Where are Wednesday going wrong?

23 minutes ago, shandypants said:

To be honest, I’m not that bothered. I’d rather us focus on getting back to the Championship and then the Prem. 

Well. Not sure that's the way it works. I have no figures at all to back this up, but leaving aside the Euros question we seem to be worse than many other clubs at using our ground to generate non-football revenues; and for that matter match day revenues too. Fixing that would not be easy: it stems from years of decay of the basic infrastructure, and appalling management of basic facilities. All the same, it's a problem, and it makes it materially more difficult for us to compete with clubs like Derby, Sunderland, MK Dons etc.

• Like 1

I loved it when we always got FA Cup semi-finals and '96 Euro games.  But at tournament games these days you always have an outer ring where tickets are checked before you get near the turnstiles, and sadly the location of Hillsborough means we'll never meet that criterion.

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Some serious insecurity here. Bramhall Lane was chosen because it's much smaller than Hillsborough? It's something like 34k vs 32k, if you wanna crack on that it's that 8% that got the other side of the city then be my guest, but y'all are deluding yourself...

Reality is, Hillsborough is a sh*thole. Beautiful facade, a gorgeous body, but it's got a pacemaker and is in need of replacement hips after years of lack of investment. Much like the training ground, it needs Premier League money to bring it up to scratch.

Pretending otherwise is weird.

It's not a sh*thole. It's showing its age a bit, but deary me.

Make it sound like it is in some sort of serious state of disrepair, falling apart.

Needs some TLC and the outside is s bit meh, but it still looks great once you're sat in your seat. Facilities in the South and North are fine, less so in the Kop and I've not been in the Leps Lane for a while.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Some serious insecurity here. Bramhall Lane was chosen because it's much smaller than Hillsborough? It's something like 34k vs 32k, if you wanna crack on that it's that 8% that got the other side of the city then be my guest, but y'all are deluding yourself...

Reality is, Hillsborough is a sh*thole. Beautiful facade, a gorgeous body, but it's got a pacemaker and is in need of replacement hips after years of lack of investment. Much like the training ground, it needs Premier League money to bring it up to scratch.

Pretending otherwise is weird.

It's bramall lane. Without the "h". 

And I have seen the report into why it was chosen over Hillsborough and believe me it's not deep. 

"Bramall lane is closer to main transport links "

Is literally the main reason 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's not a sh*thole. It's showing its age a bit, but deary me.

Make it sound like it is in some sort of serious state of disrepair, falling apart.

Needs some TLC and the outside is s bit meh, but it still looks great once you're sat in your seat. Facilities in the South and North are fine, less so in the Kop and I've not been in the Leps Lane for a while.

Facilties on North are sh!te

Personally glad the fantastic new pitch isn't being overused before we've been able to play a proper game on it yet.

The Women's Euros have benefitted for the smaller grounds, that's no criticism, just a fact. They'd rather have a full smaller ground than a 3/4 full bigger one. It looks better. 

Apologies if this isn't the case, but it does feel like a bit of a dig at the club for no real reason.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davey_wells said:

And because our stadium, frankly, still needs a lot of love.

I've heard the actual reason is because the BBC didn't approve of Presto as a sponsor.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, reggae said:

It's bramall lane. Without the "h". 

And I have seen the report into why it was chosen over Hillsborough and believe me it's not deep. 

"Bramall lane is closer to main transport links "

Is literally the main reason 

Bang on

The fan walk from the city centre to the games were fantastic too
Could have been done from Hillsborough Park or Hillsborough Corner of course but not quite the same as the city centre bars looking after them

Plus we need to remember that Tramlines was also happening this weekend

Owlstalk Shop

8 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

But those seats we can't use haven't disappeared, have they? We still have close to 40,000 of them, and there are swathes of empty ones even when we sell out. For the group games, the stadium would have been at best just over half-full, and the 13K for Sweden v Switzerland would have looked dreadful.

@SallyCinnamon  

Would you count it as   Wednesday going wrong? , if we just concentrated on other things like promotion, league position, youth development, community topics ect?

(not saying that's the case, but I find the thread title quite harsh, when we are talking about getting certain events to Hillsborough)

Have people even seen our stadium ? 

We still pisss up the wall in certain toilets ffs.

I get the irony, with Chancer spunking millions up the wall, but we haven't even painted our place for more years than anyone can remember.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1