Mendez Laing

I said before I think derby will put together a decent team on paper but they need to sign around 20 players 

Problem Isn’t just about signing good players it’s not only getting them up to speed and to gel

they also need the right characters in the dressing room for what they need 

Mendez-Laing if played as a winger, an attacking winger is a very good player at this level. I can’t comment on his character but just an assumption is He needs strong vocal motivators and professionals around him. To keep the team focused 

Its interesting to see what derby will assemble on how they do. But my gut feeling still stands I think they’ve got far too much to do under too much difficulties to be in a title race 

best they can hope for is a play off place ( I think they will have a poor first half of the season ) worst they can ask for is to not drop out the bottom of the division 

all that togetherness under Rooney last year has gone they need to build a squad of talent and winners and do it quickly and get them playing together 

too much in my opinion 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Think he will do well at Derby. Up until the play off game I thought he looked good for us. 

Agreed. He's not a WB but certainly showed glimpses

24 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I said before I think derby will put together a decent team on paper but they need to sign around 20 players 

Problem Isn’t just about signing good players it’s not only getting them up to speed and to gel

they also need the right characters in the dressing room for what they need 

Mendez-Laing if played as a winger, an attacking winger is a very good player at this level. I can’t comment on his character but just an assumption is He needs strong vocal motivators and professionals around him. To keep the team focused 

Its interesting to see what derby will assemble on how they do. But my gut feeling still stands I think they’ve got far too much to do under too much difficulties to be in a title race 

best they can hope for is a play off place ( I think they will have a poor first half of the season ) worst they can ask for is to not drop out the bottom of the division 

all that togetherness under Rooney last year has gone they need to build a squad of talent and winners and do it quickly and get them playing together 

too much in my opinion 

A bit like us at the start of last season? We didn't start putting any sort of consistent squad or run together until the turn of the year yet we wasn't far from autos. It didn't take much run to get a team back in the mix

I doubt he will be playing wing back at Derby, could be more effective as a winger and had a great combination of pace and strength. He is slightly older now though and as we saw vs Rotherham when he used those attributes over and over it caught up with him in the hamstring!

I think players get talked down when they leave as we saw with Rotherham but really it’s not his ability that has him at this level and he could have played in the league above. It certainly makes Derby a lot more of a threat than they were yesterday but they will need a lot more than a good team on paper which seems likely to start to take shape.

Id have been gutted to learn of this and Luongo prior to the playoffs but I thought Luongo looked a bit tired and NML didn’t look bothered which suggests we are always going to need to look elsewhere at some point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

I doubt he will be playing wing back at Derby, could be more effective as a winger

Now this is what I can't get my head around. Does anyone think that making someone a winger absolves them of tracking back and doing a bit of work?

Of course it doesn't. Gone are the days where you can say he's a winger ( because he's a lazy fool). NML showed that in the Semi, glad to be shut of the fool.

3 minutes ago, Kelfin Platz said:

Now this is what I can't get my head around. Does anyone think that making someone a winger absolves them of tracking back and doing a bit of work?

Of course it doesn't. Gone are the days where you can say he's a winger ( because he's a lazy fool). NML showed that in the Semi, glad to be shut of the fool.

No great loss imo

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, we will have offered him another year imo. 

It would seem that no other club other than desperate Derby were prepared to offer two years either.

He was supposedly linked with Championship interest, most notably Wigan.

• Thanks 1