Referees to clamp down on time wasting

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I just want to stop all the play acting face clutching rolling round nonsense 

I agree...........and would be so easy to do.....if the ref is unsure a quick word to VAR to confirm the playacting and a mandatory yellow card.

I guarantee once the cards , points and dismissals start to pile up the managers would call on players to pack it in.

17 hours ago, room0035 said:

Can they also make sure throw ins are taken from the correct spot, the amount of time the taker get 10 yards with the line shuffle before taking the throw. Its basically cheating but one that the referees do nothing about.

As with any clamping down on rules its the consistency that is the problem. One referee with book a player another one won't even acknowledge the infringment.

easy to sort...if you don't take it from the right place it goes to the opposition 

The problem with stopping the clock for every dead ball situation is that the matches would take so much longer to complete. I went to an NHL game in Pittsburgh a few years ago and from the first face-off to final horn took almost two-and-a-half hours - and that's for a game that's supposed to last 60 minutes. Midweek matches would see fans leaving the stadium in the early hours of the morning, and most people wouldn't even bother travelling to away games.

4 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

easy to sort...if you don't take it from the right place it goes to the opposition 

It could be so easy to sort but every referee in every game seems to turn a blind eye to it.

if you won a free kick then moved it forward 10 yards the referee would push you back, but with a throw in they dont seem bothered.

On 29/07/2022 at 05:40, Miffed said:

I’ve seen refs pull us up and retake quick throw-ins that we’ve made a few yards deeper than where the ball went out of play.

No advantage is gained from it and the ball is back in play quicker. Makes no sense to me.

So a ref implementing the laws of the game doesn’t make sense to you?

3 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

A bit optimistic. Ref was a joke today 

I gave them a chance before writing to the EFL demanding they send the clown referees to Accrington Stanley and not to S6. Seen enough already to know the declaration on stamping down hard on time wasting is  another load of shyte.

8 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

A bit optimistic. Ref was a joke today 

Agreed!

I am not making excuses for our not winning today, as we defended very poorly, especially Iorfa, but IMO today's ref. was totally inept & very biased towards the away team😡🤬

To issue so many yellow cards to us & then send off Gregory, exemplifies that fact.

This pathetic excuse of a referee lost the game completely at that point.

Even his assistants had no idea what was going on.

Total confusion!

It was never a free kick leading up to their first goal.

It was also never a "dirty" game to justify him brandishing so many cards.

He didn't deal with the opponents time wasting at all.

I can accept not winning, but if  this is an indication of the very poor standard of refereeing on League One this season, then it doesn't bode well.

Rant over.............

• Like 2

Yeah we got our first taste of league 1 ref today and fizz me was it an eye opener 

it seems you can kick lumps out of the little technical lads but the big lads go over and lye down the ref blows up and gives them a few minutes to rub their leg... 

Hilarious 

• Like 3

Time wasting is so frustrating and the referee gets a lot of the blame. 

But isn’t it time the players and managers were called out for it. 

As soon as Portsmouth scored the 3rd I saw there assistant manager shouting over to there keeper. Next thing you know he’s taking an age with everything and faking an injury. 

It doesn’t take a genius to work out what the assistant manager said to the keeper. 

• Like 1

It's no good the ref waving his watch on the air while the player is getting treatment - by then it's too late as it completely took the impetus out of the game after we equalised. Objective achieved from their perspective, and it almost worked doubly well because the time added on for their own cheating saw them playing against our 10 men so they could've won as a result.

But the icing on the cake was when Portsmouth waited and waited while the keeper got treatment for a non-existent injury, then just as play was finally about to re-start they decided to bring a sub on. Sh*thousery of the highest order that, and the clown of a ref bent over and allowed it.

• Like 2

The time wasting is going to be highly enraging I must admit, esp with the game at 80 odd minutes and them feinung injury to hang onto a point 🤪

butnthe most noticeable and even more pressing is after one game we’re saying “some walking wounded” on our forum 

And thats against supposedly one of the least pysical sides... WTF:

A couple of suggestions that might help solve this:

1) Carry on the game while the player receives treatment.

We should still stop the game for impact injuries and things that look serious. But if it is a conditioning injury like cramp, or whatever their keeper had in the 87th minute (i.e. nothing). Just carry on playing the game. As Ian Healy once said to Arjuna Ranatunga - "you don't get a runner for being an overweight, fat ****". So change the word runner for breather and it is the same principle. The physio can run on the pitch and treat these imaginary injuries if they like. If the ball hits the physio award a drop ball.

2) Time added-on split into two and given as an option to each team.

This is a bit rarer - bit it really winds me up when a team wastes time and then occasionally score in the time added on that they themselves wasted. I remember Hull doing this against us once a few years back. Time wasting all second half. We eventually take the lead in the 90th minute. Hull equalise in the 95th.

So if the 4th official holds up two numbers - i.e. the 7 minutes injury time is 1 minute for SWFC stoppages and 6 mins for Portsmouth stoppages, then Wednesday have the option to finish the game at any point after 91 minutes, while Portsmouth can end it at any point after 96 mins (when ball goes dead).

This might reduce time-wasting as you know if you do concede a winning goal in added on time then the game will immediately end. It would have been strangely satisfying after Portsmouth had wasted 3 minutes from 85-87 minutes, if after Gregory had committed that foul and been sent off in the 93rd minute if we had the option of saying, "Actually, you know what, we don't want that time added that you wasted any more. Game over."

Also it may incentivise the refs to be braver with adding time on for time wasting.

• Love 1