Attention all ground / team counters

Do pre-season friendlies count when counting grounds / teams?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do pre-season friendlies count when counting grounds / teams?

• Yes - Of course they do
    • No - It's competitive matches only

9 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The 92 Club is the most exclusive club in football - reserved for those loyal fans who have travelled the length and breadth of England (and parts of Wales), watching matches at all 92 League football stadiums.

There is only one main rule for joining the 92 Club: you must have watched a football match at each current stadium in the top 4 English leagues - the Premier League, Championship, League One and League Two.

To clarify further:

This has to have been an association football (soccer) match. Any other sport does not count

You must have watched the match from inside the stadium

You must have visited the team's current ground. A previous visit to White Hart Lane doesn't count anymore - you need to go to Tottenham Hotspur stadium

Going on a tour of the ground doesn't count

Driving past the ground doesn't count

Going to a ground for any other reason (events, weddings, christening etc) doesn't count

You don't have to watch your own team though - any football match counts, including pre-season friendlies, cup matches and international fixtures

You don't have to have sat in the away end. Any seat (or standing, if you're lucky) counts

The match you watch doesn't have to have any goals. A 0-0 draw still counts

Watching a match at a ground before the team was in the football league does count. Eg, it counts if you went to Salford whilst they were a non-League club

You don't have to visit all grounds in the same season, or year (but well done if you do)

Sensible rules for the 92 Club. In my case allowing for teams that have moved or dropped out of the league I lose about 1/3rd of them!

Massively impressed by people in this thread.

2 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Re. the debate around new stadiums etc., my personal rule is that a club only needs a second visit if it moves site. If you did the old White Hart Lane you're not necessarily obligated to go and re-do it now.

I'd vote for that rule clarification.  Though in the case of Spurs it is worth trying to get there, I think it's easily the best new stadium.

11 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The 92 Club is the most exclusive club in football - reserved for those loyal fans who have travelled the length and breadth of England (and parts of Wales), watching matches at all 92 League football stadiums.

There is only one main rule for joining the 92 Club: you must have watched a football match at each current stadium in the top 4 English leagues - the Premier League, Championship, League One and League Two.

To clarify further:

This has to have been an association football (soccer) match. Any other sport does not count

You must have visited the team's current ground. A previous visit to White Hart Lane doesn't count anymore - you need to go to Tottenham Hotspur stadium

Going to a ground for any other reason (events, weddings, christening etc) doesn't count

You don't have to watch your own team though - any football match counts, including pre-season friendlies, cup matches and international fixtures

You don't have to have sat in the away end. Any seat (or standing, if you're lucky) counts

Watching a match at a ground before the team was in the football league does count. Eg, it counts if you went to Salford whilst they were a non-League club

You don't have to visit all grounds in the same season, or year (but well done if you do)

Does herrintho

20 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

Quick poll / question to settle a 'discussion' with a mate.

If you're a ground / team counter do pre-season friendlies count? Or has it got to be a competitive fixture?

Obviously if you've seen (for example) 'A Barcalona XI' that doesn't mean you've see Barca play.

Absolutely yes. I’ll be ticking Alfreton off the list next Saturday

My cousin and mate decided this in 1996, if you pay to watch a match or have been given a ticket that you would have otherwise have paid for, it counts.Hence I count Mollineux from last weeks England v Belgium women game. I also count an England U21 at the blunts (Don't make me go back there) 

15 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

To clarify further:

Yep this is essentially the rules I would follow

The only rule is there are no rules it's just a bit of fun.

Eg

When I went to monza for the grand prix I had a few days in Milan, on one of the days I did a ground tour of the San Siro , its certainly on my list of grounds visited.

Which currently stands at 159 grounds visited 82 watching Wednesday 

Of course pre-season games count, it's the only way to get some of them. I'm on 114 watching Wednesday, possibly adding Alfreton and Harrrogate in the next couple of weeks, then the only new ones in the league for me are Portsmouth and Forest Green.

The bigger question is - do U23/SWFC XI games count as a new ground or as I think, should it only be first team or mostly first team games? 

I've seen strong teams play at Worksop and Stocksbridge so I count those in my total, but what about when the U23s play at Featherstone/Wakefield soon? 

43 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Of course pre-season games count, it's the only way to get some of them. I'm on 114 watching Wednesday, possibly adding Alfreton and Harrrogate in the next couple of weeks, then the only new ones in the league for me are Portsmouth and Forest Green.

The bigger question is - do U23/SWFC XI games count as a new ground or as I think, should it only be first team or mostly first team games? 

I've seen strong teams play at Worksop and Stocksbridge so I count those in my total, but what about when the U23s play at Featherstone/Wakefield soon? 

Personally I think it has to be a match between 2 clubs first teams, so no I wouldn't include matches watching SWFC U23's or A SWFC XI - I guess that means excluding the EPL U21 teams in the pizza cup too...

But, it seems to be up to personal rules too.

On 26/06/2022 at 07:34, Inspector Lestrade said:

Is that a new / changed rule?

When I looked a few years ago, not only did you have to have been when they were a league club, you could only count it if you had been during their current stay in the league. So for example, if you'd been to Stockport on any of the previous occasions we'd played them, you still aren't classed as ticking it off for the 92 club and they've been out of the league and now come back in so you have to go again

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Is that a new / changed rule?

When I looked a few years ago, not only did you have to have been when they were a league club, you could only count it if you had been during their current stay in the league. So for example, if you'd been to Stockport on any of the previous occasions we'd played them, you still aren't classed as ticking it off for the 92 club and they've been out of the league and now come back in so you have to go again

Dunno mate I only know what I copied off their site.  I've never been a subscriber to their organisation ...Sorry