Name change

5 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I don't honestly think I've ever said Sheffield Wednesday when asked who I support ....

I always say 

"I'm a Wednesdayite"....

In conversation 

Or "I'm off to see Wednesday"

For example ....

I bet you say Wensdeh . #LancashireAsylumSeekers. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I don't honestly think I've ever said Sheffield Wednesday when asked who I support ...

I find it's best to dodge the question completely

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

I suppose back around 1930  that city populations were pretty stable. If you were born in Sheffield, you'd likely stay in Sheffield, perhaps even live and die in the same part of the city. And similarly there was relatively little movement into the city. Whereas now,  kids are likely to move away, build careers elsewhere, maybe come back. At the same time, there's a consistent inflow into the city, from across the UK and of course overseas; and as a city it's pretty good at retaining students. I'd say that a very comfortable majority of people I know who live in Sheffield weren't born there.

That feels like it could be an argument for "de-Sheffielding"  but I think it cuts the other way: in a world where people are more mobile, it's nice to have something that's geographically rooted.

12 hours ago, The coach said:

A lot of Everton fans are gutted that they wer formed first and went for st domingos or summat instead of using the city’s name..also I note you didn’t mention  Inter Milano in your examples who have recently changed from Internationale to include their city’s name...may I suggest your talkin nonsense

Just as an afterthought, none of the 13 teams in London include London. All but Arsenal (formerly Woolwich) are named after districts in London, as is Aston Villa in Birmingham and Everton in Liverpool. 

22 hours ago, Nick the Owl said:

Except the biggest team in Liverpool plays in red whereas the biggest team in Sheffield plays in blue... important differentiation 😉

Didn't used to be the case, up until Shankly Everton had always been the bigger and more successful of the two.

• Like 1

It's a bit like Monty Python's "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" sketch.

The naming of the club shall be Wednesday and nothing else. Thou shalt not call the name of the club Sheffield under any circumstances, Sheffield being right out, thou shalt only use Sheffield as a means of proceeding to Wednesday, Wednesday being the naming of the club thereof!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Are there many fans round the country that use -ite?

Wednesdayite, Unitedite, Spireite.

Are Man U fans Unitedites?

When did -ite start? Does it o wasy back?

I hope Dawlish hasn't got a football team...

• Haha 3