Jump to content

Ifs, buts and maybes, Jermaine Johnson


Recommended Posts

One of a very small number of players since the early 90s who could get the whole stadium on the edge of their seats. He’d get the ball and often it was like the whole stadium was encouraging him to ‘Gooo on’ 
 

The row Z thing was borne out of frustration more than anything because we all know what he was capable of on his day. It might be controversial but I don’t think he was any worse than Brunt for doing the same. (It was only when laws came and seemingly got Brunt to look up before delivering that Brunt improved no end) 

 

Also remember one manager thinking he was a right back. 🤦🏻‍♂️ that didn’t go down well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SiJ said:

I once told him to his face he was sh*t and I still think this post is rubbish.

 

For context, he had a particularly awful game against Coventry City in about 2009. 

 

Anyway, we are leaving Embrace (classy lot) and JJ and a few others (think Sodje was there) are wandering in. It's about 3am at this point.

 

Infuriated by having had to watch JJ smash the ball into Row Z earlier, I asked him if he was Jermaine Johnson. He said yes and I told him he was poo. I then followed this up with: "to clarify, I'm a Wednesday fan, and I still think you're poo." I think Sodje laughed and they went in.

 

Anyway, the lesson is don't go up to people and tell them that they're poo at their job. And JJ wasn't actually poo, he was just a bit hit and miss. 

 

 

Well you seem like an absolute treat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JJ was a funny player. He had a bit of skill and on his day had a good game…………But it is amazing how memories transform him into some kind of superstar.  Looking at his career at Wednesday as a whole he wasn’t even bang average.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Very hit and miss player.

 

Shame we couldn’t get more of the good days with JJ. So infuriating but worth having around for that moment he could provide. 


If he’d been more hit than miss, there’s no way he’d have been playing for us for very long! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JJ was an explosive sprinter. No one could catch him 10/10. When he crossed he was 4/10. When he shot he was 3/10. He was a team player and gave his best. When on top of his form he was a sensation. Loved by many scorned by a few. Loved the rockets that went half way up the Kop, But, WOW those that hit the top corner of the net. Happy/Frustrating days.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/07/2022 at 07:35, SiJ said:

I once told him to his face he was sh*t and I still think this post is rubbish.

 

For context, he had a particularly awful game against Coventry City in about 2009. 

 

Anyway, we are leaving Embrace (classy lot) and JJ and a few others (think Sodje was there) are wandering in. It's about 3am at this point.

 

Infuriated by having had to watch JJ smash the ball into Row Z earlier, I asked him if he was Jermaine Johnson. He said yes and I told him he was poo. I then followed this up with: "to clarify, I'm a Wednesday fan, and I still think you're poo." I think Sodje laughed and they went in.

 

Anyway, the lesson is don't go up to people and tell them that they're poo at their job. And JJ wasn't actually poo, he was just a bit hit and miss. 

 

 

You mean he tried to hit you and missed? lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

You mean he tried to hit you and missed? lol

Probably. 

 

Tbf, he took it a lot better than he should have done. 

 

Not my finest moment. Still - he was so bloody bad in that Cov game :duntmatter:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/07/2022 at 19:15, Andrew_Owl said:

A fan favourite whilst here, a very inconsistent player but when he was on form, he was unplayable, where in the pecking does an inform Jermaine Johnson place in our best ever players? Top 20?

No way - he had his moments, but that was it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Marro said:

JJ was a funny player. He had a bit of skill and on his day had a good game…………But it is amazing how memories transform him into some kind of superstar.  Looking at his career at Wednesday as a whole he wasn’t even bang average.


Feels like the opposite to me, seems like people forget how good he actually was for us. Yes he was hit and miss, and that’s the reason he played for us and not  at a higher level, but he wasn’t as bad as some are making out in this thread, not by a long way.

 

Not sure why because he was a firm fan favourite during his time with us. Granted, at times he could frustrate the fans, but most of the time we were singing about him being ‘faster than bolt’ and the times he made ‘United look Shyte’  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Miffed said:


Feels like the opposite to me, seems like people forget how good he actually was for us. Yes he was hit and miss, and that’s the reason he played for us and not  at a higher level, but he wasn’t as bad as some are making out in this thread, not by a long way.

 

Not sure why because he was a firm fan favourite during his time with us. Granted, at times he could frustrate the fans, but most of the time we were singing about him being ‘faster than bolt’ and the times he made ‘United look Shyte’  

To me JJ joins a long list of players who flattered to deceive.  How many games did he take by the scruff of the neck and influence?  I don’t think there were many.  …..I liked his fancy flicks and moments of good skill but he couldn’t deliver week in week out IMO and was a powderpuff type of player with no real substance.

 

 Certainly a player in recent years who has divided the fan base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/07/2022 at 19:32, Andrew_Owl said:

Top 200 at a push? I'm on about when he was inform, not how he was the other 40 games.

 

But then you would have to use the same "in form" baseline for every other player, so it would still put him way outside the top 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/07/2022 at 19:20, bradowl said:

One of our best players since Premier League days. 

Could be a bit inconsistent though and picked up a few injuries. 

Would he get in the starting 11 since Prem days? For me no, Brunt and Wallace out wide..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...