Sheffield Wednesday battling to keep hold of Gregory (Championship interest)

Depends who the interest is from, would be a loss, but at his age if its any kind of half decent team he is going to want to go as he will probably be released at the end of this coming season anyway.

Good L1 striker, and if he can get a final run in the championship at mid table level I dont think anyone would begrudge him it.  However if it's a team thats gonna be relegation battling all season I could see him staying at what looks to be a team capable of winning the league and enjoying the season.

• Like 3

Let him go....good luck to him,good 2nd half of season,(like the rest of the team),very average 1st half...missed alot of sitters..Could have had 25+goals for us but,didn't.. 

Get some cash in from him probably leave next season for nothing anyhow.

UTO

Smith Windass wilks

Enough said..

31 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Let him go....good luck to him,good 2nd half of season,(like the rest of the team),very average 1st half...missed alot of sitters..Could have had 25+goals for us but,didn't.. 

UTO

Smith Windass wilks

Enough said..

Also missed alot of games too....  he would defo be a huge loss...  not just his goals but his overall attacking play and running off the ball.

• Like 9

Given his age I can't see anyone offering us more than a couple of hundred thousand which we wont be able to replace him with so can't see him going anywhere..  If someone does want to pay silly money then obviously we would be silly not to cash in and if it allows us to go for someone like Alfie May then fair enough..

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

UTO

Smith Windass wilks

Enough said..

16 league goals in 36 games will take some replacing.

• Like 4

I think this is the perfect scenario for us tbh. 

At his age, 33 nearly 34, the £ market is skewed. Either massively overpay, or do one. 

I can't see anyone offering a significant amount of money on that basis, and unless someone was going to massively overpay, why would we sell our top goalscorer when our goal is clearly automatic promotion? 

We lose what, £8m a season being in L1 compared to Championship on revenue? 

Whats the transfer fee likely to be in comparison to that really? 

Keep him unless its a massively over inflated offer. 

• Like 1

Seen this tweet from the Journo who reported it: 

"It is really. There’s interest. If player wants to go then he will go. One year left on contract and at his age, wouldn’t command a huge fee. Let’s see"

Couldn't disagree more. 

#1, when does Chansiri ever accept a low fee? 

#2, when does Chansiri ever get hardballed by a player wanting to leave?! I mean Abdi and Jones basically begged to leave and couldnt haha

Probably more to the point, id argue at his age with 1 year left on his contract, it actually weakens his position, because he wont want to play hard ball and potentially miss out on a seasons football!

Any player like Gregory or Bannan has to be here for purely money OR ambition to get promoted immediately.

We missed out on promotion meaning Bannan and Gregory have to start from scratch all over again to try and get us promoted which of course they'll do but a year older can they do it?

Also will they have the same motivation to do it given that they gave their all last season but it didn't happen

If it's purely money then Championship can offer more

If it's wanting to play at a higher level then Championship can offer that immediately

If it's that they're settled in Sheffield and don't want the upheaval at this stage of their career then the best solution for the player is to take Chansiri's money and stay put 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Never say never, depends on the club involved and the fee offered. Lee said he was happy here so unless it's a significant improvement in terms he'll stay.

Many stories in the transfer window are often highly speculative or made-up TBH. No clubs named makes me think this could be one such story.

• Like 1