"You've joined Sheffield Wednesday for the money"

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

If both clubs had offered the same money, it would still be the smart move to come to Wednesday. Playing out a relegation battle in front of 9,000 fans or playing for a team going for promotion in front of 22k?

When you end your career you want to be remembered. Have made a few people happy and experienced a buzz. He's achieved all he'll ever achieve at Rotherham and this was his last big contract with a chance to play for a big club.

Just ask Lee Gregory if he regrets turning down that offer from Derby last year and I suspect you'll get a similar answer.

👍 This

It’s what most of us would do if given the chance.

I did similar at both ends of my working life. First as an eighteen year old part way through an apprenticeship. A chance to double my meagre earnings by joining a different company. Never regretted it, especially when I bought my first (very much 2nd hand) car a few weeks later.

Then when I was 60 and in a secure job and with only a few years left to work. (Similar to a footballer in some ways). An opportunity to use years of knowledge and experience with a competitor for a substantial pay rise. No second thoughts I jumped at the chance.

How else was I going to afford those expensive North Stand season tickets in retirement.

I remember years ago when Sol Campbell went from Tottenham to Arsenal. He basically said something like "Yes its about the money - I have a family to look after and for all I know could break my leg in the next match and never play again" . You can't blame a player for doing the best for his future regardless of how upset previous club fans get. It's a job after all not a vocation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, room0035 said:

Rotherham last 6 seasons, relegation, promotion, relegation, promotion, relegation, promotion.

what do we all think will happen next season.

Tony Stewart talks a good game but when push comes to shove there is little or no investment to try and stay up. They will start well, then peter off once they have a few injuries, then we will pass them on the way back to the championship.

They are a well run club, where as we?.

We have just paid of our Gambling bill, for what?.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Fact of life most people will follow the money, fill the retirement pot as best as possible, we all would. 

Theres also the thought and no disrespect to Warne or Rotherham, but we're a bigger older club with more potential to grow if the foundation and direction is solid, where as Rotherham tend to yo-yo between champ and division one every couple of years. 

They'll probably do well next season, then lose all there better players and get relagated again the season after, it just tends to be how it goes. Where as you'd like to think we'll go up this year snd consolidate and push on progressing back up the table over the next few years helped by our bigger fanbase and probably investment if Dc has learned his lessons. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luke said:

But I thought they was signing because of Darren Moore 🤣

A few of our current players have said that.

It may have been a factor but we have been paying more than other clubs at our level since relegation and losing the big earners and that has been the main reason.

No doubt Mendez Laing and Longuo enjoyed playing for DM, and loved being at our club, but not enough. These two are doing to us pretty much the same.

The role of agents will be involved too. They like players changing clubs as they get a slice of the transaction. 

However, what makes the two from Rotherham distinctive is that they have turned down the chance to play in the Championship, one level up, in better football, for relatively little extra money after tax, no doubt urged to do so by their agents , after building a relationship with club, manager and fans but on a fragile basis. Our club  has raided a neighbour for two not one. We supporters are a little bit conned by players today flaunting their club shirt with the money in the game and ordinary players possibly becoming rich. 

Clubs are willing to look for good players at the end of their contracts and offer a bit extra to leave and you can forget “building a team”  without losing key bits. . Longuo was an important part of allowing Bannan to play but we now have to rely on Vaulks , unwanted at Cardiff.  
If the Rotherham chairman thought so much of his players, he should have realised he had to fight off the predators by paying more. Suspect his emotions took over. 

We’d be fuming if we were in their shoes. If a key player went from here to United and we had sorted them out it would hurt or you’d have hoped for a transfer fee as compensation. The issue being Rotherham stick to a certain budget and are not the same proposition.

What is amusing is that if Smith had gone to the blades or Sunderland I bet they’d wish him well 🤣

• Like 1

We'd all move jobs for more money. That's the whole point in working. Earn what you can, while you can. Footballers are mostly transient. There are very few these days who stay at the same club for long periods.

However most people don't tend to move around the country, or the world, for their jobs. I've done it as a single bloke, and it's not easy and takes time to settle. I've now got a 2 year old and it must be a nightmare to uproot them from their routines and environments and start again somewhere. And that's without having a partner who is 4+ months pregnant.

I don't blame him for moving to us. I'm sure it's not just about the money, but that does play a big part in it. If he is putting his family first, then kudos to him, because that's what a dad (and a mum) must do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTLiam said:

They have joined for the money. Why else would he have come? 😂

Would (or did) you pick your job and employer ONLY for the money? Or did you consider other aspects as well?

Based on just the money, are you sure that you made the right decision? Maybe you would earn more in another city or country? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Would (or did) you pick your job and employer ONLY for the money? Or did you consider other aspects as well?

Based on just the money, are you sure that you made the right decision? Maybe you would earn more in another city or country? 

I've done plenty of jobs just for the money, yes. Here and abroad.

3 minutes ago, PTLiam said:

I've done plenty of jobs just for the money, yes. Here and abroad.

And did you really always just go for the one, where you got the most money?

For me the money is always a consideration, but family, location, employer reputation, job description, etc.. are important factors as well.

I really can't believe that footballers don't care for other things than money  (e.g. promotion vs. relegation, working environment, family preference, location, etc etc)

24 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

For me the money is always a consideration, but family, location, employer reputation, job description, etc.. are important factors as well.

I really can't believe that footballers don't care for other things than money  (e.g. promotion vs. relegation, working environment, family preference, location, etc etc)

When I worked abroad it was money I couldn't refuse. I didn't see my little girl for a long time.  

28 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

At the end of the day mate when someone doubles your wage. you go. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you know this stuff?  Where did you get this £10,000 a month from?  That's £120,000 extra a year.  

Four different posters in this thread alone have posted four different figures of the increase in weekly wage Smith has moved to us for ...... All four of them are convinced they're correct because of the validity of their ITK source.

We all like to think we're ITK ......... Very few are!

• Like 3