Defence looks weaker than last season

3 minutes ago, Avonowl said:

Like others have said I just wish we'd play 4 4 2 as I always sense the players have more instinct as to where they need to be in this system, especially when under pressure.  And also agree when the opposition get in down the side with a back 3 there is always uncertainty as to who goes out to cover and then who is picking up who in the box. Just not sure we have good enough players to play 3 at the back but maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I think 4231 would be an alternative that might suit us as 442 means we leave out too many midfielders which are arguably our strength and we don’t have wingers yet. Bannan would have to play in the middle but in a two we can then be bullied. But whether it’s 352 442!or whatever if no one is doing the tacking and the dirty work even just putting them under pressure or blocking lines of passing then we will concede way more goals.

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

I think 4231 would be an alternative that might suit us as 442 means we leave out too many midfielders which are arguably our strength and we don’t have wingers yet. Bannan would have to play in the middle but in a two we can then be bullied. But whether it’s 352 442!or whatever if no one is doing the tacking and the dirty work even just putting them under pressure or blocking lines of passing then we will concede way more goals.

442 you lose Bannan.

4231 you lose Gregory.

That's the only reason we play 352.

Edited by Tewkesbury
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Bluesteel. said:

I agree, we don't really have the players to go 4 4 2 now and Moore has recruited seemingly to play 5 in midfield which is fine if that's what he wants.  I guess the main frustration is that the basics of defending seem to be missing at times and I just wonder whether playing 3 across the back helps or hinders this. Also if we are wanting to play 3 at the back I'm not sure we've recruited the right defenders to do this? Are they quick enough and good enough on the ball? 

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

To be fair we've got 3 CBs and a new goalkeeper who have never played a competitive game together before today.

It seems a bit harsh to say Moore has had a long time with them and failed to sort them out. Though I appreciate he's had time with the system more generally.

I think it's inevitable the defence will improve as a unit as they get used to playing with each other.

Whether todays issues are soley new players gelling or partly down to Moore's coaching remains to be seen. Hopefully just the former.

I get what you’re saying pal but it’s very much a case of different players but same old mistakes.

Also he didn’t have to change the defence like he has, he decided not offer Sam Hutchinson a new deal and now Hutchinson has a contract at a Championship club.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Avonowl said:

I agree, we don't really have the players to go 4 4 2 now and Moore has recruited seemingly to play 5 in midfield which is fine if that's what he wants.  I guess the main frustration is that the basics of defending seem to be missing at times and I just wonder whether playing 3 across the back helps or hinders this. Also if we are wanting to play 3 at the back I'm not sure we've recruited the right defenders to do this? Are they quick enough and good enough on the ball? 

For the third tier they should be capable. I know Iorfa has his doubters but he was decent in the league above and Ihiekwe has got promotion 2/3 times. They haven’t played together though and they have lost a screening player in Luongo and Adeniran is the only real tackler in the team. Not sure Vaulks is a consistent metronomic ball winner/scrapper like Luongo was and neither is Bakinson 

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

We tried that last season, didn't go well.

Can’t have done it that much as Windass was injured. I thought it ended up more a 433 but the two wingers were two far apart and left LG on his own. We’d probably have to play narrower to keep players around him or smith with Hunt and Johnson providing width from full back. 

44 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

For me one of Storey and Dean are an absolute must, preferably both, if Chansiri is serious about promotion this season and there.is money to spend then these 2 need to be top of the shopping list as a matter of urgency.

Storey is a no go but Dean should be possible.  In two games our defence has conceded 4 goals at Wigan (*friendly) and 3 goals at home today, not very encouraging 

Hopefully Chansiri pushes the boat out within our means next week and we bring in a top defender for this level. 

10 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Can’t have done it that much as Windass was injured. I thought it ended up more a 433 but the two wingers were two far apart and left LG on his own. We’d probably have to play narrower to keep players around him or smith with Hunt and Johnson providing width from full back. 

We literally tried every combination of players in the 3, but Gregory can't play it and ended up isolated.

That's why we went to 2 up, he needs a partner.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, debram said:

Heart in mouth job whe were defending our final 3rd, how long do you need Darren. 

Very disappointing that an ex CB has not sorted out the defensive frailties that were so apparent last season and indeed might even be worse now.

Darren was concerned last week and he should be even more concerned this week after another week's training hasn't made much difference.

It's nothing to do with formations. 

1. Close down quicker and don't allow easy balls into your own box (see all 3 goals today)

2. Don't lose your man (see Iorfa today x 2)

3. Have a keeper who isn't overweight and past his best (see Stockdale)

• Like 1

Second half in transition we were wide open with 3 at the back, lesser teams we can get away with it but the better teams will gamble and overload out wide. Yes the defending from the centre half’s was poor but all 3 goals came from unchallenged crosses. I think we will lose a lot more games this year if we stick to solely playing 3-5-2 it’s predictable and allows teams to play in to space behind the wing backs or overload and go 2 on 1. 
Going forward we looked good today, defending whether it be ability, familiarity or formation we were way off it. 
UTO

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 0114 said:

Nothing new from Iorfa. 

Heneghan looks a low end L1 signing, I can see why his stats are high in heading and clearances because he never ever takes a touch or wants to control the ball. Just attacks everything and gets dragged around following strikers. 

None comfortable on the ball either, we’ve lost that from last season. 

This ^^^

Heneghan will look quite commanding when heading and can also ping the odd ball out wide but I fear when he comes up against any striker with speed he won't cope. He'll get run ragged.

Iorfa constantly gets under the ball and it sails over his head ... with how tall he is it's infuriating. Needs to sort his positioning.

Ihiekwe will be OK when he settles but it's baffling we couldn't persuade Hutch to give us one more year - he's easily as good as what we have now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

Storey is a no go but Dean should be possible.  In two games our defence has conceded 4 goals at Wigan (*friendly) and 3 goals at home today, not very encouraging 

Hopefully Chansiri pushes the boat out within our means next week and we bring in a top defender for this level. 

I agree that Dean would be the easier of the two to sign, as for Storey, it completely depends on Chansiri  and how much he is willing to spend and how much he is allowed to spend, I don't think he is completely unrealistic.

8 hours ago, Pastor Kidneys said:

This ^^^

Heneghan will look quite commanding when heading and can also ping the odd ball out wide but I fear when he comes up against any striker with speed he won't cope. He'll get run ragged.

Iorfa constantly gets under the ball and it sails over his head ... with how tall he is it's infuriating. Needs to sort his positioning.

Ihiekwe will be OK when he settles but it's baffling we couldn't persuade Hutch to give us one more year - he's easily as good as what we have now.

Hutchinson is , inevitably, injured at Reading - he is ‘ two or three weeks away’ according to Paul Ince  and did not play in their defeat at Blackpool yesterday.

that I suspect is why your man was released.  

• Like 1