Next signing almost over the line....Happy about this?

No.

Why do we want a winger? If he can play WB fine, but he’s always played as a forward so that seems unlikely.

Its the first signing this Summer that worries me. Upto this one it’s seemed we had a crystal clear plan. This one suggests a foggy haze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

No.

Why do we want a winger? If he can play WB fine, but he’s always played as a forward so that seems unlikely.

Its the first signing this Summer that worries me. Upto this one it’s seemed we had a crystal clear plan. This one suggests a foggy haze.

Got to have a plan b, main issue trying to switch formations last year was lack of a target man like smith in squad.  There were times sides matched up our 3-5-2 an nullified us,,(eg Oxford away 2nd half) we didn't have options by to change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

No.

Have a completely different view,  personally think it could be our best signing this summer. He will be used as a striker option,  having 4 strikers is not too many it’s the perfect amount.  To cover injuries, fatigue and suspensions. 

Last season when Gregory and Windass were injured we were left with Berahino, Paterson and Sow.  To have the 4 strikers we may have this season is fantastic.

Sir Alex seemed to manage Cole, Yorke, Solksjaer and Sheringham just fine. And Warnock used to have 5 strikers in a matchday squad.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Think it will be "systems" rather than "system" next year.

Key was getting smith in as he can equally play the central role in a 4-3-3 with windass/ wilks either side or in a 4-2-3-1 with windass, bannan and wilks behind. Or Indeed in a 2 up top with Gregory,/windass or wilks.

We should be easily able to switch between 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2  & 4-2-3-1 next year. 

The 5 subs rule will be a big advantage for us with squad being assembled. 

100%, we’re starting to see that desire for flexibility play out.

Got to be honest I really like the look of Windass, Wilks and Gregory/Smith as a 3, but it’s quite exciting to think that’s only one of several options. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Woah, woah, woah!

Don't go pushing things too far, eh?

We've got some reyt tactical geniuses on here.

:duntmatter:

Sorry I’m getting reyt giddy wi all these signings. Course I know, I said I know that us @owlstalk know far better than Moore and his cronies

image.jpeg.fc54d323d70c7258d0cc591aa15fd6c1.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

No.

As a forward option he’s different to what we have and as a wide player he allows us to change things up.

Depth and tactical flexibility aren’t negatives, and 4 strikers is typically considered to ideal amount to cover the rigours of a full season.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

100%, we’re starting to see that desire for flexibility play out.

Got to be honest I really like the look of Windass, Wilks and Gregory/Smith as a 3, but it’s quite exciting to think that’s only one of several options. 

Yep.

Moore is apparently looking for more tactical flexibility.

The signings of Smith and Wilks would make that a lot more possible than what we had last season.

Having the ability to transition between something like these two systems could be really strong, especially with a few more key additions...

131280818_lineup(5).png.7f9f1ca6e1d3e68087bf7b17aa5600d2.png

894705290_lineup(6).png.f4a6f8490a1ff9e25ef5d0f40f782b22.png

• Like 4

Looked very decent at Donny. Doesn’t have to try as hard in league one and is able to show what he’s got. Not many teams in league one have that kind of unpredictable, tricky forward. Seems an ok price and 2 years (maybe a third year option?) seems to avoid us over committing if the same issues arise with him.

If DM can get something from a possibly temperamental but really quality player then it’s an absolute bargain and worth it alone if we are promoted. I’d put him in the Mendez Laing bracket as clear quality but a bit of an enigma on some of the basics 

21 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Nice to have options, isn’t it? 

Without sounding over excited, it feels like this is the clearest and most balanced squad we’ve had in a few years. With a couple more defensive additions, we look like we could line up in any 1 of 3 or 4 different systems with real depth and quality across the park. 

Absolutely. With the 5 substitutions rule coming in next season which I wasn’t in favour of, it will actually benefit us next season. 

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep.

Moore is apparently looking for more tactical flexibility.

The signings of Smith and Wilks would make that a lot more possible than what we had last season.

Having the ability to transition between something like these two systems could be really strong, especially with a few more key additions...

131280818_lineup(5).png.7f9f1ca6e1d3e68087bf7b17aa5600d2.png

894705290_lineup(6).png.f4a6f8490a1ff9e25ef5d0f40f782b22.png

Two good systems there. Think a couple more CB's for the first 11 for when we play with a back 3 and then a natural LB we would be in a really good place squad wise.

• Like 1

Just now, s29wfc said:

Two good systems there. Think a couple more CB's for the first 11 for when we play with a back 3 and then a natural LB we would be in a really good place squad wise.

Yep.

I reckon we'll add another winger or two if that's the kind of setup Moore has in mind, too.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us add a young winger or two on loan towards the end of the window.

23 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Have a completely different view,  personally think it could be our best signing this summer. He will be used as a striker option,  having 4 strikers is not too many it’s the perfect amount.  To cover injuries, fatigue and suspensions. 

Last season when Gregory and Windass were injured we were left with Berahino, Paterson and Sow.  To have the 4 strikers we may have this season is fantastic.

Sir Alex seemed to manage Cole, Yorke, Solksjaer and Sheringham just fine. And Warnock used to have 5 strikers in a matchday squad.   

He’s a good winger and an ineffective striker. We’ve been there and got the tee-shirt.

• Haha 1