Darren Moore

25 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Need to move on to Snortin' Whiskey (and Drinking Cocaine)!

Tequila Stuntman is the way forward. Snort the salt, squeeze the lime in your eye and drink.

And yes, I've done it. Waaaaay too many times to mention lol

• Haha 1

I had frustrations in the first half of last season but once DM got the team playing to its potential we were excellent. He never lost the dressing room and the team kept grafting for him to the end. 

The bloke has clearly seen where we needed improvement and got it sorted ASAP. 

I genuinely fully expect us to go up in the autos and probably top. And I think a lot of that will be down to how Darren manages us. 

Let the good times roll!

• Like 4

I like DM and think he is a good bloke and knows what a good player looks like and is able to attract them to the club and form good relationships with them. Tactically I think he is massively flawed in particular when it comes to starting formations and in game management. He has been inflexible with his style and unable to change the course of a game. Basically he only has a plan a, which isn’t that great to start with. That became clear when reading reports from West Brom and donny fans and also when he tried to shoehorn his system into the last 10 games of the championship season when we clearly didn’t have the players to do it, thus killing any hope we had of staying up. He is in a very fortunate position that our squad is significantly better than the others in the league and that we have DC as chairman who has not put a foot wrong for the past 18 months. Towards the end of last season he did appear to be improving, particularly with substitutions and we need this improvement to continue exponentially. I feel he is learning on our dollar and although he will take us up this season he  will be even more out of his depth in the championship when we don’t have the best squad. The above may sound like I don’t like him but that is not true. I do and I prey he has learned from last season. He should - have he was taken to school by enough opposition managers. If he continues to improve he will hopefully prove me wrong and I actually am 100% behind both him and Chansiri.I believe DC will take us to the prem, but I don’t think DM will be the manager when that happens. But this season will be great as we should canter to an automatic spot courtesy of DCs deep pockets.

• Like 3

When do you get to the point that the manager has done all he can and its down to the players?  He has/is putting together a strong squad which to any knowledgeable fan is strong enough to make the top six and I would say at a canter.  If the players have the desire we should really be looking at a top two finish.

Oh I like him wish he would stop crouching down though, but that might be generational thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

He has some qualities.. man management is good and recruitment has been good last few seasons.

He bottles big games though (Derby, Sunderland). Tactics are one dimensional, team selections are irrational at times with too many out of position.

He will lead us to 4-8th again and we will have exactly the same debates as last season. Half saying we should do better and the other half irrationally backing mediocrity.

Bottom line is we needed to stay up in 2020/21, needed to go up in 2021/22 and now definitely need to go up in 2022/23. If we don’t go up then surely even his ardent supporters have to admit the appointment has been a failure 

Did well to get us to 4th after all the turmoil on and off the pitch. Had a massive injury crisis in defence and was forced into playing players out of position, which also reduced our tactical options through the season. When we got players back from injury we were promotion form.

He never bottled it against Sunderland, we were simply beaten by the better side over 2 legs. Taking into account the number of new players we brought in loans / frees etc we did really well to finish were we did. 
Now we are recruiting well in areas we needed to strengthen and that is down to Moore and Chansiri. 
The only irrational fans are those that want Moore out or think we underperformed last season. 
UTO

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

Bit strange that considering this years recruitment to sign players that are statistically proven and being on quite that he wants he squad to be more tactically flexible 

this is where I stand by him. Beyond the dugout Darren more seems to be the first manager that looks like he’s got through to chansiri in footballing matters 

the academy seems more active especially in loaning out players 

last season we tied a lot if senior players down early so we didn’t let them get into the last 6 months Iorfa, windass spring to mind 

not sure on all the coaches and roles what they do and why would i but I can only imagine that’s a positive from a coaching and footballing point of view 

the recruitment is much better even last year under difficult circumstances we recruited overall well

this year we’ve recruited smart, quick and sensible identify weakness from last year and adding proven performers at this level 

everybody in the football world suggest Moore is great, players consistently come out and say they signed and a reason was Darren Moore 

at one stage his relegated hungover squad patched up by loans and frees had 15 players out injured. Yet he finished 4th and most importantly showed improvement and progression 

I questioned him for periods last year especially the run up to Christmas and a bit after 

but I think my view point is we have to look at all the picture and think we’ve got a good young manager that seems to not only be able to manage our team but gets a footballing tune out of chansiri and I think Moore needs to be around for a fair few years he’s doing well 

Surely a strong promotion will have everyone back on board? 

I don't hold the exact same views as you in this post but enjoyed reading it all the same. 

46 minutes ago, J-owl said:

I think he’s done a good job. He’s had to manage a team whilst beginning the process of turning the ship around at the same time. Considering the state we were in when we went down I think he’s doing well. 4th place without being able to pay any fees, tying down contracts, loaning out youth etc. 

Didn’t manage promotion but did a huge number of things last year that will set us up better for the next few seasons 

Well said, agree with this 100%

1 hour ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

He has some qualities.. man management is good and recruitment has been good last few seasons.

He bottles big games though (Derby, Sunderland). Tactics are one dimensional, team selections are irrational at times with too many out of position.

He will lead us to 4-8th again and we will have exactly the same debates as last season. Half saying we should do better and the other half irrationally backing mediocrity.

Bottom line is we needed to stay up in 2020/21, needed to go up in 2021/22 and now definitely need to go up in 2022/23. If we don’t go up then surely even his ardent supporters have to admit the appointment has been a failure 

Disagree 100%

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

I like DM and think he is a good bloke and knows what a good player looks like and is able to attract them to the club and form good relationships with them. Tactically I think he is massively flawed in particular when it comes to starting formations and in game management. He has been inflexible with his style and unable to change the course of a game. Basically he only has a plan a, which isn’t that great to start with. That became clear when reading reports from West Brom and donny fans and also when he tried to shoehorn his system into the last 10 games of the championship season when we clearly didn’t have the players to do it, thus killing any hope we had of staying up. He is in a very fortunate position that our squad is significantly better than the others in the league and that we have DC as chairman who has not put a foot wrong for the past 18 months. Towards the end of last season he did appear to be improving, particularly with substitutions and we need this improvement to continue exponentially. I feel he is learning on our dollar and although he will take us up this season he  will be even more out of his depth in the championship when we don’t have the best squad. The above may sound like I don’t like him but that is not true. I do and I prey he has learned from last season. He should - have he was taken to school by enough opposition managers. If he continues to improve he will hopefully prove me wrong and I actually am 100% behind both him and Chansiri.I believe DC will take us to the prem, but I don’t think DM will be the manager when that happens. But this season will be great as we should canter to an automatic spot courtesy of DCs deep pockets.

Interested to see which managers you thought schooled him last season. 

• Like 1

Not his biggest fan.

But.

In his defence, the two things he seems to still get slated for, the set pieces and his experiments with NML in attack were two of the things he did right.

We were much better with set pieces, both defensively and offensively late on, without the corners, we wouldn't have made the playoffs.

NML, we really needed something to beat the press, and it's usually pace that does it. In the absence of Windass, we struggled to break down some teams and really needed something different. He was it.

Again, without him, we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs as he opened up a few teams when we had no answers otherwise.

57 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

All things considered, with the off the field mess, Darren Moore did well last season with recruitment and to turn us from a sinking ship into a top six team. We weren't far off last season, off back of a few years turmoil on and off the pitch. Last season was the first season since Carlos' first season or two where it was about the football on the pitch and not all about off the field nonsense.

At times, especially the last few months it was the most I've enjoyed watching Wednesday since Carlos' first season. Hopefully we can kick on from last season's progress and the recruitment so far looks very good for this level. Good luck to Moore, at times to be honest I've doubted him but he did well last season and this season we should have a better chance of promotion, it will be a tough league again but hopefully we'll go up this time. 🤞

Wondered how long it would take for someone to mention the “C” word. 🤡

I think Darren Moore is a great manager. I can’t remember the last manager since Carlos that has recruited the players we need in the position we need them (in fact, we all know that Carlos didn’t get that combative midfielder that we really needed). Moore is also the first manager since Carlos to find a winning tactic and formation and exploit it. He has his faults but firstly, that is why he’s managing us and not a Prem team and secondly, he’s still quite young for a manager and still learning his trade. 

I think some people won’t like Moore because he doesn’t give a great interview, some people won’t like him because he has, at times, appeared hesitant to change a game tactic and, I’m sorry to say (because it’s a sad indictment on our society), some people won’t like him because he’s a black man - I know I’ll get pelters off some on here for mentioning that but I honestly believe it’s the case. By no means am I saying anyone in the thread is racist - I am just referring to certain people in our entire fan base. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

There was a point during last season where I thought he was done here. We were so bloody inconsistent and it still felt like he was not really sure what his best team was. 

But then things started to click about November time and, bar that slightly iffy spell after the enforced COVID break, we had a very strong second half of the season, albeit there are still a few of the old frailties - giving away last minutes goals for one. 

I like the bloke, I like the way he tries to play football and I think he's very good at recruitment. The players clearly like him a lot and it's helping us bring in some players that perhaps other League One teams are unable to do so (yes, we can also probably pay them a decentish wage too, but still). 

Pressure is a bit more on this season imo. I don't think we can really be faffing about again, trying to find our best team, tinkering with formations. Need to make a better start and I'm pretty hopeful we will. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

After an horrendous start to the season in many respects, the second half improved to the extent that a bit more consistency earlier on would have resulted in automatic promotion, more than likely.

In the light of this, I find it difficult to know why so many of that team, who performed so well, have gone - to be replaced by new ones who, at best, have only the same credentials. Unless it is a financial situation. I genuinely would like some idea of what I am missing - it is not a criticism - I really am curious as to the rationale behind it all.

Just now, nortonwoodseatslives said:

After an horrendous start to the season in many respects, the second half improved to the extent that a bit more consistency earlier on would have resulted in automatic promotion, more than likely.

In the light of this, I find it difficult to know why so many of that team, who performed so well, have gone - to be replaced by new ones who, at best, have only the same credentials. Unless it is a financial situation. I genuinely would like some idea of what I am missing - it is not a criticism - I really am curious as to the rationale behind it all.

I reckon they must have let the side down at some point or there are concerns around their fitness levels

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Ainsworth 

Neil

Lowe

Appleton

Maher

For starters.

How did they school him, none finished above us across the 46 game season. 

Sunderland beat us in the playoffs, but certainly didn’t school us.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3