"You've joined Sheffield Wednesday for the money"

Of course he moved for the money.

Every job I've left is because I wanted more money.

I'm in it for the money,  for a better life I and my family will lead.

He's 30 too, probably his last shot a good wage as a footballer.

Just stupid when people say this, absolute hypocrisy of the highest order.

Did anyone ask him about his delivery he made to the Rotherham ground last week lol

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Was talking to a fairly reasonable Rotherham fan this weekend. Says if we want to get good use out of Smith we have to build around him and get good quality, early crosses in from wide. If we play through the middle, or too patiently, or leave him isolated then it’s not going to work.

thats a good point . last season smith and ihiekwe were outstanding but they played with different players in a different system , look at some of the players we had in recent times what did so well in there previous clubs but bombed here rhodes, winnall both were scoring for fun but once here did nothing . we need to get the ball forward quicker and we musts sign 2 attacking wide players with pace and can put a decent ball in the box if we can do that and get in another quality centre back i think top 2 is very possible . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brando said:

We offered him a grand a week more.52,000 over a season..and an added year on his contract..course hes gonna take it..no loyalty in football..all about the cash.. we would all do it..

10 grand a  month more 2 year contract with a year extra optional chance to play in front of big crowds and win promotion. Or stay at Rotherham  ? . Even the chuckle brothers would have gone for us. 

37 minutes ago, WalworthOwl said:

Professional footballer makes a decision based on money? The clue is in the word “Professional”.

I'm not sure how this works. If we get early crosses in then he must be pretty isolated, because others won't have joined him;

I think he meant he needs a strike partner, and must get midfielders up with him pretty sharp.

There were occasions early last season when we had a lone striker isolated when playing 4-3-3. Which was more the fault of the wide forwards or their instructions, but made the striker look lacking.

If someone offered you a job, in the same area as you work now, but offered you more money to do exactly the same job, you'd take it, I'd take it, just about anybody would take it.

That's all they've done. 

The fact Rotherham have just been promoted, and we haven't, but they still came to us makes it funny, but they're in a job that lasts a lot of years less than most other jobs. Cash in lad, anybody else would do the same.

• Like 1

It is quite understandable to go for a better paid job doing the same thing  without disturbing the family.  Quite a rational business decision.

However football is an emotional affair. Players are supposed to be a little bit attached to their clubs.

It is a harsh reminder that players show off wearing their new shirt but they do not really care who they play for. Supporters grow fond of their best players and get reminded that staying at the club is all about money. 

Our club has prised away not one but two players from our neighbours who are smaller than us but who have performed better than us and we want the two guys to come and do for us what he has done for them. Personally, I think it’s a bit much to rely on two Rotherham players to leave them and come and make us as good as them. It does not look good. 

The man really to blame for allowing mercenary elements to prevail? The Rotherham chairman who ought to have found the money to keep them and allow them to receive their market value at Rotherham. I am not impressed by the two replacements they have signed. They will be lucky to stay up.

• Like 1

Finance will be the main reason. But I guess when you look back on your career if you have the chance to have a bigger club name on your cv there is also an incentive compared to say Northampton, Swindon, Bury and Rotherham. Just hope he does the business as he’s put a bit of pressure on himself with the move. He’s good enough though we’ve seen that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victorturner said:

The man really to blame for allowing mercenary elements to prevail? The Rotherham chairman who ought to have found the money to keep them and allow them to receive their market value at Rotherham. I am not impressed by the two replacements they have signed. They will be lucky to stay up.

He didnt need to find it, there is £5-6m in tv money, he just chooses not to invest it in his club and staying up.

Like most I like and respect Warne but their Chairman leaves a lot to be desired.

4 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

A clue... Professional footballers, off course they are in for it for the money ultimately it's what they have sacrificed themselves for to earn a bob or two in job most of them love.

If they can pick up medals etc along the way then all the better but they will be a long time retired and families don't come cheap.  He played out his contract with Rotherham and he doesn't owe them a thing nor do they owe him anything.

Quite sensibly he looked at all the offers he received and made the logical choice as would 99% of us.  

That's the life of professional footballer.

100% agree , what a common sense statement. Footballers should do the best for themselves and their families. I don’t care about loyalty or expect any. As long as they show the right attitude and do what they’re paid to do while they’re here that’s it for me. 

• Like 2

If both clubs had offered the same money, it would still be the smart move to come to Wednesday. Playing out a relegation battle in front of 9,000 fans or playing for a team going for promotion in front of 22k?

When you end your career you want to be remembered. Have made a few people happy and experienced a buzz. He's achieved all he'll ever achieve at Rotherham and this was his last big contract with a chance to play for a big club.

Just ask Lee Gregory if he regrets turning down that offer from Derby last year and I suspect you'll get a similar answer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sage owl said:

10 grand a  month more 2 year contract with a year extra optional chance to play in front of big crowds and win promotion. Or stay at Rotherham  ? . Even the chuckle brothers would have gone for us. 

How do you know this stuff?  Where did you get this £10,000 a month from?  That's £120,000 extra a year.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, horny owl said:

We offered him £500 more a week than he was on a Rotherham 

I’d take it too

If that’s true I’m amazed, it isn’t a huge amount of money in the scheme of things and would suggest he didn’t move for the money.

• Like 1