Wildsmith joins Derby

6 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wednesday fans never seem to get behind their young players. Never have. Probably goes some way in  explaining why anyone half good leaves when they get the chance and those who do breakthrough never quite make it here. 

In recent years Palmer, Dawson, Wildsmith all had pelters from the fans. Probably unjustified when you take a step back. No one has ever got behind them and supported them.

Shaw, Hirst, Urhoghide etc are all judas when they go onto new pastures.

Alex Hunt is the next target it seems on here. 

Just a weird mentality as a fanbase. 

All of those names have one thing in common with each other. When they came through they weren’t anywhere close to Championship standard players.

As a club our absolute minimum ambition is mid table championship, and we should be aiming for a division higher than that.

Therefore it’s pointless producing players that aren’t going to help you achieve those goals. Palmer became a mid table championship standard right back (and certainly no more than that) but only after about 8 seasons of abject mediocrity. Hirst could also follow that trajectory but he hasn’t achieved it yet. The rest are lower league plodders who just aren’t good enough. 

Its got nothing to do with Wednesday fans if they don’t have the quality, mentality, work ethic etc to make it at the required level. They need to look at themselves and achieve or expect to be moved on. That’s how it is in any competitive field.

19 minutes ago, kopman9 said:

Good luck to him but to be honest its no great loss for us, I was surprised he was even offered a new deal to stay.

Surprised too as we were always going to look for another keeper. Guess a back up if we didn’t land a replacement. Good luck to him just not in the 2 games vs us!

• Like 1

He was nowhere near good enough and anyone suggestion otherwise is on crack. 

Who knows, perhaps it will all click for him at Derby but it's about time he moved on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He was nowhere near good enough and anyone suggestion otherwise is on crack. 

Who knows, perhaps it will all click for him at Derby but it's about time he moved on. 

I think the same applies to Dawson as well tbh. Fingers crossed if he's staying that season at Exeter's done him some good 'cos if he starts off like he did before he went out on loan he's gonna get dog's abuse pretty quickly I reckon. 

• Like 2

Guest Andy W
On 02/07/2022 at 19:21, SallyCinnamon said:

Good luck to him. Needs first team football. Wonder if he’ll be their number 1. 

Hope so cos we will have a nailed on 6 points

Wildsmith never had a sustained run in the team. Was always playing second fiddle here. 

To be honest I don’t have a clue if he’s any good or not. And I’m surprised people have come to that conclusion based on the odd game here and there. 

To me he was always just steady. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Asio otus said:

We certainly got behind our young players in the 70s, its today's young supporters they have no patience 😃

not sure about that .......mel sterland copped some when he started as did bob bolder so much so that big jack had to leave him out for a while . 

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

not sure about that .......mel sterland copped some when he started as did bob bolder so much so that big jack had to leave him out for a while . 

To be fair, Sterland was not a striker when he got a lot of that abuse.

Just now, DaveClark said:

To be fair, Sterland was not a striker when he got a lot of that abuse.

he was a midfielder and copped loads in his first few games  in the late70s  .........he then switched to full back and i own up to saying he' ll never be full back while he's got a hole in his arse .... .....i got that wrong as he gets the spot in my best 11 seen 

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

he was a midfielder and copped loads in his first few games  in the late70s  .........he then switched to full back and i own up to saying he' ll never be full back while he's got a hole in his arse .... .....i got that wrong as he gets the spot in my best 11 seen 

...whilst he's possesed of an anus

lol

17 minutes ago, vulva said:

He played once 7 years ago. It’s like me applying to Microsoft and putting 3rd in the Egg and Spoon on my CV. 

I thought the IAAF has stripped you of the bronze medal, due to that doping scandal?

You should have known Haribo Tangfastics were a banned substance in under 11's events, and using the excuse of "my mum bought them for me" was never going to get you off the hook.