Ifs, buts and maybes, Jermaine Johnson

Nowhere near our top players. The fact youngsters consider it makes me feel for them.

I was at (I think) his debut at Luton. He got the ball from kick off, burned past about 5 of their players, looked like scoring a worldy…. Hit it out of the ground.

Summed him up. Nothing against him, I enjoyed watching him, but he’s not in my top players of my 35 years watching 

He would make the bench for our best team since 2000. But only as a wildcard on the bench if we were struggling.

Since 2000 you could probably have 2 best 11s that tactically work. He would only be a sub as plan B

A exciting plan B at that, but a poor man’s Antonio by a long way 

Edited by BowOwl

28 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Without his pace he would not even be semi professional at best, 

but he had pace  and had a good  long  career   ..........all tom lees could do was defend without that he wouldnt have made it ......all ron springett did was keep the ball out the net without that he'd have been  cack .... you play to your strengths  and JJs was pace .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Easy player to pick fault with, but I don’t think we’ve ever replaced him. 

Also think the “row z” thing is a bit overplayed as well. He was an erratic player at times, but his goal compilation stands up with anybody we’ve had at the club, maybe ever? Scored some absolute belters and played a big hand in helping us escape relegation dog fights on a couple of occasions, in sides where he was often the only player capable of providing a spark. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Easy player to pick fault with, but I don’t think we’ve ever replaced him. 

Also think the “row z” thing is a bit overplayed as well. He was an erratic player at times, but his goal compilation stands up with anybody we’ve had at the club, maybe ever? Scored some absolute belters and played a big hand in helping us escape relegation dog fights on a couple of occasions, in sides where he was often the only player capable of providing a spark. 

I would say Adam Reach has the best highlight reel of great goals.

• Like 1

When you think of Wednesday's history since dropping out of the Premier League. We've lacked a lot of players how can turn games on their head, create moments where you go "wow how did he do that?" Aside from that period under Carlos where we were consistently good at the top end of the Championship we've not seen many players who could do that kind of thing.

Jermaine Johnson was inconsistent, at his best he looked like a world beater, he could get people on the edge of their seats, if you watch his goals compilation he literally doesn't score a simple goal. A bit like Adam Reach, the outstanding was his ordinary. Sadly for JJ he couldn't do it week in week out other wise he'd never have left the Premier League.

I'll always remember him fondly, he was a fun player to watch in an average period for the club. He loved the fans, most of them quite liked him, United fans hated him which probably helped. It also probably helped he arrived when I was 11, my feelings might be different if I'd been 18 or so. You tend to like raw pace and erratic players when you're a bit younger.

• Like 1

As many on this thread have said, one of very few players this century who could make things happen out of nothing for us. Invariably was a catylyst for much of our attacking intent while he was here and when he struck the ball on target, it was invariably unstoppable. Only Antonio, Forestieri and Bannan come anywhere close to him in this regard this century.

16 hours ago, Owls2k said:

JJ was absolutely rubbish

I once told him to his face he was sh*t and I still think this post is rubbish.

For context, he had a particularly awful game against Coventry City in about 2009. 

Anyway, we are leaving Embrace (classy lot) and JJ and a few others (think Sodje was there) are wandering in. It's about 3am at this point.

Infuriated by having had to watch JJ smash the ball into Row Z earlier, I asked him if he was Jermaine Johnson. He said yes and I told him he was poo. I then followed this up with: "to clarify, I'm a Wednesday fan, and I still think you're poo." I think Sodje laughed and they went in.

Anyway, the lesson is don't go up to people and tell them that they're poo at their job. And JJ wasn't actually poo, he was just a bit hit and miss. 

42 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I once told him to his face he was sh*t and I still think this post is rubbish.

For context, he had a particularly awful game against Coventry City in about 2009. 

Anyway, we are leaving Embrace (classy lot) and JJ and a few others (think Sodje was there) are wandering in. It's about 3am at this point.

Infuriated by having had to watch JJ smash the ball into Row Z earlier, I asked him if he was Jermaine Johnson. He said yes and I told him he was poo. I then followed this up with: "to clarify, I'm a Wednesday fan, and I still think you're poo." I think Sodje laughed and they went in.

Anyway, the lesson is don't go up to people and tell them that they're poo at their job. And JJ wasn't actually poo, he was just a bit hit and miss. 

You are lucky he or some of his crowd didn’t chin you. I’m sure you would love it if some random bloke came upto you and said you were poo at your job.

2 hours ago, sexpistol said:

You are lucky he or some of his crowd didn’t chin you. I’m sure you would love it if some random bloke came upto you and said you were poo at your job.

Yeah, it was over 10-years ago and I sort of indicated that it wasn't my brightest/nicest move. 

Bit like reading your posts in the politics section.