• Byers
    • Dele-Bashiru
    • Bannan
    • Windass
    • Gregory
    • Smith
    • Vaulks

6 hours ago, savi said:

I've jumped straight to here, not read anyone's posts but here's my take.

Johnson was awful, just didn't want to attack the full back and they targeted our left hand side in the second half.

Iorfa was left wandering a few times.

Bannan non existent until 84th min apart from a couple of decent passes.

Gregory / Windass not for me, we looked more dangerous in the little time Smith / Gregory was on the pitch.

Left hand side needs addressing for me and quickly.

Didn't watch the game, only the highlights but that's what I thought immediately, what on earth happened down our left side second half? And was it happening first half but we got away with it? 

Stockdale 3 Like mentioned before, he looked dreadful. Massively over weight. The first goal looked like a standard save, a sift header from the edge of the 18 yard box. The second was odd, he just seemed to stand still. No fault for the third. 

Iorfa 1 As bad of a display of defending you could ever wish to see. He gets the 1 for somehow not giving a pen away at the end. 

Heneghan 4 Thought he did ok first half. All over the place second

Ihiekwe 4 As above

Hunt 6

Byers 6

Fiz 9 Best performance by a mile in a Wednesday shirt, hopefully finds some consistency

Bannan 7 Brilliant pass for our first goal but didn’t influence the game enough 

Johnson 6 Took his goal well but really poor defensively second half. Cowley definitely targeted him.

Gregory 4

Windass 5

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Night King said:

Stockdale 3 Like mentioned before, he looked dreadful. Massively over weight. The first goal looked like a standard save, a sift header from the edge of the 18 yard box. The second was odd, he just seemed to stand still. No fault for the third. 

Iorfa 1 As bad of a display of defending you could ever wish to see. He gets the 1 for somehow not giving a pen away at the end. 

Heneghan 4 Thought he did ok first half. All over the place second

Ihiekwe 4 As above

Hunt 6

Byers 6

Fiz 9 Best performance by a mile in a Wednesday shirt, hopefully finds some consistency

Bannan 7 Brilliant pass for our first goal but didn’t influence the game enough 

Johnson 6 Took his goal well but really poor defensively second half. Cowley definitely targeted him.

Gregory 4

Windass 5

Just seen the goals back and I’ve been very harsh on Stockdale 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, New Zealand Owls said:

Didn't watch the game, only the highlights but that's what I thought immediately, what on earth happened down our left side second half? And was it happening first half but we got away with it? 

It wasn't such an issue in the first half, as Portsmouth didn't really attack a great deal. Johnson was having a mardy for much of the first half, as he seemed to feel that he wasn't being supported out wide. At that point, it was in an attacking sense...

However, straight from the restart, it was evident they'd been told to get the ball into that space behind our wingbacks and attack from there, which they did repeatedly.

If we're going to play 3-5-2, we have to accept a certain weakness to attacks down the flanks, but if we're going to couple that with an inability to win headers in our own penalty box, then we're in massive trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stockdale: 5

Iorfa: 4

Heneghan: 5

Ihiekwe: 5

Hunt: 6

Johnson: 7

Byers: 8

Dele-Bashiru: 9

Bannan: 7

Windass: 7

Gregory: 5

Everything was going through Byers and he won a lot of the ball. Dele looked a real beast. Windass started well but faded. The back line is going to be a massive problem. Heneghan looks good when the balls coming onto him but when he’s going backwards is very uncomfortable. Ihekwe is all right foot, should be on the right of a 3 but I think he’ll be ok but Iorfa should not play CB again !! And Stockdale didn’t cover himself in glory either. I know it’s early days but we look a good side going forward but a bad side defensively. Mistakes have been made I think. Let’s hope we can get a few players in 

44 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It wasn't such an issue in the first half, as Portsmouth didn't really attack a great deal. Johnson was having a mardy for much of the first half, as he seemed to feel that he wasn't being supported out wide. At that point, it was in an attacking sense...

However, straight from the restart, it was evident they'd been told to get the ball into that space behind our wingbacks and attack from there, which they did repeatedly.

If we're going to play 3-5-2, we have to accept a certain weakness to attacks down the flanks, but if we're going to couple that with an inability to win headers in our own penalty box, then we're in massive trouble.

This is what worries me.

Hes brought these players in to stop us conceding goals from crosses at the expense of being able to play football from the back. But when the ball is out wide they looked like a car crash. 

No where near as good as the players that Have left. 

• Like 1

My scores in the cold light of day:

Stockdale 5 - nothing to do 1st half but poor for the second goal and poor distribution

Hunt 6 - put the work in

Johnson 7 - drove forward when he could and well taken goal. Delivery could have been better on occasion 

Iorfa 3 - all arms and legs

Heneghan - 4 some good stuff but wild in his clearances and gave the ball way too much

Ihiekwe 4 - bullet header unlucky not to score but poor playing out from the back

Bannan 6 - tried too hard on occasion and playing far too far forward. World's pass in build up to 1st goal

Byers 5 - good 1st half but struggled in the holding role

FDB 8 - great game and two fantastic goals. MOTM

Gregory 8 - another solid performance

Windass 6 - great move and pass for 1st goal. Trying too hard and disappeared in 2nd half

Smith 3 - disappointing didn't seem to put much effort in

Vaulks N/a

4 hours ago, wiltonowl said:

2 good goals,lost ball every other time he had it,how is he running away with the vote.

Hunt was better with the ball,Byers was good 1st half,

Probably cos most didn't see it the way you did. Created two good chances with excellent play in addition to two terrific goals.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Probably cos most didn't see it the way you did. Created two good chances with excellent play in addition to two terrific goals.

The part where he surged past the defender and put in a pinpoint cross for Ihiekwe (that was blocked on the line by the defender) was awesome.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wiltonowl said:

2 good goals,lost ball every other time he had it,how is he running away with the vote.

Hunt was better with the ball,Byers was good 1st half,

Meanwhile, in reality, he lost the ball the same number of times as Lee Gregory (4) and had a higher passing completion rate of our two other CM's.

I love hearing differing opinions, but I do wish they wouldn't be incongruous to reality 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Luke said:

Dele 7  (good goals)

Rest of midfield 5 (lost the battle again)

Strikers 4  (not their fault)

Defence 2 (shocking!)

Stockdale 3 (made a complete mess of their second goal)

Why did we choose to sign stockdale for christ sake, anyone know?

• Haha 2