training. 

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, BOOFABI said:

These kinds of trainings are a standard part of life in the Military. I think it's well intended but it ends up being either low-effort or desperate and misinformed. The intent often comes off as sheilding the organisation from liability rather than educating those who could do harm and protecting those who could suffer from it. Hopefully they do extensive research and invest appropriately to make it genuinely effective training. 

Totally agree.

Death by PowerPoint and an unenthusiastic instructor is all to standard these days in order to tick a box of apparent compliance.

It needs to be delivered correctly and in a way that resonates to the delegates.

I work in Construction H&S so understand the difficulty of trying to pitch training to a wide range of people from various disciplines and I spend a long time working with L&D coming up with training and accessing content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A very good idea.

Most of these lads have led an 'Alpha' entitled existence coming through acadamies, and need to realise that the huge amount of female attention they get requires them to be very aware of this issue.

As well as footballers treating women badly, there will be young lasses looking to make a name for themselves , players may be set up etc so it will be in their own interests to be totally confident on consent, respect and safe behaviour.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bannofan said:

A very good idea.

Most of these lads have led an 'Alpha' entitled existence coming through acadamies, and need to realise that the huge amount of female attention they get requires them to be very aware of this issue.

As well as footballers treating women badly, there will be young lasses looking to make a name for themselves , players may be set up etc so it will be in their own interests to be totally confident on consent, respect and safe behaviour.  

Good post. I think famous rich young men are often the hunted rather than the hunters.

• Like 2

On 05/08/2022 at 10:08, Bannofan said:

A very good idea.

Good point, but I doubt that is how these lessons will be written.