• Johnson
    • Byers
    • Dele-Bashiru
    • Bannan
    • Windass
    • Gregory
    • Smith
    • Vaulks

Fizz !  An outstanding performance from an outstanding player, I’m sure there will be some serious backtracking from a lot of posters who were quite happy to let him leave the other week !!  #uto 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Owl said:

Fizz !  An outstanding performance from an outstanding player, I’m sure there will be some serious backtracking from a lot of posters who were quite happy to let him leave the other week !!  #uto 

Agree why let him leave before he's finished his development - Just got to make sure he doesnt go for free at the end of this season

• Like 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, prowl said:

I'm not giving points for that.

My thoughts.

Iorfa was dreadful, not just poor or very poor but abysmally dreadful. Was at fault for 2 goals, his passing was awful, going forward he made the wrong decision every time. A proper shitshow.

Stockdale is very overweight and can't jump, he's useless on crosses. He needs to lose weight or the shirt, it's as simple as that.

Henegan looked good.

Our crossing was very poor, over hit, under hit, not by a bit but grossly so. Johnson was nothing like the player who ripped teams apart last season. If he's playing to instructions the instructions need to change.

I don't see what Gregory did wrong to get sent off, he was sandwiched between 2 and looked like he was fouled.

I thought we were playing really well for 20 minutes or so after the first goal, champagne football but it all went flat after that. They were rocking and should never have got back into the game. Well done to them but we need to finish teams off clinically in those situations.

Byers is class but he drifted in and out today.

2 good goals from FDB ,particularly the second.....but he gave the ball away and cost us a goal. He will learn, it's what you expect from young(ish) players.

Did I mention that Henegan looked good.

Great summary - mainly what i saw as well - good comments

9 minutes ago, Owl said:

I'm not one of those happy to let him leave but let's get this in proportion, it's one game where he scored  2 good goals and gave the ball away in a position that cost us a goal. OK the defenders might have done better but still he lost the ball in a bad position. It's what I expect from a good young player, a curates egg type of game, good bits and bad bits, today the good bits were very good.

The main thing though is it is just one game. He needs to do it week inand week out.

• Haha 1

Dele Bashiru MOTM  with an an 8.5 throughout. Johnson set similar attacking standards in 1st half but then remembered he was a defender , a poor one at that. 

4's, 5's and 6's could be shared by the rest without a lot to choose between them. 

More fine tuning is required for a second season. Moore though has proved himself to be more than capable !

Shocking defensive display spoiled what should have been a comfortable win.

Fizz was very good not just his 2 great goals but also the way he powers past players is really good. 

Stockdale.        4.5

Iorfa.                   3

Heneghan.         5

Iheikwe.              5

Hunt.                    6

Fizz.                     8.5.      MoM

Bannan.               6.5

Byers.                   6

Johnson.              6

Gregory.                6

Windass.               6

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

My scores:

Stockdale: 5 - didn't do much except pick the ball out of the net three times.

Iorfa: 3 - an absolutely bomb scare, passes go out of play, twice lost his man for goals, and decided to kung-fu kick their attacker in the head in the corner of the penalty area (and somehow got away with it)

Heneghan: 6 - can't fault him for any of the goals, odd hairy moment with passes along the backline

Ihiekwe: 6 - see Heneghan. Was unlucky his bullet header was blocked on the line by a defender

Hunt: 6.5 - usual scampering performance but got a little overrun at times in the second half

Johnson: 8 - the usual quality Neymarv performance and well controlled shot for the goal

Byers: 7 - industrious performance to keep us ticking over

Dele-Bashiru: 9.5 - MoM. "No - don't shoot from there it'll......WHAT A GOAL!". Great power driving forward. And another thunder-strike for his second. I still worry about him off the ball sometimes, but he's so good on the ball.

Bannan: 7.5 - delightful clipped ball for the first goal. Though didn't quite get on the ball as often as we would have liked.

Windass: 7.5 - Great composure for the first goal. Poor defending for first Pompey goal though.

Gregory: 7 - Red card was an absolute nonsense, Gregory was pulled back initially. Unfortunately can't appeal it as it is two yellows. Nearly got on the end of quite a few things. 

Smith: 6.5 - Held in the box - perhaps should have been a pen? (Same thing happened to Gregory earlier too).

Vaulks: N/A - Not on long enough to say

Dont agree with Gregory.thought he was awful..

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, prowl said:

I'm not one of those happy to let him leave but let's get this in proportion, it's one game where he scored  2 good goals and gave the ball away in a position that cost us a goal. OK the defenders might have done better but still he lost the ball in a bad position. It's what I expect from a good young player, a curates egg type of game, good bits and bad bits, today the good bits were very good.

The main thing though is it is just one game. He needs to do it week inand week out.

Still a youngster but clearly improving. Not just today as there were good signs last season. Yes he lost possession but in an area where it really shouldn't have led to a goal. Looks a terrific prospect. Two terrific goals and another couple of occasions where his excellent play very nearly led to goals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prowl said:

Starting Fizz in the first game of the season, tells me he’s well and truly in Darren Moore’s plans. And so he should be !!   #uto 

• Like 1

Playing three primarily attacking central midfielders like Bannan, Byers and Fizz looks great when controlling midfield like we did in the first half hour.

It can also be our Achilles as it leaves us week defensively. Look at their first goal, Byers easily brushed off the ball and Bannan trying to mark a 6 footer who scores. Fizz for all of his strength is not a defensive player.

The difference Luongo made last season was vital as we moved up the table.

If we keep the same system hopefully Vaulks can fill that role and it would be two from Fizz, Byers and Bannan further forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulrs said:

Stockdale 6 

Iorfa 4

Heneghan 7

Ihiekwe 6

Hunt 6

Byers 6

Bannan 7

FDB 8 MOTM

Johnson 6

Windass 5

Gregory 5

I thought overall we should've won, dominated most of the game, far more possession, far more shots, far more corners. But a mad 12-minute spell where we conceded 3 headed goals was shocking to see really. Nothing glaringly wrong with the way we defended the first, but the second I think it was FDB got caught in possession and Iorfa lost his man from the resulting cross... and the third there was no closing down at all of the cross (by Ihiekwe I think) and Iorfa lost his man once again. 

A day to forget defensively, and none of the strikers had a particularly good day either, and yet we still scored 3 and got a point against probably one of the better teams in the league.

The first goal was worrying as Stockdale was very late to react to the header which resulted in the goal.

• Like 1

I've jumped straight to here, not read anyone's posts but here's my take.

Johnson was awful, just didn't want to attack the full back and they targeted our left hand side in the second half.

Iorfa was left wandering a few times.

Bannan non existent until 84th min apart from a couple of decent passes.

Gregory / Windass not for me, we looked more dangerous in the little time Smith / Gregory was on the pitch.

Left hand side needs addressing for me and quickly.

Stockdale -4  whoever scouted this lad wants a rocket

Iorfa -3 Hes been poor for quite some time and doesnt look like improving

Heneghan -5 steady  lost out in a few headed dual, one of which was a goal

Ihiekwe -5 won most of his headers, was left very exposed by johnson

Hunt-6 struggled to make a telling impact, but did ok when he got the chance

Johnson -4 crossing was way off to much pace on, caught out of position numerous times, failed to follow the ball in when well placed for what would have been an open net

Byers -6 flitted in and out, passed and competed well, but got outmuscled a few times too

Dele-Bashiru -9 will have impressed his admirers, if he keeps that form going hel be a massive asset

Bannan -7 passed it well as always, and found space

Windass -7 had a decent 1st half but faded after an hour

Gregory -6 struggled to affect the game, didnt really get the right type of balls to run out, stupid pulling the player down when hes on a yellow

• Like 1

Average scores as they stand:

Stockdale: 4.8

Iorfa: 3.5

Heneghan: 5.1

Ihiekwe: 5.1

Hunt: 6.1

Johnson: 6.0

Byers: 6.5

Dele-Bashiru: 8.3

Bannan: 6.8

Windass: 5.9

Gregory: 5.4

Smith: 6.0

I'll tally up the final scored at the end of Sunday.