Mendez Laing

14 hours ago, 0114 said:

Also looks like Barkhuizen, Chester & Hourihane will be going there soon too. 

Thing is they’re in a difficult market as they can’t spend fees and they’re starting their business weeks later than everyone else. So they’ve got a load of 30 + year old knowing they’re desperate for players and not much time to get them in, so could be some decent moves for the players. 

I think Derby will be a problem in this division in 23/24. I think it’s very tough to build a side capable of promotion on short notice, but fair play to them if they do. 

Hourihane is far far too good for our league. Tragic if he goes there. 

13 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

And still owe HMRC (so us) 10s of millions of £s

This is so wrong 

clearly this is. if derby owe so much money then they should have a very strict wage budget allowance , shouldn't be allowed any transfer fees and only be able to pay a maximum of 5grand a week with say 5/6 million total wage budget this gradually releases after 1/2 years . how on earth can those type of players be signing? 

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Anyone saying we need 5 or 6 more players is plain wrong.

I’d say we NEED one - a 4th CB, ideally a leftie. Starting the season with only 3, with one being the sadly too injury-prone Iorfa, would be a huge risk. Palmer is a decent back-up but not a CB. We can’t start a 352 season with 3 CBs on the books.

A bonus would be a 3rd CF to cover for Gregory or Smith. Relying on two non-strikers as cover, Paterson and Windass, could leave us wanting. 

Imo we need 4...maybe.

2 cb's to replace Brennen and Dunk..

A wilks type player for NML

And a CM to replace Wing..

If we were being greedy I'd chuck another keeper in and a LWB....

Obviously that's IMPO...UTO...

21 minutes ago, markowl said:

Takeover was completed yesterday.

Ah missed that 

Doubt that Clowes will be extravagant in his transfer activities, will probably do a Manderic and get it ready for some big investors, maybe he has some lined up 

19 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

Hourihane is far far too good for our league. Tragic if he goes there. 

He’s a very good signing for L1, although I the point I was making was more in regards to having to offer a lot of 30 + year olds bigger deals because they’re in need of pretty much rebuilding an entire team. 

Although I’m not fussed on any of other either signings myself. 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
6 minutes ago, morganowl said:

clearly this is. if derby owe so much money then they should have a very strict wage budget allowance , shouldn't be allowed any transfer fees and only be able to pay a maximum of 5grand a week with say 5/6 million total wage budget this gradually releases after 1/2 years . how on earth can those type of players be signing? 

Just read that they are under restrictions from the EFL on what they can spend on transfers, wages, agents fees. Each signing has to through the EFL business plan first.

15 hours ago, fpowl said:

Strange move, turns us down. Signs for derby? 

we must of offered him peanuts 

Imagine if we both offered the same money.

However, Derby play with full backs, offering Mendez Laing more freedom and minutes on the pitch. 

You would run to Derby to avoid the defensive duties. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 0114 said:

Thing is they’re in a difficult market as they can’t spend fees and they’re starting their business weeks later than everyone else. So they’ve got a load of 30 + year old knowing they’re desperate for players and not much time to get them in, so could be some decent moves for the players. 

I think Derby will be a problem in this division in 23/24. I think it’s very tough to build a side capable of promotion on short notice, but fair play to them if they do. 

Wigan managed it last year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Imo we need 4...maybe.

2 cb's to replace Brennen and Dunk..

A wilks type player for NML

And a CM to replace Wing..

If we were being greedy I'd chuck another keeper in and a LWB....

Obviously that's IMPO...UTO...

We need two CB to come in although I'd be happy with just Dean signing as we'd have Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Heneghan, Palmer and Dean which would be OK.

Wilks would be ideal as we don't have many attacking wide players. 

Don't think we need cover anywhere else really especially CM.

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Wigan managed it last year.

Wigan didn’t do it on short notice though They we’re taken over in March 2021 before the 20/21 season had even ended so they had plenty of time to prepare for the 21/22 season? Derby have been taken over 29 days before the season and have next to no players. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snowyowl61 said:

Grammar police. we must HAVE offered him peanuts.

14 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Grammar police. New sentences start with a capital letter.

Saw this in a good movie.

Punctuate this….

that that is is that that is not is not

15 hours ago, 0114 said:

If they stay up

36 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think it’s a shame we’ve lost both NML and Luongo. We’re yet to replace them with better. 

Tbf, Vaulks could prove to be an upgrade on Luongo. 

NML offered something, but he seemed to go a bit off the boil following an encouraging start. Not sure he was really suited to play the wingback role tbh. For me, we need at least one more to offer some competition to Johnson on that left side. Really do think a big part of what cost us against Sunderland was the first choice wingbacks being a bit knackered. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

They haven't got a squad at moment. If he signs for them he will be expected to be in the side as he won't be a cheap option at this level. To be honest he was to inconsistent for me and his end product was often poor , think there is better options out there.

Pretty much agree - basically anyone who signs for them early will be a starter at first since they’ve got no one else, it’ll be a good chance for NML and Wildsmith to stake their claims. But I reckon as the transfer window goes on to Derby will bring in a fair few and these two will end up more as squad players.