2002 League Cup run

2 minutes ago, Sambo89 said:

The Watford game (if I'm getting my memories right) had one of the greatest tannoy announcements ever.

"Will the people on the kop, doing the conga, please return to their seats". 

I just came to post the same thing! 

The song about Terry Yorath and his magic hat.

• Love 1

Wasn't the Bury game before the season actually started?

Sunderland game was day after 9/11 and had wonder goals from DiPiedi and Bonvin.

Villa away was amazing, we took thousands and thousands.

Can remember a 39 year old Mark Hughes lining up in midfield for Blackburn, that seemed like an age - now I am 43.

Great memories, went to every game.

Some unbelievable goals in that run. Hamshaw's and Di Piedi's the best two goals I've seen live. 

Great night at Villa, remember being terrified every time Ginola got the ball when he came on, what a player. 

Also remember Blackburn rocking up with new signing Andy Cole, I was really annoyed they'd got him before we played them. 

Blackburn away was a really bad tempered away end, didn't enjoy that night. Great run up until then though. 

Edited by Whitechapel Owl

That Watford game was mad, we could barely win a throw in in the League, but we turned into Barcelona that night.

Congas on the Kop, Hamshaw with what is still the best goal I've ever witnessed in person. Brilliant night.

I remember being really deflated after the Blackburn home leg, like we'd let ourselves down, bit dramatic of my 10 year old self. Cracking programme cover if I remember correctly.

Side note, my brother went to Villa Park, I wasn't allowed. We've won there in 3 out of our last 4 visits, guess which one I did go to :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

Went to the away game at Villa with very little expectation of winning but we played well and whilst we rode our luck at times a Villa mate of mine that was at the game had no complaints at our win. Ekoku was excellent that day.

3 hours ago, Tank_owl said:

Went to the away game at Villa with very little expectation of winning but we played well and whilst we rode our luck at times a Villa mate of mine that was at the game had no complaints at our win. Ekoku was excellent that day.

Was an excellent result for us. I think villa were top of the league at the time or thereabouts anyway.

Weirdly my strongest memories are not from the games I attended, but bits I saw on TV.

Firstly the highlights programme for whatever round we played Villa. Gabby Logan blatantly showing bias to us when presenting saying something like:

"Next up a brilliant win for Sheffield Wednesday. We it was only 1-0, but Dad was pleased!"

For some reason that always stuck in my head. It is rare you see that sort of tongue in cheek favouritism.

Also the away leg of the semi vs Blackburn. Struggling to find a pub with it on whilst at Uni in Lincoln. Ended up in the Turks Head on Newport.

Turned out it was a Leeds supporters club and it was made clear we weren't particularly welcome. Still stayed to watch it though.

• Like 1