Ronaldo Wanting To Leave Man U

He just brings too much baggage and he's 37...

Whilst I think it's pretty unfair to blame him for Man U's decline, I don't think it's a particularly good look for him that he's desperate to leave after one season back. A two year contact, getting paid 500k a week and that's how he reacts. 

• Like 1

Atletico Madrid have contacted Cristiano Ronaldo's representatives over signing the Portugal forward, 37, from Manchester United. (AS - in Spanish)

New Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says Ronaldo could stay at Old Trafford beyond the year he has left on his contract. (Guardian)

Atletico Madrid have stepped up their pursuit to sign Manchester United and Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 37, by placing France striker Antoine Griezmann, 31, on the transfer market. (Times - subscription required)

United will let Ronaldo leave on loan this summer as long as he triggers a one-year option to extend his contract so he can return to Old Trafford for the following season. (Mirror)

Still wants to leave according to reports following his return to Manchester and talks with the club.

A lot of reports are suggesting the motivation behind the move it to play in the Champions League and further his record and stop Messi catching him.

Also he is 4 goals behind Messi in Group Stage goals which is also a factor (According to reports again).

What a sad state of affairs football is becoming. 

This Champions League demand just seems silly to me.

Is he going to rock up at Celtic Park just because they're in it? What if Bodoe/Glimt qualify?

Realistically the CL is going to be won by Liverpool, PSG, City, either of the Madrid teams or Bayern. Is anybody else even in the conversation to get beyond the quarters? There has been the faintest talk of Atletico and Bayern don't seem interested. He's not going to any of the others.

What's the point?

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

This Champions League demand just seems silly to me.

Is he going to rock up at Celtic Park just because they're in it? What if Bodoe/Glimt qualify?

Realistically the CL is going to be won by Liverpool, PSG, City, either of the Madrid teams or Bayern. Is anybody else even in the conversation to get beyond the quarters? There has been the faintest talk of Atletico and Bayern don't seem interested. He's not going to any of the others.

What's the point?

It will be because he wants to maintain his lead over Messi as the all time CL Top Scorer. He is 15 goals ahead and realistically he needs to be playing and scoring this season if he wants to maintain that

Just goes to shoe where his loyalties actually lay. 

Phenomenal talent and, he’s worked his arse off to get to the level he’s at and, have the longevity he’s shown.

One incredibly self centred individual though. The top clubs (ones with realistic chances of progression to the latter stages of the CL) have no interest in him. His only options as I see it are the likes of Inter, AC, Sporting or Dortmund. 

This whole fiasco provides an insight into what was happening last year. Yes he scored goals but, he was largely a passenger for most games. I dread to think what it was like behind the scenes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

It will be because he wants to maintain his lead over Messi as the all time CL Top Scorer. He is 15 goals ahead and realistically he needs to be playing and scoring this season if he wants to maintain that

Which is undoubtedly the right answer but.. jesus, really?

That creates a weird disconnect between what he wants his career to look like and reality, though. I'd love it if he went to a much smaller club (by CL terms) as I love that type of stuff in football. I mean Sporting are in it this year, he could complete a couple of chapters of his career by going back there. But is he going to? Is he prepared to lower his wages and demands to the point that it makes sense for clubs to bring him in? At some point he's going to have to, right? He's running out of options at the end of the game he thinks he should still be playing at. 

19 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Which is undoubtedly the right answer but.. jesus, really?

That creates a weird disconnect between what he wants his career to look like and reality, though. I'd love it if he went to a much smaller club (by CL terms) as I love that type of stuff in football. I mean Sporting are in it this year, he could complete a couple of chapters of his career by going back there. But is he going to? Is he prepared to lower his wages and demands to the point that it makes sense for clubs to bring him in? At some point he's going to have to, right? He's running out of options at the end of the game he thinks he should still be playing at. 

Aye I’ve lost a bit of respect for him because of it to be honest. It’s so incredibly transparent. And like you say he is running out of options 

Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 37, has urged Manchester United to set a transfer fee so he can accept an offer tabled by another club. (Sun)

Ronaldo's representatives have held talks with Sporting Lisbon, his first professional club. (Athletic - subscription required)

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Aye I’ve lost a bit of respect for him because of it to be honest. It’s so incredibly transparent. And like you say he is running out of options 

The guy wants to leave a legacy, you can't blame him for that. He was sold a dream by the backroom team at Man Utd and they've not delivered and dont look like they'll compete for 4th spot this season either. It happens every year the other way round, clubs moving players on because they want to do better and the player is no longer good enough. This is Ronaldo doing the same, the club isn't good enough to match his ambitions. he's never been any different, which is why he's been so good for so many years.

27 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 37, has urged Manchester United to set a transfer fee so he can accept an offer tabled by another club. (Sun)

Ronaldo's representatives have held talks with Sporting Lisbon, his first professional club. (Athletic - subscription required)

I hope he heads back to Sporting, would love to go to a game there where he's lining up for them. Full circle and sign off at the club that put him in the shop window. 

29 minutes ago, 0742 said:

The guy wants to leave a legacy, you can't blame him for that. He was sold a dream by the backroom team at Man Utd and they've not delivered and dont look like they'll compete for 4th spot this season either. It happens every year the other way round, clubs moving players on because they want to do better and the player is no longer good enough. This is Ronaldo doing the same, the club isn't good enough to match his ambitions. he's never been any different, which is why he's been so good for so many years.

Do have some sympathy with him for the way it's gone at United. They've been a disgrace to be honest and I still firmly believe he isn't the problem there. 

But for both his and the clubs sake, it's time to go. Just cut the bad marriage short. He doesn't want to be there and United's pre-season looks like they're better off without - he's even managed to get a tune out of Martial of all people already. 

I also hope he goes to Sporting.

On 04/07/2022 at 12:57, Skyline said:

If I was them I'd be shipping him off to who ever is willing to buy him and pay his £500k a week wages.

Yes he's good, yes he scores goals but that club is in a complete mess and needs a complete overhaul. That won't happen as long as you have players at the club who think they're bigger than the club, manager and other players. 

They've shipped on out in Pogba, time to get the other one out. 

As brilliant as he has been, he statistically made Juventus and now Manchester United a worse team. 

I think no matter how many goals are scored by one player, if that doesn't translate to team success then it's not relevant. 

Apparently that's a worry with Haaland next season at city..he may bag 30 goals as a flat track bully, but does he have the craft and game intelligence to make a difference in the very tight games which will decide titles and champions leagues. 

Ronaldo had the lowest pressing stats for any player across the top 5 leagues.

He is focused and has banged the goals in for years but at the expense of others. You see his body langauge where he feels it should be passed to him every time. Its individual glory over team glory. As for that Sii thing lets not even go there.

He clearly isnt happy at United and needs out plus their commercial department made money.

But at this rate he will end up stuck at United.

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

As brilliant as he has been, he statistically made Juventus and now Manchester United a worse team. 

I think no matter how many goals are scored by one player, if that doesn't translate to team success then it's not relevant. 

Apparently that's a worry with Haaland next season at city..he may bag 30 goals as a flat track bully, but does he have the craft and game intelligence to make a difference in the very tight games which will decide titles and champions leagues. 

The good thing with Haaland is he's still very young and although has done well at his two clubs so far, he's still got a lot to proove. Therefore I'm sure he's "trainable" in terms of getting him to work well in that City team.

Unlike players like Ronaldo who are seasoned pro's and feel they are bigger than the club no matter who's in charge.