Worst financially performing club in Europe

2 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Never like these comparisons when they pick an arbitrary number to sample 185?

There are 92 teams in the English league alone. Probably close to the 185 in the UK and Ireland leagues.

What about the other 1,000 teams in the European leagues?

My thoughts exactly.

Some clubs have gone out of existence.

Some of the European giants like PSG and Barcelona have lost a billion plus.

I doubt there are many in the Prem who are really sustainablly run.

To claim we are the worst run club in Europe is absolute nonsense and on top of that, we are running things differently these days.

I guess all the recent positivity is too much for some, who just can't wait to jump on anything negative and release their anger towards the chairman.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Frustrating as this is dragging back to over a year ago, where we still had Westwood, Lees, Rhodes, Reach etc all on massive contracts and admittedly it was a complete shambles with mismanagement of finances etc... 

I honestly thing the club (driven by DC) has been considerably better in the last year in how its operated and i'm actually positive about how things seem to be going. 

So really i couldn't care less about that article unless its on about new information, which it isnt really. once we get the next set of accounts, then we can get another view i suppose but from the outside, i think (and hope) DC has learned some lessons already and this is old news...

• Like 6

Guest I Love Coffee

I'm guessing most of the people with a knee jerk reaction didn't read the article first?

'Clubs that include transfer revenue in their total turnover have been excluded to create fairness.'

So this is ONLY a list of clubs that do not include transfer revenue.

51 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

FFS
You think they play for free?
You think we pay all agents fees, transfer fees, player wages and bonuses up front?

Come on now

what transfer fees ?........and yes  i do think we pay the players  monthly  as we soon hear about it  when they dont .......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

what transfer fees ?........and yes  i do think we pay the players  monthly  as we soon hear about it  when they dont .......

You mean lilke all the times we've heard that we didnt?

Come on now - stop trying to pick holes in my factually accurate END educational post and just admit I'm right

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, I Love Coffee said:

I'm guessing most of the people with a knee jerk reaction didn't read the article first? 

Some piled in on the sports writer without a moments hesitation to attack them, only for it to turn out they didn't come up with the figures or do the calculations themselves at all

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I honestly thing the club (driven by DC) has been considerably better in the last year in how its operated and i'm actually positive about how things seem to be going.  

Same here

Another season like last season (minus the crackpot pre-xmas season ticket thing) and it's a perfect score for the chairman

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

An investigation is required, most companies would do an internal

audit and come up with a plan to reduce costs. 

I believe it will come out that the rent for the stadium is some sort of scam or deal that finishes off. 

• Haha 2

I’d take that article with a pinch of salt.

Hibs are top 10 in that list with a pitiful turnover, they’re a club who play in front of a half full stadium every week, and have a chairman who blasted £10k+ a week on a forward that didn’t score a single goal who they freed a matter of months later. Something doesn’t add up. 

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Hate this way of thinking

The exact same phrases were used under every previous owner or chairman too from Dave Allen to Chansiri etc

I think you chat bubbles at times but I'm with you 100% on this, and I know you've always said the same.

There will always be a Wednesday in some form or another. We've sunk so low that I'd be quite happy if the club went under and it meant getting rid of this cancer in our club. I'm glad we're losing so much money and I hope it's bleeding him dry. He deserves it.

We've always had a hard core of support that would still watch Wednesday even if a re-formed club started at the bottom of the pyramid. What's everyone going to do at the weekend? Go to Meadowhall with the wife? Watch the pigs or the mini pigs? F--k than S--t! I watch Wednesday with my mates and my boy, the division or where we go to watch them is largely irrelevant. 

Things can't really get much worse and to have people saying there wouldn't be a club if it wasn't for Chumpsiri just boils my wee wee. We've absolutely nothing to thank him for.

He's taken a stable, top-half championship squad that needed two or three players for promotion, that had no debt and owned it's own ground; and turned it into a pub league side, saddled with debt and sold the stadium.

Absolutely despise the cu next Tuesday. 

• Haha 3

This is a positive as we are 185th out of over 1000 professional football clubs in the 37 leagues in Europe, We are only bottom out the ones that were Cherry picked for analysis in truth.🤐

Edited by Prince
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Steelman said:

I think you chat bubbles at times but I'm with you 100% on this, and I know you've always said the same.

There will always be a Wednesday in some form or another. We've sunk so low that I'd be quite happy if the club went under and it meant getting rid of this cancer in our club. I'm glad we're losing so much money and I hope it's bleeding him dry. He deserves it.

We've always had a hard core of support that would still watch Wednesday even if a re-formed club started at the bottom of the pyramid. What's everyone going to do at the weekend? Go to Meadowhall with the wife? Watch the pigs or the mini pigs? F--k than S--t! I watch Wednesday with my mates and my boy, the division or where we go to watch them is largely irrelevant. 

Things can't really get much worse and to have people saying there wouldn't be a club if it wasn't for Chumpsiri just boils my wee wee. We've absolutely nothing to thank him for.

He's taken a stable, top-half championship squad that needed two or three players for promotion, that had no debt and owned it's own ground; and turned it into a pub league side, saddled with debt and sold the stadium.

Absolutely despise the cu next Tuesday. 

Dear me 

4 hours ago, Daz said:

There is no short term fix to losses unless we play kids and low earners, we wouldn’t be bottom of this financial league but we might be bottom of league 1 with lower crowds, lower revenue and a very disgruntled fan base. The loss of revenue would mean we’d probably end up loss making despite the savings made.

We are where we are, we all know about the mistakes made and I think most of us were excited with the announcements of the players we just signed. Yes we do need to have a system which identifies and brings in young players with future transfer value but where one or two would feature regularly in our starting line up. That’s the only way to showcase players for resale value, and hopefully it wouldn’t impact our promotion chances too much. That’s where good management and coaching comes in. 

For me, this article is yesterday’s news and does nothing to galvanize everyone behind a crucial season ahead for us. 

Great post 

You've gotta love selective analyes!

What's undeniable is that out of all the football clubs called Sheffield Wednesday FC we are simultaneously the best and the worst, the first and the last, the most stable and most unstable!

I expect to see the above analysed in a lengthy (albeit nonsensical) expose in the next edition of 'Off the Pitch', quickly followed up by a cut+paste job in the 'Examiner'. This journalism lark is an absolute doddle!

lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince said:

This is a positive as we are 185th out of over 1000 professional football clubs in the 37 leagues in Europe, We are only bottom out the ones that were Cherry picked for analysis in truth.🤐

This^^^

Reads like they made a table where we were placed 185th then drew a line under us and said we finished bottom.

Usual journos having a pop at us to make us look worse than we actually are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1