Referees to clamp down on time wasting

3 hours ago, AtkinsonsBarmyArmy said:

Spot on. Keeper's hold onto it for far far longer than 6 seconds. It's ridiculous. I'm constantly shouting at referee's "how bloody long ref" "he may as well have his own ball". This and diving/feigning injury are 2 of the biggest things that pee me off about football today, and for a while actually.

What get's me is when some one get's tackled around the Ankle, goes down, holding said ankle, then holds his head, knowing the Ref has to stop play because of Head injury.😡

• Like 1

Perhaps the game needs a designated time keeper, not on the field of play. Perhaps it could be the 4th official or someone else. When the ball is out for a throw, the clock stops until the ball has left the players hands. When a free kick is awarded, the game time stops, until the ball is kicked. Same with goal kicks, corners and penalties. The ref has enough to deal with already without the added distraction of dealing with time. Let them referee the game whilst someone else control the game time. The time controller can sync' the watches of all officials via an app. That's not a difficult thing to do.

Head injuries. Take them off the pitch for 10 minutes. I don't like VAR, but review all injuries from fouls (where a player goes down like they've just lost a limb) and anyone feigning injury, should be given a yellow card and removed from play for 5 minutes. Get 5 yellows including one or more for feigning injury and it's an automatic two match ban. Get 10 yellows before the 32nd fixture, including feigning injury and it's a 4 match ban, not two. Do this retrospectively for leagues without VAR.

Depending on what league the team is in, the club gets hit with a hefty fine. Discipline starts before the players cross the white line.

These are just some random ideas I've just thought about.

Edited by ChapSmurf
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, striker said:

I'll believe it when I see it 

Referees at this level are not particularly competent applying the laws as is without busying their heads with new initiatives.

A well intentioned directive, but doubt it will be effectively and consistently applied. 

Unfortunately supporters at all levels are even less competent in knowing the laws than the refs are at applying them

2 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

idea of a 'marker' is OK but the linesman has to remain square with the defence in his half.

linesman on both sides in each half, using the magic spray as a marker where the ball went out of play

Player can throw the ball back into play anywhere behind the line (depending on whether attacking or defending) but not in front of it 

2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

linesman on both sides in each half, using the magic spray as a marker where the ball went out of play

Player can throw the ball back into play anywhere behind the line (depending on whether attacking or defending) but not in front of it 

So you’d change the rules so the throw could be taken anywhere as long as it was behind where it went out of play?

Just as an aside, and to link the two discussions, I think that the WSL would be a great place to trial any rule changes such as stopped clocks.

The rules get tested in a professional environment, with decent refs and away from the monetary pressures of the men's professional game.

The WSL gets to market itself as pioneers, with new rules addressing fan's biggest issues, a game with no timewasting or simulation.

It'd drive interest in the WSL, set them apart a bit more, and it would get new faces through the turnstiles as people would go just to see how it worked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

Just as an aside, and to link the two discussions, I think that the WSL would be a great place to trial any rule changes such as stopped clocks.

The rules get tested in a professional environment, with decent refs and away from the monetary pressures of the men's professional game.

The WSL gets to market itself as pioneers, with new rules addressing fan's biggest issues, a game with no timewasting or simulation.

It'd drive interest in the WSL, set them apart a bit more, and it would get new faces through the turnstiles as people would go just to see how it worked.

Not a bad idea 

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Inevitably this will turn out like the 'refs are clamping down on dissent' briefings from a few years ago, which resulted in David Jones being sent off for questioning a referee's decision before the whole thing was quickly forgotten and we returned to scenes of Premier League players surrounding refs, getting in their faces, and generally behaving like wankpuffins.

This 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ian said:

So you’d change the rules so the throw could be taken anywhere as long as it was behind where it went out of play?

I’ve seen refs pull us up and retake quick throw-ins that we’ve made a few yards deeper than where the ball went out of play.

No advantage is gained from it and the ball is back in play quicker. Makes no sense to me.