Matches you've been to abroad

When I was younger I visited Austria quite often as I have family there. I remember going to see Austria Vienna vs Marseille in the Ernst Happel Stadium. It was a Champions League qualifier. Marseille won the match 1-0 and it wasn't until a few years ago when I checked  back through the line ups from that night did I realise a certain Didier Drogba came on as a late sub. A complete unknown at the time. Also went to Austria vs Germany at the same ground a year later. It was a friendly and Kevin Kuranyi (remember him?) hit a hat-trick

Newell's Old Boy's vs Rosario Central is without doubt the most intense match I've ever been to. Never have I experienced an atmosphere quite like it (and I've been to Boca-River). 90 minutes of pure adrenaline and hate between both sets of supporters. I honestly didn't think I'd get out alive, completely out of control. Newell's (the team Messi supports) won 1-0. I've been to around 100 matches in Argentina and Newell's vs Central was just on another level

Been to most grounds in North Wales to see Cymru Premier games.

In Europe I have been to Barca v Espanyol, Real Madrid V Sevilla and AC Milan V Empoli (possibly the worst game I have watched).

When in the US I went to see Seattle V Minnesota Unite, that was good fun.  I overhead one woman saying to her friend that she only comes to watch the second half as nothing interesting happens in the first half. They had these really cringe worthy 'super fans' with loud speakers who stand on plinths singing awful songs to get the crowd going.

Only game abroad I've been to was Malaga v Real Betis in August 2001. Malaga won 3-2. 

Only other ground I've visited abroad was Camp Nou.

As we seem to be including Welsh grounds then I've also seen Wednesday at Millennium Stadium, Liberty Stadium and Cardiff City Stadium all once. 

I've never been to a game abroad, I'd like to go to a game at the Nou Camp one day, but they werent playing at home the last time I was near there.

I was in Majorca in April and noticed (only the day before the game) that they were at home to Atletico Madrid, so as we weren't too far from Palma looked at the possibility of getting tickets for that. However the 90 euros per ticket for what looked like really poor seats price tag soon put me off - apparently most teams in Spain really jack up their prices for games against the big 3, in fact with season tickets being really cheap some people buy a season ticket and literally only go to a handful of games in the whole year because it works out cheaper than buying tickets for the big 3 games individually.  So I watched bits of Bolton v Wednesday on a terrible live stream instead.

I saw Portland Timbers versus Crystal Palace Baltimore in 2010, just before Portland joined the MLS. I was in Portland visiting friends as part of a West Coast road trip and they took us to the game. It was still the PGE Park baseball stadium before they got rid of the baseball team and redeveloped it into a football ground, so it was weird watching a game on an artificial pitch with a baseball diamond in one corner.

I have to admit, the atmosphere was fantastic - one of the best I've ever experienced. Unfortunately Portland lost 1-0 despite completely dominating the game, so we didn't get to witness the lumberjack slicing off a disc of timber with his chainsaw.

PGEpark.jpeg

We go on holiday each year to a place near Lorient in France, so we've been to 3 Lorient games. Always stand with their ultras and always get welcomed warmly when we get chatting to em in my broken French. Once they see us celebrating as much as they do they love it. Can have a beer in the stands and it costs about a tenner a ticket. 

We're over there for the new season too and the home game is against Lyon. Won't be easy but be nice to see em play a big team. Allez Les Merlus as they say. 

• Like 1

Saw Wednesday play the American national side in Philadelphia in I think 1991. Warhurst made his debut and someone tripped over on the baseball mound. Could have been Paul Williams. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Fiorentina v Lazio (hoping to get over to Florence again this season).

Inter v Milan (Milan won 6-2 I think)

Juventus v Milan

Hamburg v Ingoldstadt

Maritimo v Porto

Strasbourg v PSG 

Switzerland v Albania (Euro 2016)

Also done Maritimo vs Porto.

• Like 1

having lived in spain  for 10 years seen loads there  but on my travels saw saw  monaco v valenciennes at there old ground in 1980 with about 2000 in and and orgryte v halmstadt (i think )1974 in the ullevi where they set  off fireworks to let the fisherman out at sea know when they had scored .......