14 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Back in the 1980's once went in there with a mate who lived on Cross at the time. Within five minutes two birds started fighting and one coshed the other round the head with a bar stool, and that was it, the lot kicked off. Must have been a good 20 person brawl, glasses being thrown, chairs, the lot. We left our pints and hot out before the plod turned up. 

Never been in since. 

I wouldn't have left mi pint thats sacrilege 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, prowl said:

I knew the 'Ball' and the Greyhound really well in the 70's/80's, there was rarely any trouble that I saw, certainly no more than anywhere else.  Ecclesfield was local to me until 87.

The ball was a great pub for young people at that time ,it's where the original Wino Express started. The Greyhound is where your parents went. 

I managed to pull the barmaid in the Greyhound in 1982  we're still married somehow  !.

1 hour ago, sage owl said:

The ball was a great pub for young people at that time ,it's where the original Wino Express started. The Greyhound is where your parents went. 

I managed to pull the barmaid in the Greyhound in 1982  we're still married somehow  !.

Nice one.

The Greyhound was good for a drink in summer, the garden was good.  As you say the Ball was a younger pub. I was 20 in 75 so I was in the Ball a lot. If we weren't down town we were in Ecclesfield.

5 hours ago, prowl said:

Nice one.

The Greyhound was good for a drink in summer, the garden was good.  As you say the Ball was a younger pub. I was 20 in 75 so I was in the Ball a lot. If we weren't down town we were in Ecclesfield.

Ecclesfield square used to be the business. Stocks, Griffin and White Bear. Fishcake (we used to know him as “Mad John” or just “John”) doing his football commentaries. Chat up some lass. Pop round to Marishell’s for a chip butty. Brilliant. 

• Like 2

Guest hirstysfags
On 03/07/2022 at 01:24, S36 OWL said:

. Magnet was brutal mate. 

That was my dad's old stomping ground. He told me lots of stories about it!

On 03/07/2022 at 01:58, legendaryswan said:

Once met a mate in the magnet after work for a couple of shandys and went out a sidedoor for a fag to see two ten year olds run off carrying the fag machine up southey hill.

Went in a week later and two gypsies were having a tear up, went out the front door for a fag and four riot vans and 3 cop cars were there, dogs and armed plod and we got pushed back inside to a full scale tear up with stools windows and anything you could name getting trashed.

Went back a month later and two girls about 12 years old were selling BJs for a packet of fags while their Mum was munching chips sat on the wall sticking the fags in a tesco carrier bag.

2 weeks after it was shut, opened briefly and then it never opened again

Love how you kept going back... Brilliant....

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
12 hours ago, shandypants said:

Ecclesfield square used to be the business. Stocks, Griffin and White Bear. Fishcake (we used to know him as “Mad John” or just “John”) doing his football commentaries. Chat up some lass. Pop round to Marishell’s for a chip butty. Brilliant. 

Ecclesfield square was great. When I was an apprentice drinker in the late 80's used to go there to get served on a Friday despite only looking about 4. In the mid 90's used to go down on Sunday back when I could drink and still get up in the morning. Met my wife down Ecco, but I have lots of good memories as well.

On 03/07/2022 at 15:11, Hodgyowl said:

Blue ball used to be a cracking pub few pints in there Fri night then off for a pub crawl  in to town finishng in the Stonehouse the romeo and juliets very happy days. 

I used to work a couple of nights a week the in Blue Ball at Hillsborough Corner in the 80's .. student days .. fun times.

• Like 1