Referees to clamp down on time wasting

7 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

And the tactic of blatantly pinching ten yards then saying sorry when the ref waves them back. Cue the slow walk back and asking "Just here ref?". Throws should be taken from the right place by the nearest player, not waiting for another to dawdle across. 

Make the linesman stand adjacent to the point where it should be thrown.

They move too far, the other team gets a go.

In basketball, they take too long, the other team gets it.

Let a few throwing near the area change hands or a goalkick becomes a corner, they'll soon get in line.

What annoys me is when players go down with a 'head injury' knowing the ref will have to stop the game. They should bring in a compulsory medical exclusion period after any head injury. 10 minutes assessment time off the pitch might stop it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

What annoys me is when players go down with a 'head injury' knowing the ref will have to stop the game. They should bring in a compulsory medical exclusion period after any head injury. 10 minutes assessment time off the pitch might stop it.

Yes, good idea. Refs are so easily fooled. A player just sits down and holds his head and the game is stopped. Only when they're 1-0 up.

I think we should have snipers on the roof of stadia with a timer. If a team takes more than 15 seconds to take a free kick then ‘bang’ sniper shoots the free kick takers keeper with a sedative dart that puts them to sleep for 10 mins. 
If a throw is taken more than 5 meters from where indicated same again ‘bang’ sedative dart in the throw taker. 
Same with keepers holding onto it and indeed any other offence that wastes time. 
It would be awesome and I’m sure effective. 

Sometimes my genius scares even me! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

idea of a 'marker' is OK but the linesman has to remain square with the defence in his half.

Use a ball boy then, give the linesman the shaving foam, or don't mark it at all.

Either way, the first time team loses a game because of it, then it'll stop immediately.

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

Use a ball boy then, give the linesman the shaving foam, or don't mark it at all.

Either way, the first time team loses a game because of it, then it'll stop immediately.

the linesman on that side of the field could be 50 yards away - they usually go with the defending left backs.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Inevitably this will turn out like the 'refs are clamping down on dissent' briefings from a few years ago, which resulted in David Jones being sent off for questioning a referee's decision before the whole thing was quickly forgotten and we returned to scenes of Premier League players surrounding refs, getting in their faces, and generally behaving like wankpuffins.

Wankpuffin is one of the greatest words I have ever heard in the English language.

Have a ❤️from me.

• Haha 2

Will always be ways that teams can waste time. 

Remember the old days when Liverpool would pass around back for 5 mins then roll back to Bruce. And then do same again. 

I think the fa are looking a lot at referees especially at grass roots. 

I had this email the other day 

Screenshot_20220728-200921.png

16 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

the linesman on that side of the field could be 50 yards away - they usually go with the defending left backs.

Copy basketball in a way. Place the ball down or pass it to the player. Show him where to go, they're not stupid. 

When the ball is in position, the ref blows, then counts 5 seconds on his fingers.

If they take too long, it goes to the opposition.

The opposition team will happily help get the ball to the right spot.

Free, goal and corner kicks, he puts the ball down, they get 15 seconds to take it or the opposition gets it.

As soon as a kick changes teams and somebody scores and wins from it, no more time wasting.

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

Copy basketball in a way. Place the ball down or pass it to the player. Show him where to go, they're not stupid. 

When the ball is in position, the ref blows, then counts 5 seconds on his fingers.

If they take too long, it goes to the opposition.

The opposition team will happily help get the ball to the right spot.

Free, goal and corner kicks, he puts the ball down, they get 15 seconds to take it or the opposition gets it.

As soon as a kick changes teams and somebody scores and wins from it, no more time wasting.

I like that a lot 

Owlstalk Shop

Best way to clamp down on it is to stop the match clock on deadballs.  Would save loads. Ref to man up with keepers who go to ground to waste time (10 sec from moment you have possession should do it). Mind you the other biggest waste is a ref blowing to just have a word for the 50th time, before losing his patience in the 92nd minute haha. 

Having said all that it won't last the month and the only team it'll directly cost in terms of result is us. Always is. Its like the unwritten rule haha.

I've still only seen 1 keeper get done holding onto the ball, that was Grant v Utd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1