"You've joined Sheffield Wednesday for the money"

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

A clue... Professional footballers, off course they are in for it for the money ultimately it's what they have sacrificed themselves for to earn a bob or two in job most of them love.

If they can pick up medals etc along the way then all the better but they will be a long time retired and families don't come cheap.  He played out his contract with Rotherham and he doesn't owe them a thing nor do they owe him anything.

Quite sensibly he looked at all the offers he received and made the logical choice as would 99% of us.  

That's the life of professional footballer.

If not 100% of us. Spoke well, didn’t get into the emotional stuff. Good luck to him, hope he has a blinder here. I do feel a bit sorry for Paul Warne.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Chance to get into the Championship and possibly have a chance to earn promotion to the Prem before his career is done.  A faint chance only but at Rotherham he knows it'd likely be relegation and L1 again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Rotherham last 6 seasons, relegation, promotion, relegation, promotion, relegation, promotion.

what do we all think will happen next season.

Tony Stewart talks a good game but when push comes to shove there is little or no investment to try and stay up. They will start well, then peter off once they have a few injuries, then we will pass them on the way back to the championship.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Being able to get more money without having relocate his family (made more important by the fact his wife is pregnant) and play in front of bigger crowds and probably be the first name on the team sheet. Sounds like the kind of decision it’s not that hard to make….

This is how I’ve always seen it too. 

And if similar happens to us then we (our fans) need to take have the same view (I doubt it’ll happen like that though). 

Side note… If you were to compare this scenario to the abomination of someone like Neymar getting £700k a week then I think football has bigger issues. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Was talking to a fairly reasonable Rotherham fan this weekend. Says if we want to get good use out of Smith we have to build around him and get good quality, early crosses in from wide. If we play through the middle, or too patiently, or leave him isolated then it’s not going to work.

Clever these Rotherham fans

• Haha 5

Professional footballer makes a decision based on money? The clue is in the word “Professional”.

16 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Says if we want to get good use out of Smith we have to build around him and get good quality, early crosses in from wide. If we play through the middle, or too patiently, or leave him isolated then it’s not going to work.

I'm not sure how this works. If we get early crosses in then he must be pretty isolated, because others won't have joined him; if they go forward before there's a crossing position there's a risk of a turnover and a counterattack. We have a great midfield and we should use them.

I think Smith will thrive if we play like last year, where Johnson and Hunt hit great crosses from deep if they could see a good position in the box and at other times we worked the ball through midfield. We need options!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, horny owl said:

We offered him £500 more a week than he was on a Rotherham 

I’d take it too

We offered him a grand a week more.52,000 over a season..and an added year on his contract..course hes gonna take it..no loyalty in football..all about the cash.. we would all do it..

• Like 1
  • Love 1