Defence looks weaker than last season

35 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

It’s only first game, but that back 3 is not a patch on storey, Dean and hutch. 

I wonder whether switching to a back 4 with those clunky defenders would be a better option? 

I thought we'd have dropped to a back four and matched them up, lorfa was having a mare in a three he's definitely not the player he was after his injury 

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I don't get the back three tbh.

So, you want to play out from the back but then have three blokes who appear to be uncomfortable on the ball? 

Even better, the three CBs - who are all 6ft plus - concede three headers!

The defending in that second half was embarrassing, proper Sunday league stuff.

is a very good point . I think Ihikiwe looks OK on the ball personally and in a 3 will be sound . Iorfa and henegan in a 3 is something I’m not so convinced on

3 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

is a very good point . I think Ihikiwe looks OK on the ball personally and in a 3 will be sound . Iorfa and henegan in a 3 is something I’m not so convinced on

It does make you wonder about not keeping Hutchinson on.

Someone who could play in all 3CB positions and could play too.

Ok, perhaps it was time to part ways, but then you need to bring in someone who can do a similar job.

Instead, we've opted to sign lumps. If that's the way you want to do, then fair enough. But the style has to change too. 

May also help if the three lumps could defend crosses properly.

Edited by SiJ

1 minute ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Could have a back 4 of 

Hunt 

Henegan

Ihikiwe 

James 

Vaulks

Windass 

Bannnan 

Johnson

Smith / Gregory 

bring another few in 

I’d go 4-3-3. But that will mean one of smith or Gregory missing out and it’s likely smith would get the starting berth as he’s better at playing the line central striker. We would need to bring in a couple of wide attackers but I think Moore was looking to do that anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Normally I'd agree, but as soon as he put's his hands on him, I'v always taken that as taking over.

Either way, I don't think that Iorfa and Hunt's going to work. It didn't last season. 

Not having a striker being a RWB’s man. He enters the box with Iorfa side by side. Bishop moves away from Iorfa and he doesn’t stick with him. Iorfa just has to take charge of that situation.

Worked fine last season without Iorfa. 

I think Moore is open to criticism on the matter also. This issue of defending crosses/set pieces/corners goes back to Morecambe away in August 2021. It should have been addressed by now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It does make you wonder about not keeping Hutchinson on.

Someone who could play in all 3CB positions and could play too.

Ok, perhaps it was time to part ways, but then you need to bring in someone who can do a similar job.

Instead, we've opted to sign lumps. If that's the way you want to do, then fair enough. But the style has to change too. 

May also help if the three lumps could defend crosses properly.

I completely agree. Crazy to let hutch go. Like you say, he could play in any position in a back 3 and could also play centre half in a back 4 and he’s a very good player too. 

The centre halves we’ve brought in and iorfa all look better playing in a back 4 to me. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pastor Kidneys said:

Ihiekwe will be OK when he settles but it's baffling we couldn't persuade Hutch to give us one more year - he's easily as good as what we have now.

By all accounts he didn't need much persuading, he wanted to stay. But we decided not to even offer him a low valuation contract (which we did with NML, Wildsmith and Luongo).

3 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

They know there isn't a runner for the third.

image.thumb.png.c0dd0adc022c41f106bf26ed0927ba6a.png

Just before the ball comes in, Iorfa looks round, there's nobody else and Jack has his hand on the man's shoulder.

He's Hunt's man every day of the week.

I like seeing the freeze-frames posted and the discussion you're having with 0114. Agree with most of what you've posted.

But as I'm a pedant, so I'm going to pick out the flaw anyway.

Posting "they know there isn't a runner for the third" then posting a picture of an unmarked runner darting towards the box. He's even got his arm outstretched saying "hey, pass it to me!"

7 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

By all accounts he didn't need much persuading, he wanted to stay. But we decided not to even offer him a low valuation contract (which we did with NML, Wildsmith and Luongo).

Hutchinson is injured yet again and did not play yesterday.

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

Hutchinson is injured yet again and did not play yesterday.

Yeah, because Reading have had him haring round in defensive midfield all pre-season trying to earn a new contract.

We know if you play him as a midfielder he will break down. We also know if you pick him a a centre half and manage his minutes in training he will be available for nearly every game (the only serious injury he's had in the past year and a half was when we pushed him back to midfield for Wigan away).

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

How did Ihiekwe do at LCB? 

I was hoping we would start the season with Famewo on his natural side. It’s much easier for a leftie to close down the RW quickly. Also helps start our attacks with balance.

I was impressed with a couple of headers he won where he seemed to be second favourite. Really attacked the ball. And he almost scored with a bullet header that the defender blocked more by luck than judgement.

He looked a bit uncomfortable receiving the ball and almost stumbled a couple of times as well. Not helped that Heneghan's passes to him were often a yard or two behind him. I agree I would like to see him at RCB.

Generally we spent too long just passing the ball in a line between the three centre halves. The first goal came from Byers finding that little pocket of space in midfield and playing a ball in to Gregory's feet. (I'll credit Iorfa for once as he found Byers). We should have found our midfielders in these positions more often, because too many times we were just playing horizontal balls across the defence.

Which is why we had 60% possession but the ball spent more time in our third of the pitch than Pompey's.

19 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hutch, Storey, Gibson, Dean.

Think they’re all better than any of our current defenders.

Only one game but really wasn’t convinced with the three at the back 

Seeing as Both Storey and Dean hardly played.

The three at the back were OK in the 1st 45 min's, then Portsmorth began to go through our midfield like a knife through butter.

Iorfa is the issue in that back 3,  his defending in the second half yesterday was Sunday league stuff ,  2 of them goals were his mistakes , plain and simple 

Dom has got a massive season ahead of him, he’s a player we all know had great potential and when we got relegated it was largely said to be down to his injury and we all thought a championship club would take him ,  but he’s a league one centre half now and for me he’s got it all to proove this season in terms of ability , and definitely fitness 

He looks a mile off the player he was,  I think Moore will stick to a three and drop him 

The back 4 isn’t used because of our lack of wingers. We play a 3 to get width from our wing backs because we’ve recruited nobody to play in a 4231 or 433. All our wide players Hunt/Johnson/James/palmer are all wing backs at a push, 3 of them full backs really. So we don’t have the players to go back to a back 4. Heneghan didn’t look too bad, he was dragged out of the box into the full back areas too often though leaving Iorfa in the box to defend crosses, and we all know how that ended up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Seeing as Both Storey and Dean hardly played.

The three at the back were OK in the 1st 45 min's, then Portsmorth began to go through our midfield like a knife through butter.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Storey played every game? 

Yep. 

Pretty sure Storey played every single game from the day he signed on loan. 

Love to know who adelphi thinks was playing instead of him :duntmatter:

Have an ex-CB with over 700 career apps and sign an experienced GK and bunch of 6ft plus, man mountain CBs.

There is no way SWFC will be as vulnerable to simple crosses into the box and concede loads of goals from headers.

SWFC: