New under 23 players

Bobby Dunn - nippy left footed central midfielder who plays in front of back 3. Not everything He tried came of, but showed lot of quality on the ball, urgency and ambition in his ball distribution. With his confidence and "know how" at times looked like a first time player making a step down to play U-23 football.

Sam Durrant -  in his only game for us played as a 2'nd striker or very attacking midfielder than dropped (sometimes very) deep to get on the ball and link the play. Scored absolute peach of a goal. However I'm concerned regarding his age as He turned 21 couple of months ago and as a principle We shouldn't sign over 20 players to play development football.

Josh Ashman - missed most of his first season with academy , but showed promise in his 2'nd season although. Big fella with bit about him and lot of improving to do. Only of 2'nd year U-18 lads I was confident will get offer of a pro deal (Davidson signed his as soon as He turned 17).

Fuad Sesay - athletic and hard working, but in my opinion looked quite average and with offering him pro deal now We have 3 left backs in our U-23 squad with him, Galvin and Aguas there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, malek said:

Bobby Dunn - nippy left footed central midfielder who plays in front of back 3. Not everything He tried came of, but showed lot of quality on the ball, urgency and ambition in his ball distribution. With his confidence and "know how" at times looked like a first time player making a step down to play U-23 football.

Sam Durrant -  in his only game for us played as a 2'nd striker or very attacking midfielder than dropped (sometimes very) deep to get on the ball and link the play. Scored absolute peach of a goal. However I'm concerned regarding his age as He turned 21 couple of months ago and as a principle We shouldn't sign over 20 players to play development football.

Josh Ashman - missed most of his first season with academy , but showed promise in his 2'nd season although. Big fella with bit about him and lot of improving to do. Only of 2'nd year U-18 lads I was confident will get offer of a pro deal (Davidson signed his as soon as He turned 17).

Fuad Sesay - athletic and hard working, but in my opinion looked quite average and with offering him pro deal now We have 3 left backs in our U-23 squad with him, Galvin and Aguas there.

Interesting post. Thanks for this info.👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malek said:

Was one of these young lads the one that we were talking about on here a few weeks ago and looked amazing on that YouTube showreel?  

Obviously first team squad issues will take centre stage understandably but I think this coming season will give us a better idea if Moore does as I’ve thought all along has a plan for youth development at our football club. It might not have shown clearly last season but trying to get our young pros out on Loan was a sea change from recent seasons and I expect this to continue next season.

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Was one of these young lads the one that we were talking about on here a few weeks ago and looked amazing on that YouTube showreel?  

If I'm remembering it right player we talked about was Rio Shipston. He is 17 years old midfielder who is yet to get offer of a professional contract and who is in my opinion most talented youngster at the club.

This video, right ?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jim said:

Obviously first team squad issues will take centre stage understandably but I think this coming season will give us a better idea if Moore does as I’ve thought all along has a plan for youth development at our football club. It might not have shown clearly last season but trying to get our young pros out on Loan was a sea change from recent seasons and I expect this to continue next season.

I don't think we'll see Moore progress youth into the first team whenever we are in League 1 unless those young players are absolutely spectacular.  Moore's remit will be to get us out of this league as soon as possible and gaining promotion  while developing players doesn't typically happen unfortunately.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, malek said:

If I'm remembering it right player we talked about was Rio Shipston. He is 17 years old midfielder who is yet to get offer of a professional contract and who is in my opinion most talented youngster at the club.

This video, right ?

That's the one pal.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I don't think we'll see Moore progress youth into the first team whenever we are in League 1 unless those young players are absolutely spectacular.  Moore's remit will be to get us out of this league as soon as possible and gaining promotion  while developing players doesn't typically happen unfortunately.  

Looking at level of competition we are about to face next season compared with amount of quality and experience throughout our squad, We should be able to start odd youngster or bring one or two of the bench.

Still don't think Moore will do it. Why risk it when it doesn't seem to be one of demands put in front of him.

• Like 2

@malek  do you have any explanation, why Shipston still hasn't got a contract? 

Regarding the development of youngsters in the first team, I hope that we are so good this season, that we can afford to gamble a bit on youngsters in the last 30 minutes of each game. Hope that's not just daydreaming. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Regarding the development of youngsters in the first team, I hope that we are so good this season, that we can afford to gamble a bit on youngsters in the last 30 minutes of each game. Hope that's not just daydreaming. 

A technically excellent, but also a slow player.

Will probably sign but was reported has offers elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Despite his unquestionable talent He didn't have great season playing U-18's football and I believe that club doesn't want to reward him with early offer of a pro deal after such season and wants to challenge him to do more.

A technically excellent, but also a slow player.

Will probably sign but was reported has offers elsewhere.

Wouldn't call him slow, at least for position He is playing. And Yes, there was reported interest in him from clubs like Brighton and Norwich.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, malek said:

Always like to here about a youths I’ll be honest I do t watch any of their games and really on get my info about them from here and you with a few others always gives a great and insightful opinion when don’t get to read or see else where so thanks for the posts 

How come you know so much anyway? Do you have any involvement in the set up or have a kid playing in the academy or just a avid follow or attends games. I’m assuming you go to the games 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fpowl said:

Always like to here about a youths I’ll be honest I do t watch any of their games and really on get my info about them from here and you with a few others always gives a great and insightful opinion when don’t get to read or see else where so thanks for the posts 

How come you know so much anyway? Do you have any involvement in the set up or have a kid playing in the academy or just a avid follow or attends games. I’m assuming you go to the games 

Thanks on your kind words.

I don't have anything to do with Wednesday academy or anyone playing or coaching within it. Also I don't watch games live, but only seen those (probably all of them in last 5 or 6 years) that were made available on line either through free streams or paid services. I'm incredibly lucky to every now and then get bit of inside information and some of my many questions answered by nice people that are connected with academy and know far more than me. Also there is a fantastic poster on here, great guy and a friend who sent me links with some U-18 and U-23 games that weren't available to general public. All in all I would say that I've seen bit more of these players than average poster on here.

Back home I know and talked about the topic at length with many people who coached and played at that level , some failed to make it while other became international players so I believe I know a bit about whole process and what is required to make it.

So, take my opinion with a pinch of salt, but I can assure that I won't write about a player unless I've seen enough of him to form an opinion.

Hope this answers your question 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3