Mendez Laing

4 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Mendez-Laing was quoted why he joined Derby and 'snubbed' us:
"I didn’t want to be part of something where they, as a club, aren’t playing for much or I’m just there to take part. I want to be part of the journey this club is about to go on."

Seriously? Doesn't think we're playing for much? If this is a true quote from him about us then he's gone down in my estimation.
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/nathaniel-mendezlaing-sheffield-wednesday-derby-24389672

Lol. So goes to a team with no manager. That needs a complete rebuild. What a doughnut

5 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

"I didn’t want to be part of something where they, as a club, aren’t playing for much or I’m just there to take part. I want to be part of the journey this club is about to go on."

Seriously? Doesn't think we're playing for much? If this is a true quote from him about us then he's gone down in my estimation.
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/nathaniel-mendezlaing-sheffield-wednesday-derby-24389672

More like he wants to play for a club, so desperate, he might actually get a game. 

4 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

If you watch his actual interview it doesn't come across like he was referring to us (at 1.30).

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/blog/iframe/stream-video/28175#t

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

The snubbed reference was just the writers words. He did turn us down but likely down to wages or even length of contract offers. It doesn't read  to me that he was asked "why did you turn Wednesday down to join us"?

More likely just saying the right things about Derby and their prospects and his own ambition rather than a dig at us. Likely that reference to other clubs was just a generalisation.

• Like 1

He's at Derby for the same reason we brought him in. Because he's available, presumably cheap and they need to throw a squad together to try and compete and see what sticks.

We are in a very different place than we were last season with this squad and a different place to where Derby are now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

He's at Derby for the same reason we brought him in. Because he's available, presumably cheap and they need to throw a squad together to try and compete and see what sticks.

We are in a very different place than we were last season with this squad and a different place to where Derby are now. 

I feel we do need to replace him though. We need a winger with pace that can run at defenders and take them on. The nearest we have currently is Marvin Johnson but I wouldn't call him pacey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I feel we do need to replace him though. We need a winger with pace that can run at defenders and take them on. The nearest we have currently is Marvin Johnson but I wouldn't call him pacey.

Isn't that what we're after Wilks for?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Isn't that what we're after Wilks for?

Maybe but from what I've seen of Wilks he seems to play more centrally rather than a traditional winger. He's tricky but isn't particularly quick.

To me he looks more of a Windass type than a NML one.

44 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Agreed but it’s this part of the team where I think there’s a real chance to invest in someone younger and develop them as we tried with Jayden Brown 

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Maybe but from what I've seen of Wilks he seems to play more centrally rather than a traditional winger. He's tricky but isn't particularly quick.

To me he looks more of a Windass type than a NML one.

To be honest I'm not convinced we'll ever play with "traditional" wingers. For me the tactical flexibility that Moore apparently wants will come from being able to turn the forward line into a front 3, which is where I think your assessment of Wilks being more like Windass is exactly right and makes sense for what we're trying to do - with Windass and Wilks forming a 3 either side of Smith or Gregory. Or either one of them behind Smith & Gregory if we want to bring an "attacking midfielder" on instead of one of the 5 defenders. I might be wrong but I just think that's where the squad is shaping up.

We know Mendez-Laing isn't a fullback and perhaps the club just didn't see enough of him going forward. Whatever the attacking combination looks like, I don't think he gets in ahead of Windass or Wilks, so he'd either be playing out of position at fullback or second fiddle to forwards. 

• Like 2

On 01/07/2022 at 19:19, WalthamOwl said:

Think he’s a good player at this level. 

Have we dropped down to the National League?

The guy was garbage, proper spoon feet and couldn't be arsed. 

Marvin Johnson is lightyears ahead of him.

Edited by Owls2k