Attention all ground / team counters

Do pre-season friendlies count when counting grounds / teams?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do pre-season friendlies count when counting grounds / teams?

• Yes - Of course they do
    • No - It's competitive matches only

Yeah I "count" pre-season friendlies for groundhopping purposes - the bit of the summer before the start of the season is often the best time to get around a lot of grounds so you'd be making life unnecessarily difficult if you restrict yourself to league games.

Then again, I've heard about some types who don't consider the ground to have been "ticked off" unless a goal is scored, that would be even more of a pain in the rear.

7 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Yeah I "count" pre-season friendlies for groundhopping purposes - the bit of the summer before the start of the season is often the best time to get around a lot of grounds so you'd be making life unnecessarily difficult if you restrict yourself to league games.

Then again, I've heard about some types who don't consider the ground to have been "ticked off" unless a goal is scored, that would be even more of a pain in the rear.

Was really hoping you'd reply!

How many are you up to?

8 minutes ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

Was really hoping you'd reply!

How many are you up to?

Crikey, I feel famous :biggrin:

The Futbology app informed me a few months back that I'd passed the 100 grounds mark, that includes a fair few non-league/foreign grounds though so I'm a fair way off completing the 92 just yet.

Went to a pre-season game at Berwick Rangers today - game not a classic but the friendly bloke in the club shop sold me a big stack of Wednesday programmes from the 90s.

As an aside - what a wonderful invention the Futbology app is. Fully recommended even to those not that fussed about groundhopping, the "on this day" reminders are great nostalgia kicks. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Crikey, I feel famous :biggrin:

The Futbology app informed me a few months back that I'd passed the 100 grounds mark, that includes a fair few non-league/foreign grounds though so I'm a fair way off completing the 92 just yet.

Went to a pre-season game at Berwick Rangers today - game not a classic but the friendly bloke in the club shop sold me a big stack of Wednesday programmes from the 90s.

As an aside - what a wonderful invention the Futbology app is. Fully recommended even to those not that fussed about groundhopping, the "on this day" reminders are great nostalgia kicks. 

Your username was a bit of a giveaway...

Cheers for the tip about the Futbology app - think a chap I bump into at non-league uses it or something similar, but hesitated to ask as he's a bit odd - he has a thing about goalposts, apparently there are lots of different types...

Got my first pre-season game lined up for next Friday, but no new teams or grounds.

As pastimes go it is pretty odd, I'll freely admit it. A relative got me into it, I actually went with him to a "groundhoppers' day" in Scotland last autumn where they did four games in a day (we veered off to a different 3pm kick off so only did three) and seeing some of the types there huddled around teamsheets with their notebooks did have me questioning my life choices.

The app is great though, provided you've got a good memory of the games you've been to from more than a decade ago, its record of games before that is sketchy, especially lower down the pyramid, but you can enter them in yourself.

As pastimes go it is pretty odd, I'll freely admit it. A relative got me into it, I actually went with him to a "groundhoppers' day" in Scotland last autumn where they did four games in a day (we veered off to a different 3pm kick off so only did three) and seeing some of the types there huddled around teamsheets with their notebooks did have me questioning my life choices.

The app is great though, provided you've got a good memory of the games you've been to from more than a decade ago, its record of games before that is sketchy, especially lower down the pyramid, but you can enter them in yourself.

Met a couple of lads doing a groundhopper day at non-league. That's not my bag, I need the buzz of supporting one of the teams involved or accompanying a mate who does.

Will definitely look at the app, as being a sad sack I have hand written records...

Is it grounds or teams that are counted and what is the level of football that must have been played. Watching say Alfreton Town or Worksop Town at home, or watching your child play on those pitches as an U18?

Or Child playing at Mytle Springs Com or even me playning v Jordanthore Comp.

The 92 Club is the most exclusive club in football - reserved for those loyal fans who have travelled the length and breadth of England (and parts of Wales), watching matches at all 92 League football stadiums.

There is only one main rule for joining the 92 Club: you must have watched a football match at each current stadium in the top 4 English leagues - the Premier League, Championship, League One and League Two.

To clarify further:

This has to have been an association football (soccer) match. Any other sport does not count

You must have watched the match from inside the stadium

You must have visited the team's current ground. A previous visit to White Hart Lane doesn't count anymore - you need to go to Tottenham Hotspur stadium

Going on a tour of the ground doesn't count

Driving past the ground doesn't count

Going to a ground for any other reason (events, weddings, christening etc) doesn't count

You don't have to watch your own team though - any football match counts, including pre-season friendlies, cup matches and international fixtures

You don't have to have sat in the away end. Any seat (or standing, if you're lucky) counts

The match you watch doesn't have to have any goals. A 0-0 draw still counts

Watching a match at a ground before the team was in the football league does count. Eg, it counts if you went to Salford whilst they were a non-League club

You don't have to visit all grounds in the same season, or year (but well done if you do)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Given that people stare at trains and planes I think your vice of travelling the country visiting football grounds and meeting other fans is brilliant mate.

You got any new ones this season? Forest Green Rovers for example?

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The 92 Club is the most exclusive club in football - reserved for those loyal fans who have travelled the length and breadth of England (and parts of Wales), watching matches at all 92 League football stadiums.

There is only one main rule for joining the 92 Club: you must have watched a football match at each current stadium in the top 4 English leagues - the Premier League, Championship, League One and League Two.

To clarify further:

This has to have been an association football (soccer) match. Any other sport does not count

You must have watched the match from inside the stadium

You must have visited the team's current ground. A previous visit to White Hart Lane doesn't count anymore - you need to go to Tottenham Hotspur stadium

Going on a tour of the ground doesn't count

Driving past the ground doesn't count

Going to a ground for any other reason (events, weddings, christening etc) doesn't count

You don't have to watch your own team though - any football match counts, including pre-season friendlies, cup matches and international fixtures

You don't have to have sat in the away end. Any seat (or standing, if you're lucky) counts

The match you watch doesn't have to have any goals. A 0-0 draw still counts

Watching a match at a ground before the team was in the football league does count. Eg, it counts if you went to Salford whilst they were a non-League club

You don't have to visit all grounds in the same season, or year (but well done if you do)

Thanks for the clarification - seems a reasonable set of 'rules'.

My '92' count has actually gone down in recent years with relegations to the National League and clubs moving to new stadiums.

1 minute ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

Thanks for the clarification - seems a reasonable set of 'rules'.

My '92' count has actually gone down in recent years with relegations to the National League and clubs moving to new stadiums.

No worries I was interested myself to find out, but I'm not accepting the rule that it has to be the clubs present ground to be counted, would knock my count down lol 

14 hours ago, Rotherham Owl said:

Is it grounds or teams that are counted and what is the level of football that must have been played. Watching say Alfreton Town or Worksop Town at home, or watching your child play on those pitches as an U18?

Or Child playing at Mytle Springs Com or even me playning v Jordanthore Comp.

I'd say you have to have watched the first team of the ground you're visiting yeah, say if I watched Wednesday away at Leicester U23s in the pizza cup (don't know where that game is actually scheduled for) I wouldn't consider myself to have "ticked off" the King Power.

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Given that people stare at trains and planes I think your vice of travelling the country visiting football grounds and meeting other fans is brilliant mate.

You got any new ones this season? Forest Green Rovers for example?

Aye different strokes for different folks. I don't get to many away games nowadays due to personal circumstances but hopeful of ticking off some of the promoted clubs next season priority points allowing, they'd all be new for me. I suspect I'll have the Scottish 42 ticked off long before the English 92.

Re. the debate around new stadiums etc., my personal rule is that a club only needs a second visit if it moves site. If you did the old White Hart Lane you're not necessarily obligated to go and re-do it now.

That may seem like cheating but a lot of new-builds crap and I just can't be bothered to do them, e.g. York City's new place looks awful.