Sarina Wiegman

Can we decide on the definition of a woman first please?

I think a quick Crocodile Dundee introduction should do it, but there might be some Keir Starmer type of confusion, you never know.

I'd accept Jurgen Klopp with full beard in a dress btw.

• Haha 2

On 31/07/2022 at 23:09, Manwë said:

Why not?

It's 2022, not 1202.

Agreed, we're talking about the key to the dressing room here, not the key to the chastity belt!

On 01/08/2022 at 01:11, Lord Snooty said:

If someone is good at their job, they're good at their job regardless of height, weight, sex , colour. 

However, it would be naive to think that it would plain sailing. 

One of the few work places where the workforce under the manager would be entirely made  up of the opposite sex.

(*Obviously not including other non playing staff)

^^^^

This

If you're good enough, you're good enough and should be given the chance.

Far too many of the responses on here smack of male chauvinism i.e. when the time is right, not now, eventually etc., etc..

On 01/08/2022 at 17:08, Devonstrix said:

Oh apols, I thought it was Wimbledon. It really is not just a smooth transition from one code to another. I mean, who was that lad who got the Leeds job from non league and lasted about six weeks from memory. 

I’d say for any woman, regardless of credentials and including the current England women's coach to aspire to a decent job in the men's game, they will need to start in non league football to make a name for themselves or at the most, L2. It’s not about whether or not they’re ready to see mens gonads in the dressing room ffs, it’s about whether they have the experience, knowledge of the game, man management and leadership skills and ultimately, whether they can gain the respect of the players, on the coaching ground  There have been plenty of men who have struggled in that regard. 

What percentage of managers in the top four divisions have played at the elite level? By which I mean, have at least played in one or more of those four divisions. It must be 95%+. Yes, there have been people like Mourinho, but let’s not forget he learned his trade under the likes of Bobby Robson and Van Gaal

You’ve only got to look at the dearth of female coaches in elite mens tennis. As rare as rocking  horse poo. Ditto most other elite mens sports. So coaching just one man is very difficult, imagine having to take responsibility for 30-40 plus. 

Anyway, nothing stopping the likes of Hayes applying for jobs is there. What’s the song, come and have a go if you think you’re hard enough. It will take one tough cookie to break through into the mens game, that’s for sure. 

So unless you have played in the mens (which obviously a women cant) then you cant manage a mens team.

Winning the womens Euros as a manager, to me, gives much better credentials than a player who has played in League 2. 

Where and what division you have played in isnt necessarily the best barometer of a manager - Think Ron Atkinson, Howard Wilkinson.

Seems hard to believe but at the time that England last won anything of note, the 1966 World Cup, women's football was actually banned in England!

No doubt then that the stuffed blazers and the handlebar mustaches at the FA were worried that the "pretty little things might get tired and not be able to cook dinner when they got home".

Women in football have come a long way in a relatively short time. What was once a novelty, is now the normal course. We now have female referees at the top level, female physios and female coaches.

So there is absolutely no reason why a female head coach in the EFL or even the PL shouldn't be imminent.

We will look back at 2022 from some point in the future, when the women's game finally arrived in some style, and think "So what?" just as these days nobody can imagine a world where women are not allowed to vote.

16 hours ago, Rotherham Owl said:

So unless you have played in the mens (which obviously a women cant) then you cant manage a mens team.

Winning the womens Euros as a manager, to me, gives much better credentials than a player who has played in League 2. 

Where and what division you have played in isnt necessarily the best barometer of a manager - Think Ron Atkinson, Howard Wilkinson.

Ron Atkinson and Howard Wilkinson both had to start at the bottom in men’s football management though and work their way up through the mens game… Ron’s first job in management was at Kettering, Wilkinson’s first job in management was at Boston.

Personally I think it’d be very difficult for a woman to be parachuted across from womens football straight into an EFL or premier league job. 

Would a woman coming into the mens game need to start in a job such as Boston or Kettering (like Ron and Wilko did) or would you advocate giving her a top job straight away with no experience in the mens game?

I’ll be honest, 10 years ago I’d have no chance but now I think it’ll probably happen because it’ll raise the clubs profile who appoint the first female manager so we’ll see where it happens and how they get on 

She is clearly a good manager. You can see that from the results she has had - 2 x Euros, plus plenty of domestic league and cup titles.

When we are looking to appoint our next manager we should try going for a good manager. Part of the problem in the past is we have appointed lots of bad managers like Monk and Pulis that never win anything and leave clubs worse than when they started.

So why not go for it?

Seems more likely that a good manager in the female game has transferable skills in the mens game than a bad manager in the mens game will suddenly become a good manager just by walking through the door at Hillsborough.

Guest DoesJackHunt

100% if she would come to us, which she won’t because she’s won back 2 back Euro’s.

Blokes saying how will she gain players respect are obviously stupid sexists !

and assume football players from this generation are as well. Which they aren’t be because it’s not the 1950’s 

On 01/08/2022 at 18:27, GermanBird said:

I just don't believe that the players  (young, rich, alpha-males, adolescing) will accept a female as leader.

Lots of us have already accepted not being the leader in our own homes.....give us some credit @GermanBird 😂 

The BBC (who else) were moaning that 'there aren't enough black players in the womens team' ,   on Planet Earth rather than Planet Woke of course it doesn't matter if there are 0 or 11 black players on that or any team

Who's the best 11?.....right.....pick them.  No other factor is relevant 

Same goes the managers .....if they are the best manager give them the job... and work their way up from non leagues , its an absolute unknown quantity whether they'd be a success in The National League let alone higher..

For anyone saying 'they've won The World Cup she must be better than every male manager '  (lots of women saying this on social media who claim that zero fouls are committed by women,  there's never time wasting or feigning injury  'because women are 'harder ' than men)  🙄 .......the USA women won the World Cup but lost to Dallas FC Under 16 boys...

Guest DoesJackHunt
52 minutes ago, cartman said:

The BBC (who else) were moaning that 'there aren't enough black players in the womens team' ,   on Planet Earth rather than Planet Woke of course it doesn't matter if there are 0 or 11 black players on that or any team

Who's the best 11?.....right.....pick them.  No other factor is relevant 

Same goes the managers .....if they are the best manager give them the job... and work their way up from non leagues , its an absolute unknown quantity whether they'd be a success in The National League let alone higher..

For anyone saying 'they've won The World Cup she must be better than every male manager '  (lots of women saying this on social media who claim that zero fouls are committed by women,  there's never time wasting or feigning injury  'because women are 'harder ' than men)  🙄 .......the USA women won the World Cup but lost to Dallas FC Under 16 boys...

It was the Euro’s Cartman.

On 31/07/2022 at 23:25, savi said:

Firstly, Well done England Liionesses.

Secondly. This is not a DM replacemeent Fred, just a recognition of the Lionesses success tonight.

But..... 

Would you be happy to accept a clearly competent Female  Football Manager in charge here  at S6 if it  was to ever happen.

She clearly knows her football, I for 1 would happily embrace this.

Could it happen, Should it ever  happen, Could it work?

Nope! it's a different game.