I still think we are weaker than last season

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Cheers for coming back , you make a good point but I do the think we are lacking pace 

Definitely agree with you there and hopefully that’s where Wilks comes in.

For me we need one more CB. Plus a forward with pace which means the opposition defence sits deeper and therefore gives the likes of Bannan more room to pull the strings.

I also have a slight worry about creativity if Bannan is out for any length of time. Anderson from Newcastle is an ideal shout but he’ll be in demand.

56 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

I always find a good tip is to actually see the players perform who we have brought in before writing them off 

Saves a lot of embarrassment later 

My thoughts exactly. Wise words.

• Like 1

Big difference between now and last year is we have a defined way of playing and have the players for the system 

As others have said we’ve added 20 goals up front instead of Kamberi and Berahino. At the back we’ve brought in the golden gloves winner and a centre half from team of the year

I can’t see how we are any weaker

Compare us with MK who are seriously weaker than last season 

• Like 1

I think we've made signings of proven league one players.

One slight concern is, if DM wants to continue to play out from the back, are the defenders we have signed comfortable on the ball?

The other is, if Vaulks is out for a while or gets any further injury, have we got some one who can play the dm role, break up the play and allow Bannan to play further forward.

I’m reasonably pleased with the signings IF they’re bought to fit a plan. When we sign players that might be for the sake of buying them, I worry slightly.

All this talk of buying to enable flexibility worries me a bit: not sure DM can do that, nor if it’s necessary in league 1 (aside from small sections of an individual match). 

7 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Big difference between now and last year is we have a defined way of playing and have the players for the system 

As others have said we’ve added 20 goals up front instead of Kamberi and Berahino. At the back we’ve brought in the golden gloves winner and a centre half from team of the year

I can’t see how we are any weaker

Compare us with MK who are seriously weaker than last season 

Which is?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Did people watch last season with their eyes shut?

Out wide is not a problem, Jack Hunt and Marvin Johnson are the 2 best fullbacks in this division.
We certainly didn't lack creativity  - We have Bannan and Byers pulling strings in the middle and Hunt/Johnson out wide with finally someone to aim for with crosses in Smith.

The problem out wide was we had no competition or backup ( Signing James has fixed that at LWB and i think Palmer now is the back up RWB)

GK - Stockdale & Dawson, 3rd choice will be either one of the young lads or a new squad filler.
RWB - Jack Hunt & Palmer (Patterson can play RWB)
CB - Ihiekwe Iorfa Famewo Heneghan (Palmer can slot in if needed)
LWB Johnson, James and Brown

CM - Vaulks Bannan FDB Byers Adeniran  Alex Hunt (Patterson can slot in as well if needed)

ST - Gregory Smith Paterson Windass Sow

I'd say we are looking very strong and i think we are stronger than last year, a few more signings and i think we will be sorted, teams in this division would die for our squad depth currently.
Possibly see another RWB in however we do have cover in Palmer and Patto at a push, i think we see another CB come in maybe a CM and the strikers if playing with a 2 we will need another and bin Sow off.

For this stage of pre season i think our squad looks healthy a few more additions and i think it's been a tremendous summer with top recruitment.

Question for you 

if Johnson and Hunt get injured or suspended or have to miss a large number of games 

what do we do?

Still work to do and I'll reserve judgement until the end of the window, but I think we are looking stronger. 

My rationale for that is that we seem to have a more balanced squad and recruited to the system we intend to use.

Guest Whittonowl

Answer to your title for this post. 
OK.  It’s not going to be a tea party this season. 
But leave the bags in longer. 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Think we've done alright but if we do get promoted (we won't under moore) 

We will need to rebuild again 

Surely that is the priority of any club that gets promoted from any league? 
it would be incredibly naive to think a promotion squad is going to be good enough to compete in a higher league without changes 

2 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Static and one dimensional I don’t quite get you there,  Dele Bashiru is definitely not static ,  we’ve got good options across the midfield , Byers I think can have a strong season alongside Bannan and Vaulks there’s potential for a great midfield three 

Johnson and Hunt are also definitely not static, great outlets for us 

However, Im slightly concerned we need a few different options in the final third 

Our midfield is decent championship quality.

People will be scared us of this season and a lot of teams will park the bus. Smith is an excellent signing in that regard, gives us an option.

Then there's extra subs this season. I don't mind us having a solid and experienced starting 11. I want to see us sign a couple of younger prospects and/or loans to change a game from the bench if we start badly or need to try something different

21 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Question for you 

if Johnson and Hunt get injured or suspended or have to miss a large number of games 

what do we do?

Could say that about any important players getting injured, you cross that bridge if and when it happens , yes we need strength in depth but we can’t just go out signing 10-15 players , we need the best quality additions we can find within whatever budget we’re playing with , there will be a few risks taken and we will have to rely on perhaps likes of Ryan Galvin for cover 

So far, I feel the business has been good 

Good grief lads just listen to yourselves!

It's not so long ago when signing three players during the close season would have been considered the norm. Now you're all in a panic because we haven't got enough in despite signing six new players in a matter of three weeks!

No wonder the game is killing itself!

• Like 1