Sarina Wiegman

53 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

because it simply wouldn’t work!! imagine a female coach knocking on the dressing room door to do a team talk…”is everyone decent”. The authority would be lost almost immediately. 

Wether it’s 2022 or 1902…it wouldn’t work!! I wish people would stop peddling certain PC shiiite and accept life and nature for what it is. 

let the women’s game carry itself, it ain’t done to bad so far!!! 

Maybe footballers could learn to keep their bits covered up like the rest of society has to. It’s not that difficult.  Pants and towels are always helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Agreed, I actually thought yesterday that I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wiegman offered a job at an English football league side. As you say, Wimbledon nearly did already and I can see some forward thinking clubs thinking why not? If they are good coaches it could work.  It would also increase publicity for that club too, imagine if someone like Swindon town hired Wiegman I expect their crowds and media attention to increase,  with even more women and girls wanting to go to matches and support the team 

Can't see Wiegman at Swindon to be fair. International is a different kettle of fish. I could see her managing a small European men's national team though.

If it happens in England, the best chance would be one of the current or recent England ladies with a new coaching badge moving up the ranks at a men's team. 

I don't think it will be a direct appointment though, as the jobs are still quite a bit different in scale and while the best of the women's current crop are great, there's a significant drop after that.

5 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Maybe footballers could learn to keep their bits covered up like the rest of society has to. It’s not that difficult.  Pants and towels are always helpful. 

For me that's not the issue with females in a male dressing room.

I just don't believe that the players  (young, rich, alpha-males, adolescing) will accept a female as leader.

I also don't believe that the fanbase would accept it.

Let's talk again in 30 years 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GermanBird said:

For me that's not the issue with females in a male dressing room.

I just don't believe that the players  (young, rich, alpha-males, adolescing) will accept a female as leader.

I also don't believe that the fanbase would accept it.

Let's talk again in 30 years 

It's doable, but it will take a while.

Like any professional, if a female coach is getting them wins and improving them, they'll accept it quickly. Using the u23-assistant-first team route, they can build the credibility and the cream will rise to the top.

The one thing that will kill it dead though is a token appointment.

If the first woman coach is put there because she's a woman, and not because of her ability, it will be another 30 years.

I think she is brilliant. Great tactically and with the culture side of it. Very clear thinker, great communicator. 

The problem would be that the current generation players wouldnt accept. its unlikely that the bond that a female manager and male players need would to have could happen yet.

Maybe in time.

Edited by Nero
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

It's doable, but it will take a while.

Like any professional, if a female coach is getting them wins and improving them, they'll accept it quickly. Using the u23-assistant-first team route, they can build the credibility and the cream will rise to the top.

The one thing that will kill it dead though is a token appointment.

If the first woman coach is put there because she's a woman, and not because of her ability, it will be another 30 years.

I do agree with you. It's doable.

Also you suggestion using the U23 route sounds good.

IMO it won't work to take a manager from a female team and put her to a male team. 

As you mentioned before, it has to be the right person. Being able to handle a group of females requires a different personality and skillset than handling a group of males. 

2 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

I do agree with you. It's doable.

Also you suggestion using the U23 route sounds good.

IMO it won't work to take a manager from a female team and put her to a male team. 

As you mentioned before, it has to be the right person. Being able to handle a group of females requires a different personality and skillset than handling a group of males. 

Switching directly from WSL to the men's game is non starter.

The scale, the talent pool, the speed, the pressure.

Everything is a magnitude bigger.

Don't think that the male-female thing will matter, ability will win out.

A team like MKD, with a young fanbase, like to play football, who move players up ghrough the ranks would be perfect though.

A year or two at u23 or even u18 for a bit, then assistant, then take over. But it has to be a long term thing with the right person. Like Southgate and England, but with managerial ability.

Unfortunately, twitter, PR and politics will get involved, someone unsuitable will be parachuted in somewhere and fail miserably.

• Like 2

I think that a female manager would be accepted by male players. I think we are doing them a disservice to say otherwise. The fans would be a different matter.

I think players that had doubts would change their mind if their first training session was a quality session. I don’t think that players are the alpha males that they were yeses ago, I’m fact quite the opposite 

8 hours ago, savi said:

Would you be happy to accept a clearly competent Female  Football Manager in charge here  at S6 if it  was to ever happen.

She clearly knows her football, I for 1 would happily embrace this.

Yes. Being good at the job is more important than gender. I think there's still a long way to go before female coaches become generally accepted in the mens game though, and I suspect in the shorter term any such appointment would be tokenism. Done for the novelty or the PR value. Yesterdays victory was an important step forward, though.

Regarding Sarina Wiegman, I think we have to accept that the attributes required in a manager are different when comparing national and league sides. Managing a club like ours comes with constraints and problems that wouldn't exist within the England set up. Personally speaking I think Gareth Southgate would struggle at this level.

• Like 2

She's clearly a great manager, as are many female managers otherwise a male manager would have won the euros

The issues would be about whether male players respect a female manager and how the fan base would react to losses and the decisions she makes

They shouldn't be issues but I think we all know how some fans would react. I'd hope the players would be ok but I've never been on our training field or in our dressing room so would only be guessing

1 minute ago, markg said:

I don’t think that players are the alpha males that they were yeses ago, I’m fact quite the opposite 

I was thinking exactly the same yesterday. There will always be some knuckle draggers, but I think modern footballers are generally far more professional in their behaviour than they were say twenty years ago, and a lot of them come from a generation that were bought up to respect women.

In theory, if they are the best person for the job, why not - but in reality can you imagine if Wednesday had a female manager and we lost…the meltdown on here would be off the scale 🙂

It will happen sooner rather than later somewhere, I think.

If someone is good at their job, they're good at their job regardless of height, weight, sex , colour. 

However, it would be naive to think that it would plain sailing. 

One of the few work places where the workforce under the manager would be entirely made  up of the opposite sex.

(*Obviously not including other non playing staff)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Absolutely it wouldn’t!!

how would a female coach be able to walk into a make dressing room at various stages on match day for a start?? And vice versa for that matter!! 

I am over the moon for the England ladies and it’s great to see how far the game as developed but let just enjoy it for what it is…womens football and mens football.

it is and should be recognised in its own right, not on the back mens football!! 

Spot on..