Sh*te Years Ahead

4 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

The top clubs operate such vast youth systems now. The amount of "highly rated" kids on their books is ludicrous. Chelsea seem to have about 50 highly rated youngsters out on loan every year.

Foden aside, do City have much of a pedigree of youth products scattered across the Premier League or Championship? Genuine question - there's not many that stick out to me. 

Sancho - but got him at 14

1 hour ago, Doctor Duran said:

could be good.. could be a Ben Woodburn scenario.

Yes, he was the kid who had scored for Wales before evening joining Dem Blades. 

He was hopeless and I think he got released by Liverpool this summer. 

Think the point is it's a big step up from Under 23 football to the Championship. The kid might be amazing and take the division by storm. Likewise, he could find the step up too much at only 19 years of age. 

On 21/07/2022 at 16:12, Pablo Bonvin said:

What happened to the takeover by that supposed US quadrazillionaire? Is it dead in the water?

I'm not sure if this is still the case but.....

Without mentioning too much about were this information has come from (as in the person - but it's come from within the club), I understand McCabe is muddying the waters and causing some external issues around the ground. By external I mean something to do with planning permission, which could if he pursues this, mean ingress/egress issues and the potential for a reduced capacity. This is not aimed at the American investor sniffing around, but at the Poundland Prince. The randomness of this information actually gives it more credibility, but I've no reason to doubt that the source is telling me what he or she has heard themselves. Whether true or not I don't know, but something is stopping progress with the investor. He's not worth that much money by the way. Maybe a couple of hundred million (which is a lot, but not in football ownership circles).

On top of that, they have the issue of the servicable debts with the Kangeroo bank Macquarie. But whilst these are servicable, they are only servicable due to the parachute payments they are receiving, which must all be paid directly to Macquarie. In other words, they have no parachute payments to rely on, as they've already spent them. And they are paying interest, around 5%, on top.

They needed to go up last year, otherwise it would be serious. If they don't do it this year, they could end up in a real mess financially without offloading their star players.

Star players! I can't believe I typed that lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just looked on Swine Online to see what they make of McBarndoor's charge. To be fair many would be keen to see the back of him.

But there's one who is hoping that being charged will fire McB onto an amazing run of form like what happened with Ched Bundy apparently when he was charged.

More chance of me being the next pope. And I'm not even a Catholic.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Without mentioning too much about were this information has come from (as in the person - but it's come from within the club), I understand McCabe is muddying the waters and causing some external issues around the ground. By external I mean something to do with planning permission, which could if he pursues this, mean ingress/egress issues and the potential for a reduced capacity. This is not aimed at the American investor sniffing around, but at the Poundland Prince. The randomness of this information actually gives it more credibility, but I've no reason to doubt that the source is telling me what he or she has heard themselves. Whether true or not I don't know, but something is stopping progress with the investor. He's not worth that much money by the way. Maybe a couple of hundred million (which is a lot, but not in football ownership circles).

On top of that, they have the issue of the servicable debts with the Kangeroo bank Macquarie. But whilst these are servicable, they are only servicable due to the parachute payments they are receiving, which must all be paid directly to Macquarie. In other words, they have no parachute payments to rely on, as they've already spent them. And they are paying interest, around 5%, on top.

They needed to go up last year, otherwise it would be serious. If they don't do it this year, they could end up in a real mess financially without offloading their star players.

No reason to doubt any of this. Almost all of that is stuff that's either been speculated based on being extremely plausible, or that there's enough smoke around that we know to be true without knowing, if that makes sense. McCabe keeping his interest in the clubs property assets is something I can't believe more United fans don't seem worried about.

I've said on here a few times that I was completely relieved when they missed that last penalty against Forest. The way the caretaker manager somehow clawed them into the top 6 (and then laughably held onto it while about 4 other teams seasons imploded) could have been the ultimate get out of jail card - and their immediate return to the Prem could have made our lives pretty difficult/miserable for a long time. Financially they were under pressure to do it last season but they failed. I think this season represents another roll of the dice before things really implode, and obviously I'm praying again that it does.

Things will get very interesting very quickly if they don't go up this year. The history of Sheffield football is dominated by their fans running their gobsh*te mouths too quickly and being bit by the consequences. Lets see if it happens again.

• Like 3

Still makes me laugh that McCabe managed to lose his stake in the club for about 5 million? 

Tried to pull a fast one on the BogRoll and ended up missing out on three, four times what he ended up receiving? 

Nice to read their finances are in a parlous state if they don't get promoted. It's a shame that I think they'll probably have enough quality to challenge for the top 6, but I'm hoping that Heckingbottom proves himself to be actually useless and their upturn last season was just an extended new manager bounce. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

There's a big banner stuck outside on of the stands, something to do with Scarborough Holdings and coming soon.

No idea what it is, but seems strange that their old chairman, who their current chairman had a big fall out with (As he rinsed him), is allowed to advertise on the land. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

No reason to doubt any of this. Almost all of that is stuff that's either been speculated based on being extremely plausible, or that there's enough smoke around that we know to be true without knowing, if that makes sense. McCabe keeping his interest in the clubs property assets is something I can't believe more United fans don't seem worried about.

I've said on here a few times that I was completely relieved when they missed that last penalty against Forest. The way the caretaker manager somehow clawed them into the top 6 (and then laughably held onto it while about 4 other teams seasons imploded) could have been the ultimate get out of jail card - and their immediate return to the Prem could have made our lives pretty difficult/miserable for a long time. Financially they were under pressure to do it last season but they failed. I think this season represents another roll of the dice before things really implode, and obviously I'm praying again that it does.

Things will get very interesting very quickly if they don't go up this year. The history of Sheffield football is dominated by their fans running their gobsh*te mouths too quickly and being bit by the consequences. Lets see if it happens again.

The only thing I don't know, and that I'm having difficulty working out, is the what land/property McCabe could use against the club. What I was told is that this would affect their kop, but that in itself makes it harder to pinpoint exactly what and where. If this infomation was already doing the rounds, I wasn't aware. I've known this info for months but I tend to keep shtum on these things. At least 'til things have died down.

The Macquarie situation is well known and has been reported far and wide of course, but again I got to find this out shortly after the deal was struck. I'm not ITK and don't profess to be, but I do get to hear some very interesting bits of news/gossip from time to time, especially from within both Sheffield clubs. But then, I'm not the only one.

Like you, I really hope they fail and big time. This season could define their next decade or more, and I honestly don't think they have it in them get promoted. Both head and heart say that. Yes, they can attract a higher calibre of loan than we can, finances aside, but ulitmately like we have done in the past, they are borrowing other teams players, and they will pay the price for that in more ways than one.

I do like your closing summary. Balls-on accurate.

Just now, Skyline said:

There's a big banner stuck outside on of the stands, something to do with Scarborough Holdings and coming soon.

No idea what it is, but seems strange that their old chairman, who their current chairman had a big fall out with (As he rinsed him), is allowed to advertise on the land. 

Now that I didn't know. I don't tend to go in to that area of Sheffield very often.

Very interesting. It smells like something is definitely afoot then.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the young city lad signing on loan. It could go either way. One thing is doing it in the reserves and another thing all together in a competitive league like the Championship. I remember when we signed a young, highly-rated Ross Barkley on loan, while he had a decent spell with us he didn't particularly pull up any trees and I think most of us were a little underwhelmed as he was considered the next best thing at the time

50 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Just looked on Swine Online to see what they make of McBarndoor's charge. To be fair many would be keen to see the back of him.

But there's one who is hoping that being charged will fire McB onto an amazing run of form like what happened with Ched Bundy apparently when he was charged.

More chance of me being the next pope. And I'm not even a Catholic.

Yeah.

That ended well for them didn't it?

lol

13 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Now that I didn't know. I don't tend to go in to that area of Sheffield very often.

It's been there a while.

just seen this article

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/sheffield-united-and-developer-respond-after-coming-soon-posters-appear-walls-ground-3127847

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Those Banners have been there ages at least over a Year.

• Like 1

I know a couple of Man City Fans through work asked them about Mcatee and they say he's the real deal, they wanted him more involved this season but Pep wants him to have more game time and was impressed with how they dealt with Gibbs White last season. Sounds like a very very good signing for them.

Maybe Wonky Owl can shed more light on him if he is the real deal.

41 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Good find that man. That's an old article too, from Feb '21. I genuinely didn't know this was already news. I guess I'll need to find new sources lol