I still think we are weaker than last season

We are way more savvy than last season. Would be nice to add a direct pacy option to our attacking ranks. People forget how poor this league really is, our squad is good enough to complete at the top, as long as we play defenders in defence not wingers or full backs we’ll be fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Think we've done alright but if we do get promoted (we won't under moore) 

We will need to rebuild again 

None of the signings are really championship standard signings 

We've signed good league 1 players 

This is the change from the team which did well in the Spring. Newcomers may prove to be up and coming but at first glance we are now  fishing at lower levels. Except the two Rotherham guys obviously who were very successful at our level and were going up one. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LoanRanger said:

Hutch - replaced with Ihiekwe (Team of the season)

Luongo - replaced with Vaulks (A better player)

Berahino - replaced with Smith (Goal machine)

Dunkley - replaced with Heneghan (Fitter)

NML - blew ridiculously hot and cold and will maybe be replaced by Wilks (Goal machine) 

BPF - replaced by Stockdale (Golden glove winner)

Shodipo - always inured

Gibson - always injured

Storey - (Iorfa is back)

Dean - (I've got nothing here, I want him back)

T John-Jules - played 9 mins

Plenty of time left, we are cruising.

From that list it seems like there are one or two downgrades (Dean - unless Heneghan seriously impresses; Storey - seeing as Iorfa doesn't seem capable of playing in a back 3; and possibly Vaulks for Luongo - as Massimo was right up there as one of our best players and will take a lot of replacing; BPF aside from his occasional lapses too).

But I'm hopeful the fragility at the back from set pieces will be addressed, and the squad will gel - along with a few loan signings coming in, hopefully we can be more than the sum of our parts.

I wouldn't be against trying to ship out a few players - Paterson, Sow, Brown, Iorfa, if this creates funds to bring in better too.

8 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

I always find a good tip is to actually see the players perform who we have brought in before writing them off 

Saves a lot of embarrassment later 

I've written off every player we've signed in the past two decades. 

Statistically I'm crushing it! 

• Haha 3

Guest FoxOwl12
10 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not that impressed with any of the signings apart from the lad from Cardiff.  We look static and one dimensional, no pace introduced or out and out skill.

The two lads signed over the last two days haven't impressed the fans of their last club especially the lad from Blackpool in fact they are delighted he's left.

We need to up the quality or a top six place looks very difficult.

Convince me I'm wrong please.  Getting worried.

Jesus H Christ. 

Guest FoxOwl12
Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Latest signing?  

Go and whinge and moan somewhere else ffs.

15 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Go and whinge and moan somewhere else ffs.

WOW You seem to forgotten what this site is about, to bring up relevant points about Sheffield Wednesday, I believe that I valid reasons for this thread and I have asked fans to convince me that I'm wrong.  Which they have in large numbers, the thread grew quickly with some taking a similar stance to mine whilst others have made good points about why they think I'm wrong.  That's what a fans forum is about.  

To just come back with a pitiful response as yours should maybe make you consider why you are on a fans forum. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Get a bit of pace in up top and I think we are stronger than last season.

If not, then I'd say we are pretty much as strong as we were last season.

Tbf, the team last season wasn't exactly far off was it and I'm not sure the division is quite as strong as last season. Some rivals have lost very good players. Derby a bit of an unknown quantity, though, on paper, they are recruiting pretty well.

Edited by SiJ

We are 8 days into July and the Premiership teams haven't even compiled their squads yet. The loan window of opportunity hasn't really come about yet. That's when you tend to get your flair players.

Lewis Gibson played 5 games last year and he's been replaced with Akin Famewo who played 40. Reece James is talented player at this level. He offers genuine competition to Johnson where Brown perhaps didn't. Blackpool started him in central midfield last season and he as a result fell down the pecking order. You've got to judge him from where he's played in this league and that was at full back/wing back of which he excelled (under our current manager).

I think recruitment so far has been incredibly measured and strategic. Whereas last year we were scrambling around for players we've addressed some of the weaknesses (height and strength against some of the weaker teams).

It's also worth noting Fisayo Dele-Bashiru & Dennis Adeniran have another year of experience and hopefully stay fit. To an extent Byers too who we didn't really see properly until the new year. Couple that with a 'hopefully' fully fit Windass and it's looking pretty good for me.

Early days but we've built a strong foundation. 

• Like 1

It's worth noting that the likes of Storey and Dean were brought in as a result of a massive injury crisis. If we don't have those injuries this year then that wouldn't be required. If we do have injuries then we can do the same again so it's not as clear cut as saying we need to replace Dean (who was injured for a lot of his time here anyhow).

The squad will always evolve also. You build a team capable in August however if an absolute blockbuster signing comes available in January or you need a little more to get over the line then you can do that then. 

I feel like we are more 'solid' than last year we just need a couple of flair players to give us that option should we need it in games. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not that impressed with any of the signings apart from the lad from Cardiff.  We look static and one dimensional, no pace introduced or out and out skill.

The two lads signed over the last two days haven't impressed the fans of their last club especially the lad from Blackpool in fact they are delighted he's left.

We need to up the quality or a top six place looks very difficult.

Convince me I'm wrong please.  Getting worried.

I read the post and am not surprised at all who wrote it.

I look at Smith being Kamberi’s replacement rather than Berahino’s.

I know what some are saying about Berahino still being a free agent but despite an indifferent start here, he almost hit double figures and dove tailed well with Gregory. I think he’ll be difficult to replace.

12 hours ago, bradowl said:

I think Michael Smith will prove to be a terrific signing, had we had him last season we would have gone up automatically. 

He’d have been injured for 5 months though😜

I think we are stronger than last year. Talking about individual players is fine, but winning teams are just that - a team 1+1=3. Our blend looks better. Our fitness and strength looks better. I do believe we will sign a couple more attackers, Wilks being an obvious one.

I already believe this side can win the league and I think we will.